More ideas about my new approach to ensemble writing.

Roger Aldridge

Composer in Residence
Distinguished Member
More ideas are coming together about the 5-horn jazz ensemble scores I'm working on.

Here's one: Existing small jazz groups -- such as quartets or quintets -- could add a 5-piece horn section on an ad-hoc basis and use these charts for special gigs. Just about any combination of wind instruments can be used (within the range of each horn line). In this way, pulling together a horn section can be based on player availability or specific tone colors wanted for the ensemble. It's all about FLEXIBILITY!

One of the section configurations that I can't wait to hear is alto flute, oboe, clarinet, horn, and bassoon. That is, a woodwind quintet with alto flute replacing concert flute. But, a section could also be more conventional with brass or saxes or clarinets (Bb clarinets, bass clarinets, optional contra-alto) or a mix of brass & saxes.... One can also let their imagination go totally wild. How about an alto flute, soprano sax, english horn, bassoon, and tuba? ha ha

Frustration opened the door to this concept. I became tired of writing charts for specific instruments and then have directors or groups complain that they didn't have a particular instrument. After being frustrated one time too many, the idea came to me to write charts for non-specific instrumentation and then have parts written for a whole bunch of wind instruments. In this way, ensembles can use the parts for the horns they have. It's such a SIMPLE idea. I'm now wondering why I didn't think about it years ago! ha ha

Two charts have been finished (Connecticut Avenue SUVs and New Tango No. 1: Movement). I'm starting to work on Baltimore Rowhouse. Blues for Lester will probably be next in line.

Please let me know if you have a group and would like to take these charts for a test drive. Just send an email and I'll send a ZIP file with a complete set of parts & score.

Thanks, Roger

I've been meaning to ask you Roger, could these pieces be used in sax quartets or would they need to be quintets? As you know, I don't don the jazz combo thang anymore. But I would be interested in sampling music for my sax 4-tet, especially if it were original. :cool:

Thanks for asking Jim! Sorry, the series of charts that I'm focusing on now need a larger ensemble than a sax quartet. They are written for a 5-piece horn section, rhythm section, and featured soloist(s).

At some point in time, I'll get around to a sax quartet. But, for now, my intuition is very hot about a mid-size jazz ensemble with this flexible instrumentation approach. I'm not sure if there's anything out there exactly like what I'm doing in these scores. It feels to me that I've found my groove.

I hope that The Woodwind Forum members will know that I'm intensely interested in having these scores performed with a woodwind quintet (with alto flute), jazz rhythm section, and soloist. Each score was written with a woodwind quintet in mind.

If anyone on the forum can help this music connect with adventurious WWQs interested in performing with jazz musicians, I'd be most grateful. These scores represent my personal approach to blending contemporary classical and jazz. The music is intended to be a fun and natural-sounding friendship.....not forced or entirely too serious for one to stomach (thinking of some of the Third-Stream stuff from the 60's).

Back
Top Bottom