Legere Ouch!

I have always enjoyed the sound and convenience of Legere reeds in my wind instruments but have only been able to use them for short periods because of the sharpness of their edges. As they get used I also find the edges turn up a minute amount from rail contact and this increases the tendency of edge sharpness. I`ve tried sanding the edges to try and round them a little but have had little success. Anyone else experienced this and have found a solution?

I don't use Legere, but I have noticed from time to time that my regular cane reeds seem to have this effect. I always just used a razor blade or a flat piece of metal to just dull the sharpness. I never actually thought of why it occurred :geezer1:

I think the mechanics of the set up would suggest that the edges of all reeds have pressure from the MPC rails on them causing them to turn up. I notice it on cane also but more on Legere because you can be using a Legere reed for months. The problem with sanding or scraping the edges is it probably softens the reed.

I'm currently playing Clarinet I on a production of The Sound Of Music, and thus am logging a lot more clarinet time than is normal for me these days. With the way that a Legere reed feels on my baritone, I can only imagine how much abuse my lips would take with the same on the clarinet.

I really wanted to like the Legere reeds, and even went so far as to purchase a significant spread of Legere reeds for same, bracketing my normal Vandorns on both sides (just to be safe). What I found was:

1) The reeds softened up after a short period of playing, so much so that I could not rely on them to be consistent.

2) The edges were hard on my lips. This combined with the lack of texture (which made it hard for me to keep a consistent position on the reed) was the real killer for the deal.

Over the years, I've tried most of the synthetic reed products as they became available, but in no case was I as satisfied with them as with plain ol' cane. But, that's why it's still a free world.

And, I lasted about thirty seconds with a synthetic bassoon reed. Horrid tone, same mouth feel problems.

Terry hits a lot of the reasons I don't play Legere's.

I prefer Fibracells if I'm going to go synthetic. I played on them for a couple of years after getting annoyed by cane but eventually moved back to cane. Our classical conductor couldn't tell that I was playing them and she was shocked when I told her I had been doing so for nearly two years. I still mostly play fibracells on soprano since I rarely play the horn and I haven't settled on a setup.

I also like that the Fibracells play the same from the first note to one hour later. They don't soften or change. The downside is that when they fail there's little warning.

I personally play Legere exclusively on clarinet and bass clarinet.

I'm currently at 4 1/4 Quebec cut (may go up later ... but for now this is a good place to be) (playing on a vandoren B45 on clarinet and a selmer C* on bass clarinet)

I've never had a problem of anything curling up.

They do definitely soften up as you play them however. I have two things I do to remedy that. 1) as it softens up I bring the reed off the tip a bit to make it harder again. and/or 2) for clarinet I have four 4 1/4 quebec cut reeds ... so I switch them out. ... bass clarinet i have two.

:eek:)

Back
Top Bottom