Looking for lyric help on R-E-S-P-E-C-T

SOTSDO

Old King Log
Staff member
CE/Moderator
I am looking to chart out the backup singer lyrics for this tune, since I have found that not all girl singers know all of the wrinkles and when to come in with the "H'mmm" at one specific point in the verse.

Getting the lead lyric is a snap, what with the Internets and all. But, I haven't seen a similar offering for the backup singers. Does anyone have a chart with all of this written out, or am I going to have to go the "replay and write" route? It's very tedious...

Terry: What's so difficult about "sock it to me - sock it to me - sock it to me . . . ."?

Just kidding . . . . DAVE

Short of doing the old listen and write routine myself, I don't think there are any resources such as that on the net. You just might have to take and hour or tow out of your day to hammer it out.

All is not lost, for I have found a couple of sets of lyrics that include most of the backup stuff. They are written in the usual jumbled Internet form, but it's a start point.

Now, all I have to do is to put it against the meter of the piece. I'm trying to avoid writing it all out in Finale, but I may end up doing it anyway.

We have a commercial arrangement (Holmes, I think) that does well enough with the lead, but without the "whoop" here and there to punctuate it, it just doesn't "sing". When people have heard it as a group thing for all of these years, it's a bit of a letdown to have it sung by a lead vocalist alone.

We have another Franklin screamer, that being Think. The arranger said at the time that it was his most difficult vocal chart to date. But, with all three girls cooking on it, it really screams.

Back
Top Bottom