My 6M-VIII vs Ref 54 vs PB(x2 maybe?)

**For Mods** I'm cross posting this from SOTW. I didn't see anywhere else to put a "VS - Opinions Wanted" thread, so I threw it here. Feel free to shuffle it around or do what you gotta do. Thanks! **/for Mods**

Current horn: 1945 Silver Plated (95-97% intact) Conn 6M-VIII. (Purchased Feb '97)

Thinking-about-it horns: Used (probably) Selmer Reference 54 alto or (New) Phil Barone Alto (+ PB Sop or Tenor).

Background: I've been playing music since age 7, saxophone since I was 11. I did the usual rented sax, then my mom suprised me with a student model (used Armstrong) horn around 7th or 8th grade. After seeing that I was going to stick with it a bit (and at the urging of both my private lesson teacher and band director) we started looking into a "new" horn for me. I had been active on AMS and RMMS from about the age of 14 and at the time was almost 16 years old. I wound up tracking down a good deal on an overhauled SP 6M-VIII from USA horn. I had the option of that or a brand new YAS-62 (with prototype Custom series keywork, I take it a prototype for the 62II), and I chose the Conn. I love the horn, the sound, and even the ergonomics fit me fairly well (big hands).

I proceeded to outgrow my then teacher, and wound up finding someone with a doctorate in saxophone (U of Miami for undergrad, U of Arizona for grad work) who was new(ish) to town and took me in as a student. She is an accomplished teacher and player who is deep rooted in classical saxophone. She also has some of the finest altos I've ever touched (a VI she bought new and has been playing most of her career, and a hand-selected Hummingbird CE she picked up this summer after playing most every alto @ WWBW). My horn was closeted for a few years since I've had kids and a life with responsibility. I started playing in a community band last April and my love for music has been rekindled, and I got back into playing on a serious level (for fun). She is trying to guide me down the path of picking up a more modern horn, as she sees limitations with the Conn keyboard (and is a huge proponent of the F#3 key for additional options for altissimo fingerings).

My horn had been out of regulation for quite sometime, so its been in the shop for the past 3.5 weeks with the local sax-specific tech for a complete teardown/rebuild (replacing pads/corks/felts as needed). I'm expecting to pick it up on Friday and we can re-evaluate the horn after its back up to as-new (or better) playing condition. It's been a killer horn, but after playing her Hummingbird, my interest is piqued. I've played an 82z, and am going to pick up a buddy's Black Nickel SX-90r to take for a spin on Thursday, but the Hummingbird has the gears in my head turning.

I don't want to part ways with my Conn - and about altissimo I've read hundreds of threads and thousands of posts here (not counting my newsgroup days) about additional keys and the pros/cons - but if the right opportunity came up and I found the Ref 54 that was perfect for me I may jump ship and start over with an "S" infront of my nose.

Another option, as I'm an intermediate level player and though musically inclined (much like 95+% of the frequenters of this forum), I don't believe I'll ever be a professional player, and realize that instead of having one killer vintage alto, I could sell it and get two modern horns from someone like Phil Barone. I know there are mixed feelings on these horns (and PMs, for that matter), but for the $$$ for someone who isn't going to be a gigging pro, would it not be reasonable to have a nice modern alto and tenor (or soprano) with a quality mouthpiece on each (I only have one alto mpc now, as I sold off the others to pay for the decent sized repair bill. I've never owned a tenor or soprano mouthpiece before, so it would be a bonus.)

I don't mind saving up some more scratch to throw on top of my horn to trade for a well set-up 54, but it would take me a little while. I'm just throwing this out to get some thoughts (other than my own back and forth waverings) on this choice that's laid out in front of me.

Cliff notes: Keep my 6M-VIII or save some pennies and sell it/trade it + cash for a nice Ref 54 or sell it outright and buy two PB horns

If you skipped to the Cliffs, you're wise beyond your years. If you read the whole thing, thanks for entertaining the ideas of a stressed out father of two who has but few passions left in his life, the chief among them being music.

**BRENT**

MexicanDragon said:
**For Mods** I'm cross posting this from SOTW. I didn't see anywhere else to put a "VS - Opinions Wanted" thread, so I threw it here. Feel free to shuffle it around or do what you gotta do. Thanks! **/for Mods**
Yah. Don't worry about it. "General Discussion" is the best place for this.

We are actually trying to cut down on the number of forum areas. If we find that there are a large number of threads for a specific subject/topic, we'll certainly create an area -- or if our members request one.

However, thanks very much for being considerate enough to mention it. I appreciate it.

And welcome to the Forum!

Regarding the Barone saxophones, you have seen http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?t=74503, right? If Mr. Barone's havening some problems and is switching suppliers, you definitely want to read that -- particularly if you've play-tested one of his horns in the past and said "I like this" because the horn is (somewhat) different, now.

I also think that even Mr. Barone would say that the Reference 54 is definitely not in the same league as his horn. Even the pricepoints are markedly different: the soprano (I'm havening difficulties searching and finding other horns, so I'll just mention sop) Barone is $1000. The S80 III is $4000.

I really do not have a problem at all with where the horn is manufactured. I just care about how it works. But, using an automobile analogy, the Barone's priced like a top-of-the-line Kia. The S80 III is priced like a top-of-the-line Mercedes. Yah, that top-of-the-line Kia may look a lot like that Mercedes (which is why I picked it), but which is better? Which will hold its value longer? Which will last longer?

More in a bit.

don't forget the SIII is built with french wages vs Taiwan wages

i still miss my rock solid Antigua 586 i sold to Gandalfe (when can i have that back??)

future value ? On PM horn .. probably half of what you bought it for. even if you bought it today and try and sell it tomorrow you may not got a good amount of that back. Just take a look at P.Mauriat or even Cannonball horn resale value.

... Continuing ...

I'm also not sure how the Barone horns entered the picture for you. You say you tried a Reference 54 and now you might want to get a Barone. That doesn't add up.

Gandalfe can tell you about the Reference horns, I'm sure, and I'm not going to encourage or discourage GAS, but if you think the Reference 54 is "for you", why bother with teh Barone?

FWIW, I'd recommend talking over the horn with your instructor. It sounds like you have a good one and I think she'd be the first person to talk with. I can agree with her that the Conn's not exactly the instrument of choice when it comes to classical work, but it's not a bad horn. It's possible that your repair work will leave you GAS free. :)

I think the horns from Taiwan have come a long way but I still prefer a horn from the big four over something made in Taiwan. I had an Antigua Winds A-590SPC that I sold when I picked up a Rampone & Cazzanni R1. As much as I liked the Antigua Winds the R&C was the better horn.

To answer Brent's question.

I would keep the 6M. The 6M-VIII is a classic horn that can take you anywhere. I know of one prominent jazz player who plays classical on his 6M. Probably the exception though. The key work is plenty fast on the 6M and if you're playing any jazz you'll love the horn. Even in a community band I can't imagine the Conn being anything but a great horn.

I wouldn't go Conn 6M to a horn from Taiwan (or at least any of the altos made in Taiwan that I've played). It's like trading in a great 56 Chevy for a Hyundai.

pete said:
Regarding the Barone saxophones, you have seen http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?t=74503, right? If Mr. Barone's havening some problems and is switching suppliers, you definitely want to read that -- particularly if you've play-tested one of his horns in the past and said "I like this" because the horn is (somewhat) different, now.

I also think that even Mr. Barone would say that the Reference 54 is definitely not in the same league as his horn. Even the pricepoints are markedly different: the soprano (I'm havening difficulties searching and finding other horns, so I'll just mention sop) Barone is $1000. The S80 III is $4000.

I really do not have a problem at all with where the horn is manufactured. I just care about how it works. But, using an automobile analogy, the Barone's priced like a top-of-the-line Kia. The S80 III is priced like a top-of-the-line Mercedes. Yah, that top-of-the-line Kia may look a lot like that Mercedes (which is why I picked it), but which is better? Which will hold its value longer? Which will last longer?

More in a bit.

... Continuing ...

I'm also not sure how the Barone horns entered the picture for you. You say you tried a Reference 54 and now you might want to get a Barone. That doesn't add up.

Gandalfe can tell you about the Reference horns, I'm sure, and I'm not going to encourage or discourage GAS, but if you think the Reference 54 is "for you", why bother with teh Barone?

FWIW, I'd recommend talking over the horn with your instructor. It sounds like you have a good one and I think she'd be the first person to talk with. I can agree with her that the Conn's not exactly the instrument of choice when it comes to classical work, but it's not a bad horn. It's possible that your repair work will leave you GAS free.

Where to start!? First of all, I've been sitting at the comp for a few hours but haven't had the time to respond. I found out about a master class with Dr. Otis Murphy tomorrow at 4, so I've been on the horn with everyone I could possibly think of who may be interested. It wasn't finalized til about 5pm today, and I didn't know til 9pm. Also got back in touch with quite a few old aquaintances today... been interesting.

Where to start, yes. First of all, I'm very impressed with the quality of reply here as opposed to that of SOTW. Though there have been some good thoughts sent my way, I'm sure many just glossed over it and went on their way. Quite a few more specific questions requiring a response from me are presented here, though I spent a bit of replying over on SOTW earlier this evening... now to the NKOTB.

I have read almost every word on the PB horns from both Phil himself and quite a few others who have bought the horns or have play tested them. Some notable ones off the top of my head being Al Stevens and Grumps from SOW (I'm sure you know them well, if you're here in the sax section). I know about the sourcing problems and the PB/PM controversy. I'm wanting to wait it out and see what happens with this new batch. I just remembered I've talked to Joe Jazz who has 3 on order, S/A/T, and he liquidated two JK Shadows to get them (and have enough money for house repairs and a cruise for the wife). He follows along the lines I touched on at the end of my first post where there may be a bit "too much horn" there for him at the level he will be, and at which he will attain (my paraphrasing may be skewed from his thoughts, but I could get HIS words if need be).

I think Mr. Barone actually WOULD put his horns in the same league as the top horns from the big 4... at least in the sales pitch (which he does, judging from an e-bay ad I saw today). I have listened to some clips that Al Stevens put up and found myself preferring the 54 on each occasion, but what I'm thinking is that its not 3-4000$ better.

About pricepoints. The way I look at it, PB = PM... PM's are prices about the same as say, 62IIs, 902 or maybe a killer deal on a 991. Just taking the 62II, I think we can all agree this is a professional model yamaha alto. I know Selmer also has 3 models in its pro lineup, but they seem to be a little tighter as far as price differences, but pro line vs pro line, the 62 is there fighting with the SII, SIII, Ref54 (and 991/992, SX90). I think the PMs try to compete with those guys as well. If the PB does infact = the PM, I'd be willing to put the Barone in the same arena with the big 4 (though it may not be punching its weight).

Re: Kia vs. Mercedes... I'm a car guy, I get it. I also get that Kias have better warranties! :D

The Barone entered my head due to SOTW. Having a limited budget for horns (0$ currently, but with a (soon to be) killer 6M-VIII in my hands), I just keep an eye out for options. The thought of a brand new horn intrigues me, as does keeping my vintage horn. The Hummingbird I played was an amazing horn... it blew effortlessly and the C#2/D2 bridge that I have encountered in every other horn I've ever touched was simply not there. It was well setup, and fairly well broken in for a horn less than one year old.

I know that the PB is NOT a Ref 54, but I am going to try to try one out when one gets near enough to me to take a short road trip.

I plan on letting my instructor play my 6M-VIII again once its all set up, and may see about switching horns for a few minutes during the lesson, to let us each get a better feel for each other's horn (she doesn't usually let other people touch her horn though... I think I was one of 4 people she let play it.) As much as I like my 6M, I'm pretty sure this is the best horn I've put my hands on... even better than the few Mk VIs I've blown.

I talked to her a little tonight about a certain 54 I found for a good price (used). Its not close enough to let me play it, and I don't have the $$$ to buy it outright (though we've talked about a trade + cash). I didn't think he'd accept, and he didn't at first, but is now considering it. It would be a gamble for either of us, and I have found a couple vintage (old?) Bundy tenors (I believe one's a keilworth stencil and one is a buescher stencil) within 200 miles of me... first at 200$ and second at 150$. That would get me into a tenor on the uber-cheap whilst keeping my alto.

I think I forgot where I was going with this... so off to the next post. :arrow:

**BRENT**

Ed Svoboda said:
To answer Brent's question.

I would keep the 6M. The 6M-VIII is a classic horn that can take you anywhere. I know of one prominent jazz player who plays classical on his 6M. Probably the exception though. The key work is plenty fast on the 6M and if you're playing any jazz you'll love the horn. Even in a community band I can't imagine the Conn being anything but a great horn.

I wouldn't go Conn 6M to a horn from Taiwan (or at least any of the altos made in Taiwan that I've played). It's like trading in a great 56 Chevy for a Hyundai.

I'm definately leaning this way. I think when I get my horn back from my tech it should be in a killer playing condition, as opposed to the "horn that hasn't seen a tech in ten years" condition (I'd put it up for quite a few years, so its not like I was playing it tons and tons and driving it into a further state of disrepair for years... just a few months!) :oops:

I don't know if I mentioned it here or not, but I AM planning on starting to head down the jazz route. There's a killer jazz teacher here (at the university my teacher teaches at), but its an hour away (luckily she lives about 3/4s of a mile from me!)... so it maybe be bi weekly with her, bi weekly/monthly with him... who knows. At this point, I'm just still trying to get back into good/proper playing shape myself (diaphragm, embouchure, tounging, tone, breath support, etc).

This GAS attack will hopefully be brought back down from horns to something like ligatures and mouthpieces (I NEED a Charles Bay lig, you know!)

Kinda glad I didn't get that YAS-62 back in the day, now. I could actually break even/make $$$ on the Conn if I sold it today. I'd probably take at LEAST a 25% hit (or more) on the 62 were I to sell it today, and I'd be seeing the 82Z, 875EX, Ref 54, etc. out there. At least there's that, and I don't have to be on the hunt for a vintage horn.

**BRENT**

Trying to phrase this as nicely as possible, because I'm not trying to be offensive (and, remember, I don't sell horns, so I don't particularly care one way or another):

You really need to decide what you want before you're doing all the comparisons.

When people start e-mailing me things like your post, "I like the Ref 54 AND the Barone! Which should I get?" I tend to think that the person e-mailing me really hasn't looked into the horns enough or -- again, I'm not trying to be offensive -- hasn't progressed enough with his own playing skills to determine which horn is the best for him. As in my analogy, it's like you're trying to decide between a Kia and a Mercedes. If you bottom line it as, "The Kia's got a better warranty", you really weren't looking at the Mercedes. You're window shopping. Not that there's anything really wrong with that, but it's more indicative of GAS than someone really trying to decide which is the better of the two. (In other words, I doubt that mayny people that are going out to look at Mercedes end up coming home in a Kia -- and vice-versa.)

Which is why I recommended talking with your instructor. Sounds like she's got a good pedigree and, if I was your instructor, I'd know how good you are, what you really need in a horn and I'd give you a good suggestion.

I can say that, if you're just havening a GAS attack and want a different alto that's decent for classical, try to find a used Yamaha YAS-61 or Selmer Mark 7. They're inexpensive ($1000 and under for the YAS-61, $1800 or so for the Mark 7). If you're just wanting a tenor to knock around with, try finding an older Keilwerth New King or New King stencil. They could be even cheaper than that YAS-61 and they're also decent. Plus, they're a bit closer to that Conn, in terms of tone.

MexicanDragon said:
I don't know if I mentioned it here or not, but I AM planning on starting to head down the jazz route. There's a killer jazz teacher here (at the university my teacher teaches at), but its an hour away (luckily she lives about 3/4s of a mile from me!)... so it maybe be bi weekly with her, bi weekly/monthly with him... who knows. At this point, I'm just still trying to get back into good/proper playing shape myself (diaphragm, embouchure, tounging, tone, breath support, etc).

This GAS attack will hopefully be brought back down from horns to something like ligatures and mouthpieces (I NEED a Charles Bay lig, you know!)
**BRENT**

Brent,

You are running up against GAS as much as anything else. The Conn 6M-VIII is a great jazz horn. I'll bet that once you have it back from your tech that you fall in love with it all over again. Getting a killer jazz teacher to go with your killer horn will be all you need. Take it from someone with way too many horns - you can only play one at a time.

SteveSklar said:
i still miss my rock solid Antigua 586 i sold to Gandalfe (when can i have that back??)
Sorry, my son luvs that horn. :cool:
Pete said:
Gandalfe can talk to Ref 54s.
I have tried a lot of instruments in the last five years. I have eschewed Selmers because in the last five years there were instruments with better intonation values. But I have to say, the Selmer Reference series changed my mind. The horn just speaks my language and with very little effort.

Is it the right decision for Josh Redmond or Phil Woods? Who can say, as they make any horn sound great. But for the vast majority of us, we need all the help we can get with intonation and keyworks ergonomics. That said, if you don't have the money there are a lot of great instruments out there for less. But I'm watching a lot of my instructors move to Ref 54s after having tried my instruments. Suzy and I have three Ref 54s and one Ref 36 (I prefer that in my tenor).

If you want the best price with a high quality inspection and adjustment before you get the instrument, I'd say Kesslers Music in Las Vegas is the way to go. There is no tax for most of us and the shipping is free. The last instructor that thought he was getting a killer deal with a dealer's markdown couldn't beat Kessler's price. Your mileage may vary.

pete said:
Trying to phrase this as nicely as possible, because I'm not trying to be offensive (and, remember, I don't sell horns, so I don't particularly care one way or another):

You really need to decide what you want before you're doing all the comparisons.

When people start e-mailing me things like your post, "I like the Ref 54 AND the Barone! Which should I get?" I tend to think that the person e-mailing me really hasn't looked into the horns enough or -- again, I'm not trying to be offensive -- hasn't progressed enough with his own playing skills to determine which horn is the best for him. As in my analogy, it's like you're trying to decide between a Kia and a Mercedes. If you bottom line it as, "The Kia's got a better warranty", you really weren't looking at the Mercedes. You're window shopping. Not that there's anything really wrong with that, but it's more indicative of GAS than someone really trying to decide which is the better of the two. (In other words, I doubt that mayny people that are going out to look at Mercedes end up coming home in a Kia -- and vice-versa.)

Which is why I recommended talking with your instructor. Sounds like she's got a good pedigree and, if I was your instructor, I'd know how good you are, what you really need in a horn and I'd give you a good suggestion.

I can say that, if you're just havening a GAS attack and want a different alto that's decent for classical, try to find a used Yamaha YAS-61 or Selmer Mark 7. They're inexpensive ($1000 and under for the YAS-61, $1800 or so for the Mark 7). If you're just wanting a tenor to knock around with, try finding an older Keilwerth New King or New King stencil. They could be even cheaper than that YAS-61 and they're also decent. Plus, they're a bit closer to that Conn, in terms of tone.

Ok, I had a long, well written and eloquent reply all typed out, and then then power went out (storming). The following is what you'll have to deal with :D

First off, Pete, no offense taken. I know going into a "VS" post, especially on a new forum with obviously hand picked charter members (I've been through it before), that I'm going to come off less informed than I actually am, and I also believe that one tends to revert to a bit of an adolescent state when dealing with GASeous questions, and think they are viewed as such. I knew what I was getting myself into...

Kia v. Mercedes. I think I had a smiley by my original warranty post, but not sure at the moment. I just got back from a master class and then performance by Dr. Otis Murphy. That man has some KILLER chops, but after a few hours on the road I'm a little beat, and don't feel like reading any more than I have to. I don't know if Kia/Mercedes is the best comparison for Barone/Selmer, but I think its on the right track. PB, in my eyes, has a mix of four brands, Kia, Hyundai, Chery, and Honda. Selmer I would equate more with BMW than Mercedes. Phil Barone has an established background in the saxophone world through his mouthpiece business, and is trusted by a fair portion of the saxophone mouthpiece universe, much like Honda started out with motorcylces and moved on to the car world with eventual great success. Time will tell with Phil, but the first part I see. Kia seems a little newer to the game than Hyundai (which has made significant strides in the past, oh, 5 years or so), but I see Kia as more of a Walstein than a Barone. The Walstein horns (taking largely from thoughts from Stephen Howard's website) are geared more towards the quality entry level market, and they seem to be hitting it. I don't see it as an established brand, but they're doing good things. Hyundai is slightly more upmarket than Kia, and a bit more refined. This is where I would put the Barone/PM horns. They're trying to compete with the big boys (Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Chevy (seems to be back in it with the new Malibu), etc...) They're fighting hard, and gaining some ground. To be fair, I've test driven some Hyundais and they do a couple things backwards, but the got a lot right. (FYI, about a year ago I drove ~20 cars, new and used, before picking the best one for me. It was used and also the least expensive of everything I tried. I also considered it to be the best all around performer. It was a 2003.5 Mazda Protege5, incase you were wondering.) Not to forget the Chinese newcomer, Chery, which is just that, a Chinese newcomer. We shall see.

Selmer, IMO, has traits of both Mercedes and BMW. Lots of potential from the factory, and after you get some kinks worked out, you'll have a blast. Mercedes tends to go a bit more off of brand recognition and just over the top power (straight line), but the handling won't compare as favorably to the BMW, which is seen as a bit more graceful in some areas, and agressive in others.

Going back to when I bought my Conn (10 years ago), this we pre-formal training (a college student from my HS alma mater who knows how to play saxophone, but wasn't his primary axe. He was in for Music Ed though, and did graduate with a degree). I bought the Conn off of what I wanted as 15 year old reading RMMS and AMS all the time. I didn't have the opportunity to road trip to USA Horn or Kessler's or Tenor Madness or ProWinds or WWBW. I also probably was not good enough at that point to make a lifelong decision. My playing has progressed quite a bit since then, and I'm not back for a serious hobbyist who put the horn down for a few years.

I'm not saying the Barone is better than the 54, or the Conn, I've just thought about diversifying (with the Barones). The 54 I've played was an incredible instrument... it just got me to thinking.

Through SOTW, I was just yesterday contacted by a local who met me shortly after I got my 6M-VIII. He has one within 100# of my serial, and we've already talked about getting together to let me try out some of his horns (YAS-875EX, his 6M, a King Super 20 Silversonic which was bought new in '77 and closeted in '78. It should be out from the overhaul shortly). I think I've mentioned I should be getting to blow a black nickel SX-90R on thursday, so after originally posting this, I'm not going to JUST be blindly looking at a 54, but playing as much as I can get my hands on locally. There is also a member from SOTW from Florida who has S/A/T of the PB horns on order, and they will be coming from the new factory. He plans on moving from FL to a town 30 minutes from me in a reasonable time frame.

BTW... were my teacher to recommend to me a NEW horn in a reasonable price range, it would be a Selmer USA La Vie. She has students (many of whom I met today) with Yanis, Yamahas, Selmers (one with a "new" Mk VI from Tenor Madness. I heard him play today, the horn/the player sounded great together). That's about 2000. I know of a recently set-up, lightly used 54 for sale for about 2750$ right now who would take my 6M-VIII in trade + cash (probably too much of a gamble for me right now, though). I have a lesson tentativly scheduled with her for Friday... I'm sure we'll have a nice little chat about horns. I have a feeling that she will recommend holding onto my horn (as it IS cherished by me and was my first pro horn).

BTW #2, I think the 200$ Selmer Bundy tenor I found IS a Keilworth New King stencil. I believe that's what someone told me. I found a Bundy Buescher stencil for 150$. Each of these horns are within two hours of me, btw.

**BRENT**

Gandalfe said:
Pete said:
Gandalfe can talk to Ref 54s.
I have tried a lot of instruments in the last five years. I have eschewed Selmers because in the last five years there were instruments with better intonation values. But I have to say, the Selmer Reference series changed my mind. The horn just speaks my language and with very little effort.

Is it the right decision for Josh Redmond or Phil Woods? Who can say, as they make any horn sound great. But for the vast majority of us, we need all the help we can get with intonation and keyworks ergonomics. That said, if you don't have the money there are a lot of great instruments out there for less. But I'm watching a lot of my instructors move to Ref 54s after having tried my instruments. Suzy and I have three Ref 54s and one Ref 36 (I prefer that in my tenor).

If you want the best price with a high quality inspection and adjustment before you get the instrument, I'd say Kesslers Music in Las Vegas is the way to go. There is no tax for most of us and the shipping is free. The last instructor that thought he was getting a killer deal with a dealer's markdown couldn't beat Kessler's price. Your mileage may vary.

Thanks for this insight, Gandalfe.

I have noticed Kessler's prices and I saw the Kookaburra was on sale for a bit under the sale price of the reg Ref 54... nice. Unfortunately, I think the laquer color on the standard ref and the collector's ed Hummingbirds, Kooks, and both Flamingos is nigh upon perfection. Merely looking at that horn makes me want to practice more. I know this is no reason to get a horn, but sitting in on a master class with Dr. Murphy today, seeing his Yamaha, an 82z and a 62II every week at practice, a yani, a laquered JK... I just don't like the look of them at all. That reminds me of the standard finish on the Kooks and HBs... It'd have to be a bit cheaper to get me to bite (were I to go shopping).

I noticed that the Kessler's price is even better, as Tenor Madness' price on the 54 alto just went up by 250$ this week. 4500 vs 37xx... big difference, even WITH those credentials.

I'm used to my Conn, its sounds amazing, and I love it. But that Ref 54 just speaks to me. It IS a huge chunk of change, but at this point, after reading replies and talking to more people than I figured would respond between the two forums, I believe I'm leaning towards keeping my 6M-VIII and starting to save up for a trip to Vegas. I think it'd take a couple years to save up, but I should have a killer Conn in my hands soon, and I may take a more sensible approach to looking for a new horn... not a replacement, but a complimentary piece. Who knows, it may not even have an S on it.

**BRENT**

I did a review of the LaVoix a couple of years ago.

http://woodwindforum.com/plugins/conten ... content.16

Personally I wasn't all that impressed with the LaVie either. My backup altos to my VI are either a Selmer Super Action 80 or a Armstrong Heritage (JK stencil). On tenor my backups to my VI are either a Buescher Aristocrat 156 or a King Tempo (JK stencil). I rather like the older JK's in spite of their intonation issues on certain notes.

Instead of the LaVie I would try and find an older Yamaha purple logo 62 - really nice horns. Yanagisawa 8xx horns are also to be had for about half of what the LaVie is and would blow them away. Again, that's just my opinion.

MexicanDragon said:
I think it'd take a couple years to save up, but I should have a killer Conn in my hands soon, and I may take a more sensible approach to looking for a new horn... not a replacement, but a complimentary piece. Who knows, it may not even have an S on it.
You go, girl.

Errr. I mean, "That's the best approach, in my opinion."

:D

Seriously, even if you're just window shopping, do try as many horns as possible. You might really like that Ref. 54, but you might find that, say, an 82Z is more what you're looking for. Yamaha has really good, really high-quality products. And they're not paying me to say that :).

I really, really like the way the P. Mauriat horns look. However, my opinion is that they probably have so many models because they have a large choice of necks, bows and bells, but only three bodies. (I base this opinion on looking up stuff for my semi-abandoned Wiki page.) There really isn't anything wrong with that, but it means you've really got to sit down at a P. Mauriat dealer and try the various combinations over a couple days. Are they as good as or better than a non-Custom-series Yamaha? Possibly. Time will tell. Are they better than a Reference 54? I tend to doubt it.

I mentioned elsewhere that, when I needed an alto, I tried the top-of-the-line Yamaha and ended up leaving with a YAS-23. Reasoning: I didn't play alto much and the YAS-23 is a good little horn and insanely cheaper than the YAS-875. You're wanting a "daily player". That makes a difference.

IMO, you're going to try an SX-90r and fall in love with it.

Ed Svoboda said:
Instead of the LaVie I would try and find an older Yamaha purple logo 62 - really nice horns. Yanagisawa 8xx horns are also to be had for about half of what the LaVie is and would blow them away. Again, that's just my opinion.

You know, there was a Purple logo 62 go for 1350 recently... was about 1300$ out of my range though... I think carbs has a yani 800 or 880 alto for 1100 i think... maybe when i save up that kind of $$$ I'll find some really nice deal.

pete said:
MexicanDragon said:
I think it'd take a couple years to save up, but I should have a killer Conn in my hands soon, and I may take a more sensible approach to looking for a new horn... not a replacement, but a complimentary piece. Who knows, it may not even have an S on it.
You go, girl.

Errr. I mean, "That's the best approach, in my opinion."

Heh... uhmmmm... thanks!

Seriously, even if you're just window shopping, do try as many horns as possible. You might really like that Ref. 54, but you might find that, say, an 82Z is more what you're looking for. Yamaha has really good, really high-quality products. And they're not paying me to say that :).

I know a guy with an 82Z, and I know a guy with a 62II and one with an 875EX... I think I may try to get my hands on all of those for a little while in the coming months.

I really, really like the way the P. Mauriat horns look. However, my opinion is that they probably have so many models because they have a large choice of necks, bows and bells, but only three bodies. (I base this opinion on looking up stuff for my semi-abandoned Wiki page.) There really isn't anything wrong with that, but it means you've really got to sit down at a P. Mauriat dealer and try the various combinations over a couple days. Are they as good as or better than a non-Custom-series Yamaha? Possibly. Time will tell. Are they better than a Reference 54? I tend to doubt it.

I mentioned elsewhere that, when I needed an alto, I tried the top-of-the-line Yamaha and ended up leaving with a YAS-23. Reasoning: I didn't play alto much and the YAS-23 is a good little horn and insanely cheaper than the YAS-875. You're wanting a "daily player". That makes a difference.

IMO, you're going to try an SX-90r and fall in love with it.

Heh. If everything goes as planned, and the guy I know brings his sx-90r to practice (traffic constraints kept it from happening last week, as there was a big tie up and he couldn't get back to his house from where he was).

But hmmm... I can't figure out why you think I'd like an SX-90r. I mean, the only thing you know about me is that I'm looking for a newer/modern horn with a modern style keywork and have a Conn 6M-VIII with RTH that I really like the sound of.

Oh... Wait...

**BRENT**

over 30 years with a 6M-VIII and never a moment of GAS.

I play jazz. NY STM metal link 5*, various reeds which don't matter much.

Little update:

I have the SX-90r in my possession to sell for my bandmate. His 82z is the horn he wanted, he loves it, and blah blah blah.

I got my horn back and after 407$ worth of work, and playing the SX-90r (and the Hummingbird)... I don't know. Maybe its the mouthpiece/lig/reed setup, maybe its me, maybe its just been my mood lately, or maybe my sound concept has changed. I like my 6M-VIII, its plays great, intonation is still a little touch and go (Middle D is a culprit, shocker, no?) Again, this may be partially mouthpiece related. I'm playing on an R. Caravan, btw. My teacher is a classical teacher who blew a VI for years, a Hummingbird CE now... At my lesson I let her feel each of the horns, and listen to me on each one. We both thought the JK sounded better, and the JK felt better to me, as well. I like it, but I still think I like the Hummingbird/Ref 54 better. I still need to play a Super 20 and 875ex that a guy I know has locally, but I just think I'm ready to take a lateral step away from the Conn, at least in this point in my life.

I've even taken a month with the Conn back up to a great playing condition...

Maybe I need to start playing jazz/big band and get a different mouthpiece or two to try out.

I'm still wanting another horn. Even my teacher thinks I should get a new horn, but hold on to what I have. Even though she's a hardcore Selmer fan, she thought my Conn felt REALLY good, though a bit stiff after the new setup.

I still need to get my hands on a Yanagisawa... at this point the only thing that I haven't played a single model of from the Big 4. The Yamahas I've tried just don't do it for me... the JK was close... but still not "it".

Just some thoughts from someone who's kinda confused again...

**BRENT**

Well, if you're trying vintage horns (you mention the Super 20) and the SX90 was close but not quite, you should try a Peter Ponzol model(l) Keilwerth or an H-Couf Superba (or the Keilwerth Toneking they were stenciled from). These (can) have real rolled tone holes, so its arguable that the construction of the SX90 vs. these models is substantially different.

However, I like classifying things because it makes life easier: Hey, you play a lot of jazz? Try these horns and these mouthpieces. You play mostly classical? Try these horns and these mouthpieces. You want a horn that has a balance between keywork, intonation and tone? Try these horns and mouthpieces.

I mention elsewhere that if you buy a pro horn -- any pro horn -- no one can really criticize you for your choice. The only exception might be if you buy, say, a DC Pro :).

IMO, if you're trying to get a "French" (i.e. Reference 54) but you want something fuller (i.e like your Conn), the vintage choices are probably the Rev. D or Gold Medal SML (and stencils) and the Couesnon Monopole -- but the keywork's not Selmer-style. Modern? I dunno. B&S? P. Mauriat?

Mouthpiece choice is something else, too. The prevailing opinion is that a mouthpiece choice is as important as the horn you select, if not more so.

See? I'm trying to drive you insane!

Opinion: save your money or spend it on lessons. You've just got a case of GAS. If you HAVE to buy something, my calendars are still for sale ....

Back
Top Bottom