Leblanc Paper Clip Contra Bass Case Advice

Hey all:

I have just acquired a Leblanc paper clip BBb contra bass clarinet. I sent it to South Florida Horns and Scott Ankrom did a fabulous job restoring this thing to its former glory. It is satin silver plated with a gold wash bell (much like a vintage saxophone), NOT the usual nickel plate one usually sees these in. It is keyed to low D.

The case was shot and it has been thrown out. Does anybody have any ideas on where to begin looking for a case for this instrument? Right now, I have narrowed my options to an Altieri gig bag, or a Pelican Storm hard case (these are typically used for rifles and shotguns). Of course, I would have to cut the foam insets out to the appropriate size to fit the contra. I would like an original style hard case though, and am holding out that I might be able to find one before going with one of the options above. Any leads?

Thanks,

Steve

Why not a standard low C case and use some extra padding? I'd assume this would be the cheapest option. They're $453, here and 445 Pounds Sterling here. It's also possible that you can contact Conn-Selmer, the current owners of Leblanc, to see if they have an official recommendation.

Also a quick Google turned up these guys. They can make custom soft cases.

Why not a standard low C case and use some extra padding? I'd assume this would be the cheapest option. They're $453, here and 445 Pounds Sterling here. It's also possible that you can contact Conn-Selmer, the current owners of Leblanc, to see if they have an official recommendation.

Also a quick Google turned up these guys. They can make custom soft cases.

Thanks. Brook Mays does not offer the contra case any more and the one from reed and squeak is for the two piece contra, not the paperclip. It's looking more and more like I will be going with an Altieri gig bag.

The Paperclip is a two piece contra, and the Reed and Squeak case is made for it. Much better option than the stock case. However if you have a low D model or a low C with the detachable foot joint for C and C#, you're better off getting a bassoon gig bag which is even smaller.

Back
Top Bottom