Langwill Index entry for Wellworth

Hello all, I have a 1920's wooden Boehm flute stamped Wellworth & C, Manchester ENG, A.R.M. Does anyone know if Wellworth is in the Langwill index? I can't get my hands on a copy to check and can't really spend the cash right now to buy a copy. My guess is that Wellworth might be a retailer and not the maker. Thanks for any and all help for a newbie!

I've included a photo pre-overhaul. I've already cleaned the mechanism back to a beautiful shine (no plate loss, cool right?) and oiled the VERY dry bore and body plus fully restored the case. Repadding is going painfully as a lot of the keys require massive shimming. A cool thing is the gutta percha headjoint with a very German-looking square embouchure hole. AND it's at 440, lucky me...

The only reference to "Wellworth & Co." that I've found are to a chain store that operated out of Northern Ireland.

Thanks Gandalfe, I think it's pretty beautiful too. I'll be sure to post pics when it's totally done with it's overhaul. And thanks to other repliers, especially letting me know Wellworth isn't in the Langwill index. I thought it probably wasn't likely. Thanks Pete for the suggestion about Wellworth & Co being out of Ireland. I think this flute must have been made for a retailer by an unknown maker. I'll have to look at a lot of vintage flutes to see if I can narrow the maker down by key design, headjoint shape, etc.

Back
Top Bottom