Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Lieutenant Kije Suite

Carl H.

Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member
Anybody got a good scan of the sax part? I'll be doing it in January to a reduced orchestration and I'm not sure the part I was given (Tenor part) isn't a simplified part. Some of the ornamentation seems to be left out.

I need to decide if I want to do the tenor part or bring someone in to play the part. The clarinet part is more challenging and I am concerned how my 2nd clarinet and a sub might do on it.

Whadda ya know?

I didn't have any troubles with either part the last time I came across it. It was the only time that I ever used the bargain price mint Mark VI tenor that we scored in a concert, and it was marred (for me, at least) by the conductor's insistence on (for me) relatively broad vibrato when playing the part.

I can vibrate when needed, and do it broadly enough on the baritone, but I was always under the impression that the piece in question called for little of same. However, he had heard only one recording of the piece, and the sax player on that was heavy with the shakes.

So, move the diaphragm I did, and there you go. Other than covering the first tenor part once for a student band that was desperate for a sub one night and I covered it until the band could get a replacement in and I could drop back to the bari part.

I hate to play sax for an orchestra, even though parts by Gershwin are always wonderful to play. The problem was that in every group (paid or unpaid), the sax parts were so rare there were never consistent players always available. And, even when there were others who would show up, they were unexperienced with orchestra charts and played them like they were at the rehearsal band meetings.

I've got no problem with orchestral playing, been doing it professionally for a whole bunch of years. It is the specific notation in the tenor saxophone part which is missing from this copy I have. I did it in college and am pretty sure there is something missing from this edition. Unfortunately it was many years and hundreds of gigs ago and a few states to boot too.

I could listen to many recordings, but I prefer to take my cues from the original manuscript where ever possible. I suppose I should go and buy my own part and be done with it.

...or, in a perfect world, they would supply it.

Back when I first moved down here, I played bass clarinet and auxiliary horns for a civic orchestra way up on the north side of the Houston Metro area.

While they were relatively new, they did have an ambitious enough programming slant to allow for charts that required a bass clarinet. A few Broadway show arrangements always loosen up a program full of Brahms and Wagner.

However, what did the group in for me was when they did Grofe's "On The Trail". I heard from the librarian that this was on the schedule, and I have to say that I was eager to play the upcoming concert, not having played the famous "donkey drop" sequences since college.

However, when I got to the rehearsal, what we were playing was a student arrangement, one where the three bass clarinet solos had been transferred to the Bassoon I book. Bummer.

Back
Top Bottom