M. Lacroix bass clarinet

Hi

Does anyone know anything about M. Lacroix bass clarinets? All I know is that it's made in France and it's old. The owner says one person (the repairer who sold it to him) estimated it from around the 30s-40s. I think that's possible but it can also be later, hard to say. This one is wood, to low Eb and has the automatic double register mechanism.

From the little I could find, M. Lacroix was most likely a stencil, made in France, imported to the USA. One person suggested it's made by Malerne. Did Malerne ever make bass clarinets with the automatic double register mechanism? I don't think I've ever seen one. What other actual maker it can be?

I'll have photos later.

Thanks

I have one too...bought it about 30 years ago when I briefly lived in New Jersey. It was a 'fixer-upper' when I bought it, and I haven't yet gotten a 'round tuit' to fix it up.

Randy,

It's good to hear your endorsement that the one that you played, played well.

Maybe that will help nudge me towards finally getting it in playing condition.

Here are photos of the upper joint.

I agree, this is a good bass clarinet. It might not be as good as the best Buffet and Selmer models (more recently I might add Yamaha too) but it is a decent bass clarinet with good tone and mostly good response. It does have a few quirks e.g. stuffy throat Bb and low Eb and a few others. I might make some changes to one or both register tubes to improve some things. Plus maybe add a vent hole and possibly an extension to the left hand first finger key (if the owner is interested).

My LaCroix bass clarinet came to me from my father, well worn, but playing well. It had a great compact case in mediocre condition. I had to restore a top of the line Selmer bass clarinet to get something better.

Every now and then, my old LaCroix bass clarinet comes back to me for minor repairs. The current owner doesn't know it once was mine. I wish I still had it for a backup, and for sentimental reasons...

I repaired a LaCroix alto clarinet once. The wood had dried out and shrunk. That means the outside gets smaller and the inside gets bigger. It was horribly sharp.

I evaluate instruments one at a time, on their own terms.

Back
Top Bottom