Md. Bands?

This is primarily aimed at Roger Aldridge, but others please feel free to jump in. I just discovered that I'm going to be in southeastern Md. (Lexington Park to be specific) one week a month until at least next spring. Are there any community bands in the area that would welcome an occasional 2nd/3rd/Eb clarinet player?

I did this to find theaters where I could play in the pit when I was detailed to Sunnyvale CA for a month in 1986 or 87. Got to put two more shows under my belt, and kept my skills up while I was gone from home. And, it gave me something to do with my evenings besides eat myself to death.

I did my research via telephone, and I won't say that it was easy. However, in a large metro area like the Bay Area, there was plenty going on, to the point that I had to choose two out of three shows.

I gave up on concert bands back in the 1980's, this due to the politics and "possessiveness" of the players in same. I tried a couple back in 1992 (my town has a band, for example), just to see if my attitude had changed, but I've not darkened the door of one since.

Pit orchestras, well they're another story entirely. These days, I do three musicals a year (in the spring), and I've been known to sneak in another couple here and there when I get the chance. Private schools, churches and community groups down here pay pretty well (say $500 for six rehearsals and three or four shows), but the main thing is the challenge.

Gandalfe, I get out to Seattle 4 or 5 times a year, actually to Boeing in Kent. Back in August I contacted a band in Burien. They were very welcoming, but had just ended their season. I'll be back after the first of the year and will let you know.

Gandalfe, I get out to Seattle 4 or 5 times a year, actually to Boeing in Kent. Back in August I contacted a band in Burien. They were very welcoming, but had just ended their season. I'll be back after the first of the year and will let you know.
Well we have three bands, two jazz bands that go all year and a concert band that goes from August to June.

Here's my fav video of a concert that I actually missed because I was doing a Chorus Line pit gig. As a matter of fact the tenor sax player behind the 'screamer' subbed for me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom