Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Kenny G discusses new record and new instrument line

Dave,

Thanks for the report. I have great respect for your opinion on horns (excepting our difference of opinion on Yamaha's :) ) If someone in the Chicago area carries these horns I will check them out.

Ed: You know I am no Yamaha fan . . . yet, I acknowledge they make a very nice instrument. I really wanted to like them, even owned two. But in the end, they just don't do it for me. For sure it is a very subtle disappointment - I'm sure many others wouldn't blink an eye over the things that I didn't like. And to define what I didn't like would be almost impossible. It is what I LIKED about other saxophones more than failures of Yamahas.

In a certain way, this was corroborated (to my own satisfaction) at this year's NAMM. Their saxophone display was - how should I put this - pathetic compared to all the others. Their clarinet display was more user friendly. And, after dragging out a few Yamaha saxophones from their display, they weren't worth the effort. I realy wanted to test them and give them a fair shake (in my mind). Not possible.

If someone loves Yamahas, more power to them.

About the Kenny G sopranos, I'm planning on e-mailing Rheuben Allen sometime soon - I have his card on my desk - I just haven't gotten around to it. From what I understand, that model has not been distributed yet but I could be wrong. I look forward to seeing them in the market place. DAVE

Dave,

Us following each other on the Yamaha thing has been fun through the years. I know you take my comments as friendly banter.

I also really like vintage Buescher horns. I'm surprised they're so cheap for what you get.

Dave Dolson said:
I'd buy one if it was available on the market - and was reasonably priced. DAVE
Well, looking at Mr. Gorelick's website, there appears to be one distributor: Sam Ash music. I went to their website and the G horns are not yet available. It's only been a month since that newspaper column, tho.

I really need to send Kenny G an e-mail just to see if he'd register here and say "hi". Hey, he'd have the same rights as any other person on this forum and we've been good.

G'night, all.

I am surprised that KG can play so well out of the side of his mouth. He probably deserves credit for popularizing the soprano universally ,although being from the Buffalo area,Jay Beckenstein of Spyro Gyra was it for me long before I had even heard a KG song and I loved Spyro's latin approach.

Back
Top Bottom