L Lot 6 Keyed Recorder

Hello all!
I was hoping someone would be able to give me some info on this recorder.
Thanks in advance.
Jeff l lot 1.jpgl lot 2.jpgl lot 3.jpgl lot 4.jpgl lot 5.jpg

I know that there was a Louis Lot, also in France, who made flutes. A quick google search tells me he made recorders also.
As I don't know much about him, I can really only tell you this is from the 19th century, probably the latter half of it.

On the Woodwind forum our own Dibbs Dibblewaite ID'd this as a csaken.

The csakan (or czakan) is a type of woodwind instrument that was popular in Vienna in the early 19th century.[SUP][1][/SUP]
A type of duct flute, the csakan was originally crafted in the shape of a walking stick with a mouthpiece in the handle, reflecting the design of similar shepherds' flutes fromHungary, Slovakia and Croatia. From the 1820s, a new design appeared, which was in the shape of an oboe.[SUP][1][/SUP]
According to concert announcements from 1810, Anton Heberle was the inventor of the instrument. He was also the first to perform publicly on it, at a concert in Budapest on 18 February 1807. Later that year, he also published the first music for the instrument, Scala für den Ungarischen Csakan. After the appearance of this Scala, around 400 more works for the csakan were published, including solos, duets, and pieces with piano or guitar accompaniment.[SUP][1][/SUP]
Besides Heberle, the most prominent csakan performer was Ernst Krähmer, who appeared frequently in concerts in Vienna from the 1820s.[SUP][1][/SUP]
The czakan is a transposing instrument in A-flat. Modern manufacturers refer to it as "the Romantic recorder".

Louis Lot is one of the top makers of Boehm flutes in the "French" style. He got the patent rights directly from Boehm, and is the inventor of the open hole, inline style of flute. Lot flutes are absolutely top quality. I had trouble believing that he also made recorders, but indeed a Google search turns up what seem to be credible references. This could be quite a valuable instrument, given the fame and reputation of L. Lot flutes, and by the fact that he made (apparently) very few recorders.

Back
Top Bottom