Matching reed to mouthpiece question

Hi. Im a rank beginner and the mouthpiece that came with my Buffet e11 Bb is a vandoren m13. The recommended softest reed, as per the vandoren chart, is a 3.5. Because I am just beginning, and developing my embouchure, I wish to use a 2.5 vandoren reed. I have played this reed on this mouthpiece the couple days I've been playing, with decent results. Is it OK to keep using this soft of a reed on this mouthpiece as I am learning, or will it cause me to develop a bad technique that must be corrected when I move up to the recommended 3.5? Or, should I just go ahead and switch to a 3.5 and learn on that, jumping into the deep end, so to speak. I do not have the money to switch to a more beginner, softer reed-friendly mouthpiece. Thanks in advance for your answers. Jason

I would start with a reed strength that you are comfortable with and can make a sound without overblowing or biting. In my experience, Vandoren mouthpieces tend to have a lot of resistance (although I've not played a M13). The M13 appears to be a pro piece, and may be something you can grow into eventually. I think you are more likely to develop bad habits using too hard of a reed. A very affordable student mouthpiece with great reviews is the Clark Fobes Debut. About $32 on Amazon.

The best way to avoid developing bad habits is to take lessons from an experienced teacher.

Thanks so much, saxhound. You make excellent points, and I think your suggestion about going with the forbes mouthpiece may be what I do. However, I am making some good tones with the 2.5 on the m13 mouthpiece. But I like your advice. Thanks so much.

Recommendations for reed strength are a guide only. Your mouthpiece will work perfectly well on a 2.5 or even less. Use what you are comfortable with and move up from there when you are ready. Don't use reed strength as a score card, as so many students do. It's not a race, just use what works best for you.

Thanks, Tony. It seems to be doing ok right now, as I am making good, clear tones using the 2.5 vandoren on the m13 mouthpiece. I blew my first note on the 2.5 with this mouthpiece, so I may just stick with the 2.5 on this m13 for a while since it is working well, and maybe wait till later to move up to the recommended stiffer reed for a more solid sound with high notes. Good recommendation. Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom