Mouthpiece pads

Hi everyone!

I am currently looking for a mouthpiece patch for both my clarinet and alto sax. What would be a suitable patch for me (a music ed-trombone player)?

Any and ALL info will be grateful.

I have always liked the Runyon mouthpiece savers. They are inexpensive and come in packs of two. I prefer the black cushioned ones over the clear style. Your local music store should have them, or you can get them at wwbw.

I have been a proponent of using mouthpiece patches for beginning students for years. They help to keep the teeth returning to the same spot each time you play, they help to take away the discomfort of the vibrations in the beginning, and (I believe) they help to open the teeth and the oral cavity.

When trying out new mouthpieces they are essential to protect from teeth scratches to the top surface.

Neat. Thanks for the advice!

I just received a reply from my friend and he recommends using medical tape or electrical tape. Any pros and cons on that?

Some tapes leave a sticky residue on the mouthpiece that is hard to remove. Also to form any type of cushion, the tape has to be layered. I have tried the tape in the past and found that it doesn't adhere for any length of time.

The electrical tape will also leave a really bad taste in the mouth after some of the adhesive leeches out from siliva. I do not recommend it past just testing how a mpc patch would work.

I use the clear Yamaha patches - medium thickness. They also (last time i checked) made a thin one too which was too thin for me. The thicker ones i don't like. SO .. they are all a personal preference.

Good luck

I've used electrical tape for years and haven't noticed any taste issues. I also replace it as soon as it looks like it is at all worn.

The clear patches from Yamaha and Runyon work well and aren't that expensive.

I've used electrical tape for years and haven't noticed any taste issues. I also replace it as soon as it looks like it is at all worn.

The clear patches from Yamaha and Runyon work well and aren't that expensive.
I used to use electrical tape and layered it too .. until the taste issues after about the 4th use .. and tried it many times.

Maybe it's the brand .. someone quickly do an analysis of all the brands in the world and vintage electrical tape as they probably have different adhesives ... lol

Pre '41 Egyptian rubber tape is the only tape to use. The rest is lacking in resonance.

That's why you should only use 1947 duct tape. US Government issue, only. Grey has the best resonance.

=======

Somewhat more seriously, I'd think that both the adhesive used and material the mouthpiece is made of would make a difference. I dunno much about adhesives, but I'm sure a few are poisonous and I'd hate to find one that (say) dissolves crystal mouthpieces. I also would say that some adhesives might be next to impossible to remove from the mouthpiece, if that's a concern (WD-40 dissolves the adhesive for duct tape, BTW).

I've never really used patches. One of my instructors did, though. He used a piece of rubber from a bicycle intertube and cemented it on his mouthpiece.

I've used patches on all my mouthpieces since my university days. One of my instructors there did, and had us all do it. The habit stuck. Now that I play mostly metal mouthpieces, I really like not having the metal vibrate my teeth and head as much.

As for brands, I have used the Selmer black rubber ones forever, since those are what our local music stores carry. I have tried the thinner, clear ones, but I prefer the extra cushion you get from the thicker rubber.

BTB, I too have heard (from my instructor) that the patch opens your throat just a little more.

Some people swear by hockey tape - the cloth stuff they use to wrap sticks and pads.

I have also heard that using a patch opens up your throat. I actually stack two of the thick Runyons on my Ponzol metal pieces.

On Sax

I'm not currently using one on sax, but when I do ... I use a thin-med clear patch - Yamaha for example.

On Clarinet: ..

I'm not sure of the brand, but I go for the thickest mouthpiece patch I can find. The last me ages and ages and ages.

A lot of guys I know prefer a thick patch on clarinet ... the thing to keep in mind though is just because you have a thick mouthpiece patch, doesn't mean you should give yourself license to bite down while playing ;o)

I could be wrong, but I think the best bet would be to try a couple out and find what's comfortable and natural for you :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom