Music Techs in the Modern World

Gandalfe

Striving to play the changes in a melodic way.
Staff member
Administrator
I really like my music repair techs. But not a single one is under 60 years of age and I'm talking about the masters like Sarge at Worldwide Sax, Paul Woltz at Kennelly Keys, Steve Nelson at Mills music and more. Is music repair becoming a lost art? Are modern musical instruments considered disposable? Where are the youngsters?

The guys that I use for major stuff (St. Louis Woodwind and Brasswind Repair) are both in their late 40's, with some who work for them being in their thirties. The programs are still active that turn out excellent technicians, so there is some new blood in the system.

However, the "big" shops (many of which were operated by Brook-Mays prior to the bankruptcy) are all gone now. The local tech that I use here (Fred Freeman) works for a restarted H & H Music Service, which came back into business after Brook-Mays failed (they had been bought out by B-M about ten years ago). There is one technician in the shop (Fred) and he is well up in years.

I recall seeing a significant number of young folks working at the main Brook Mays facility up in Dallas, back when their "Pro shop" was co-located with the repair shop in the early 2000's. Don't know where they all went, though...

I know that Sarge had a guy "apprenticing" at WWS. I've seen pics. He looks like he's in his early 20's.

When I was going to college in the late 1980's at SUNY Fredonia, they had a woodwind repair class. I've talked to a couple folks, through the years, that have started in on that career path. Heck, even I was considering it.

I still think your "masters" might be relatively old.

I took my '32 Cigar Cutter to Jim Scimonetti's shop earlier this week. Except for Jim, the whole shop are younger guys. The fellow who worked on my horn is a younger guy (late '20's/early '30's, I'd guess) and he did a wonderful job on it. DAVE

There are plenty of young guys getting into the repair field. The good thing is, they are born into a world with tools and supplies that have greatly improved the repair business, and they understand that it takes a substantial investment in tools to gain the advantage of the new technology. I'm just old enough to be in touch with the "old days" of simple tools, lots of hand work, and skills developed by careful practice.

The ideal situation is both old, experienced techs and young guys eager to learn. Our shop has 6 guys, and the youngest never played an instrument. In the first 2 years, he learned how to produce an admirable technique on every horn and string instrument he fixes. He's not going to be a pro player, but he's going to be a formidable technician, and he already blows me away on percussion and string repairs.

The down side is this:
We are headed for a throwaway society when it comes to musical instruments. Everything else (toasters, DVD players, etc.) is already there. The public is used to it. Repair techs have to face a new challenge - Their work is nearly as expensive as a new horn, and some of the cheapest/tackiest horns play OK.

The modern repair tech faces the same challenge as the modern commercial musician. He must listen to the consumer's desires and find a way to deliver the results. My most important asset to my employer as a repairman is this:

When a pro comes to me with a horn that needs more than an overhaul, and he has a gig that night, and he's almost broke, I have to figure out a way to get him out of trouble, cheap!

When someone comes to me with a beautiful Mark VI saxophone, in pristine condition, except where he fell on it last night, I have to be able to repair the instrument invisibly. It might cost more, but it's worth it.

When someone comes to me with a brand new $195.00 saxophone that doesn't play, I have to decide whether it's in my employer's best interest and the customer's best interest to even start the repair. No use racking up a big repair bill on a horn that will fail tomorrow, no matter what I do, but often I can find a simple solution for a small fee, and gain a customer who trusts me.

Any repairman who sets himself up as the ultimate judge of how to do a repair, regardless of the desires of the customer, is usually not a truly great repairman. There are a lot of technicians who fit this description. A great repairman can deliver a wide variety of results, while respecting both the instrument and the customer. Find a tech that will work with you.

Last edited:
I find many "old school" techs I've come across too set in there ways and opinions for me to deal with. And, often the quality of the work can equal their perceived thinking about your playing skill. Younger guys are less biased from my experience.

For example, I've been taking my horns to Matt Stohrer in NYC. He's a young guy with plenty skills in both repair and customer service. It's worth the trip for me. Their's a couple older techs here in the Philly area who could learn a few things from him.

When someone comes to me with a brand new $195.00 saxophone that doesn't play, I have to decide whether it's in my employer's best interest and the customer's best interest to even start the repair. No use racking up a big repair bill on a horn that will fail tomorrow, no matter what I do, but often I can find a simple solution for a small fee, and gain a customer who trusts me.
I had a person e-mail me about a horn, today, (the horn's an eBay special) that he bought for all of $92. Kewl, but the horn has major damage and is missing all its pads. I guesstimate -- using Sarge's overhaul pricelist as a guide -- that'd be at least $1000 to fix this thing. I also guesstimate that the maximum value of this thing, even in "perfect" shape, is going to be around $500 or so. It might be a good player, when finished, but still ....

I suggested that he call up Sarge and see if he can get some trade in toward the $829 restored YTS-23 that's on www.worldwidesax.com.

I write about the subject of when a horn's repair just isn't worth it and how you can tell, in depth, in my thread on horn value.

My saxophone repair guy is Bill Singer, located on 43rd st at 10th ave in NYC. Bill has to have close to 30 years experience repairing in NYC but he doesn't look to be that old. I've been taking my business to Bill for 15 years or so, and his work is of the highest quality, so I haven't been shopping around to see what else is out there. But I'm sure that NYC has plenty of new repair techs. Some make and reface mouthpieces, some carry their own line of saxophones.

So the future of saxophone repair in NY looks good.

I guess I just get nervous sometimes. There's plenty of life in my techs. I luv watching them work and have been known to show up with a Latte (hey, this *is* Seattle) for come chatter. Helen and I get to visit Sarge at Worldwide Sax next week. It's been a while since I've dropped in to drool over his tenor sax collection. :cool:

I guess I just get nervous sometimes. There's plenty of life in my techs. I luv watching them work and have been known to show up with a Latte (hey, this *is* Seattle) for come chatter. Helen and I get to visit Sarge at Worldwide Sax next week. It's been a while since I've dropped in to drool over his tenor sax collection. :cool:
Say "hi" to him for me. I've referred enough folks to him. (See if that's built up enough cred for me to get my wife's alto overhauled for free. :))

Back
Top Bottom