Looking at mics

I play bass clarinet and soprano clarinet, and would like to start recording myself playing. Started to look into microphones only to realize there is a huge variety and I dont know what to choose, after a little research I believe a large condenser mic is recommended (correct if wrong), I am eyeing one that I think will work, just had some questions on it. It says that it comes with a shock mount, but I cant tell if that is a full stand or only part of it, and secondly what technology would I need to buy to use with the microphone, since I cant just plug it directly into my computer. Any help and advice is appreciated, thanks in advance.

How'bout getting something along the lines of a Zoom H1? You can used it independently (record directly to .wav or .mp3) or hook it up to your computer as an USB microphone. I found its recording quality more than adequate for my needs.

You'll almost certainly need a stand. The shock mount will be a thing that suspends the mic between elastic cords.

You''ll need an audio interface with phantom power to connect it to the computer.

Here are several to look at.

http://www.junodownload.com/plus/best-audio-interfaces-for-home-studios/

Another, possibly cheaper option is to get a USB condenser mic that does plug into your computer like this:

http://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/Behringer-C-1U-USB-Condenser-Microphone/BGT

The links above are just random examples from a google search not recommendations.

How'bout getting something along the lines of a Zoom H1? You can used it independently (record directly to .wav or .mp3) or hook it up to your computer as an USB microphone. I found its recording quality more than adequate for my needs.

I used to have a Zoom recorder but a different model. It was very good for recording to itself but I had a lot of issues with the driver when trying to use it as a USB mic. They may well have sorted those issues out by now, of course.

I've used my Zoom H6 successfully as a recording interface. It's also an excellent standalone recorder. I have a variety of mics available, and given some experimentation, and a decent space to record in, you can get a good sound in a lot of different ways.

If you have a look at some of the videos on my channel, I've actually used about 3 or 4 different mics and recorders at various times to record instruments and voices.

Back
Top Bottom