My 6M-VIII vs Ref 54 vs PB(x2 maybe?)

pete said:
However, I like classifying things because it makes life easier: Hey, you play a lot of jazz? Try these horns and these mouthpieces. You play mostly classical? Try these horns and these mouthpieces. You want a horn that has a balance between keywork, intonation and tone? Try these horns and mouthpieces.

I mention elsewhere that if you buy a pro horn -- any pro horn -- no one can really criticize you for your choice. The only exception might be if you buy, say, a DC Pro :).

Mouthpiece choice is something else, too. The prevailing opinion is that a mouthpiece choice is as important as the horn you select, if not more so.

See? I'm trying to drive you insane!

Opinion: save your money or spend it on lessons. You've just got a case of GAS. If you HAVE to buy something, my calendars are still for sale ....

Hey Pete,

I'm not looking for another vintage horn. I'm not looking for a VI. I'm not necessarily looking for French, either. The Super 20 I was talking about was just something I want to try b/c I know a guy who has a Silversonic that was bought new in 77 and closeted in 78. He just had a full overhaul done on it and it should be out of the shop now. Its not got a silver neck, which I understand to have been either standard or possibly a lower end option (ala Yani), I'm not sure which, but either way, I want to play it.

If I get something else, I'm thinking modern. Out of the modern horns I've tried (Ref 54, sx90r, 82z), that is the order that I like them in; 1, 2, and 3.

Most of what I play is concert band stuff. Its a fairly wide range, but I had the most fun last year when we had a jazz festival gig, and we played a bunch of big band stuff. My teacher, I'm sure I've mentioned, is a classical cat. She's recommended I take from her associate at the university she teaches at, who is the jazz sax guy. I'm not keen on driving an hour for periodic lessons at this juncture, (too many things going on with family/kids/responsiblity), but I am more into jazz than classical.

BTW, I think its GREAT you're pushing your calendars ... I may just have to get one one day... and I do spend $$$ on lessons (great deal, for what I get). Something is just off...

Want to recommend me a jazz mpc for a conn 6M-VIII in the free-reasonable range? <g>

I think part of it is that I'm finding the ergonomics of the JK to be superiors for MY hands, and switching back to the Conn, it feels slower than it used to. I figure SOME of it may have to do with the adjusted stiffer spring tension during the reassembly... but I'm not sure if that's everything.

Well, I'm off to go look into buying an SATB set of DC Pros! G'night.

**BRENT**

pete said:
IMO, if you're trying to get a "French" (i.e. Reference 54) but you want something fuller (i.e like your Conn), the vintage choices are probably the Rev. D or Gold Medal SML (and stencils) and the Couesnon Monopole -- but the keywork's not Selmer-style. Modern? I dunno. B&S? P. Mauriat?
Just my opinion, of course. And if you're liking the Ref. 54 much more than the others, you are looking for "French Sound".

I think that Caravan mouthpiece might lean more toward French makes and vintage instruments (large chamber). Other mouthpieces might match up better for ensemble work. Just an opinion, tho. You seem to be more interested in the horn than the mouthpiece.

(Free? No. A lotta folks seem to like Otto Links with Conns, tho. I wonder how a Meyer would do -- I've always wanted to try one.)

You're also getting into the keywork/ergonomics argument and I think just about any horn made in the past 30 years is going to beat your Conn in that respect (again, if someone wants to flame me, I'll again ask, "If Selmer-Balanced-Action-style keywork isn't the best, why does everyone have it?").

Finally, I think the S20 will disappoint you with the intonation.

========

Oh, I'm not exactly "pushing" calendars at this point. More like pulling them: it's March. People don't want or need calendars at this time of the year. However, I am doing TWO calendars for 2009. Check the linky in my signature.

pete said:
pete said:
IMO, if you're trying to get a "French" (i.e. Reference 54) but you want something fuller (i.e like your Conn), the vintage choices are probably the Rev. D or Gold Medal SML (and stencils) and the Couesnon Monopole -- but the keywork's not Selmer-style. Modern? I dunno. B&S? P. Mauriat?
Just my opinion, of course. And if you're liking the Ref. 54 much more than the others, you are looking for "French Sound".

I think that Caravan mouthpiece might lean more toward French makes and vintage instruments (large chamber). Other mouthpieces might match up better for ensemble work. Just an opinion, tho. You seem to be more interested in the horn than the mouthpiece.

(Free? No. A lotta folks seem to like Otto Links with Conns, tho. I wonder how a Meyer would do -- I've always wanted to try one.)

You're also getting into the keywork/ergonomics argument and I think just about any horn made in the past 30 years is going to beat your Conn in that respect (again, if someone wants to flame me, I'll again ask, "If Selmer-Balanced-Action-style keywork isn't the best, why does everyone have it?").

Finally, I think the S20 will disappoint you with the intonation.

========

Oh, I'm not exactly "pushing" calendars at this point. More like pulling them: it's March. People don't want or need calendars at this time of the year. However, I am doing TWO calendars for 2009. Check the linky in my signature.

First of all, thanks for all the replies. I know dealing with people like me in this situation can be tiresome...

I'd like to start with the mouthpiece. I always thought the caravan was more of a Rascher-onian ("onian" just wanted to come out more than "esque"... too bad it doesn't fit, but I digress). Its more closed than a C*, but has no baffle and a HUGE chamber. My experience with french mouthpieces leans to small to medium chambered pieces with U or square shaped chambers... **OK... I went back and re-read, and you weren't saying that it was more of a french-style mouthpiece, just would work with french makes. It is the only piece I have, so it is what I used on the Hummingbird. It worked, for me.

I don't really think it was as much of the SOUND of the 54 I was liking, but the efforlessness of play and the amazing response from it. I remember playing my teacher's Mk VI alto. It is - according to a well respected local tech who has his own shop, and previously worked at the only other woodwind repair shop in town - the second sweetest VI in town... only being bested by the one of the former head of music at the largest local university. I trust this guy, as he has owned at LEAST two VIs and went to the university under the direction of the owner of the "sweetest." Anyways, it was a great horn... but I didn't even think about selling my horn to get one. A caveat: this horn was hand selected out of every pro horn in WWBW's stock, pre-buy out. My teacher had 3 practice rooms filled with horns, cases stacked, and was there for over 12 hours over the course of 2 days. This horn replaced her VI. Its possibly just a particularly good example... but it had me more intrigued than her VI did. Ergonomically, I'd have to work with a 54, as to date, the JK is the most comfortable to me, the 54 just blew better.

The Super 20 isn't something I'm looking to buy, or even that interested in. I just want to play it because I have access to one to try out.

Mouthpiece wise, I had a metal link STM 6*... I didn't like it on the 6M, and ended up selling it to fund the repair work earlier this year. I'm interested in getting a Meyer, though. I'll get one eventually, but other things are ahead of another mouthpiece in line for $$$ right now. The joy of having kids, no? I do, however, understand the importance of mouthpiece choices and proper matching to get a synergy for what you're wanting to do, depending on playing style/genre, horn, etc... I'm just particularly intrigued with horns at this stage and the catalyst for that was the Hummingbird CE.

As far as the keywork dispute... I figure most modern horns have something related to Selmer due to the fact that seemingly the majority of players today who are middle-aged/older either played or pined over the VI. It was the popular horn of the day. Younger guys have seen the older guys use and work with the Selmers and go that route. With the popularity of the horns you have tons of companies copying them and it trickles down to the student models which most students start on. As they progress and look at pro-level horns, even if they go look at a JK and prefer it to a newer selmer soundwise or in another area which they're placing their buying decisions on, the new Selmer is going to feel more comfortable out of the box and is a factor in possibly persuading people to buy a Selmer, or 82z, or Yani over the JK. With me, personally, the Selmer keyboard is to me much the same as the iPod interface. Its counterintuitive, and doesn't fit me properly. Most people like it, however, as it works for most people, and as Apple dominates the DAP (Digital Audio Player) world, the Selmer keyboard dominates the saxophone world. FYI: I've had 4 iPods over the past few years, and currently have two.

I'm sure I'll try to take some jazz-focused lessons and start a separate mouthpiece search before I'm able to buy a new horn... and I may find what I want in the horn I have after that. We shall see...

**BRENT**

Brent,

I find sagas like these very interesting and I suspect so will a number of our members both now and in the future.

It's also refreshing to see that all of us go through a process of getting to the voice in our head.

pete said:

I swear by my Link STM 6* with my Conn NW alto, but I have used a Meyer 5M and 6M with great results. I'd guess that any of these pieces would work well on a 6M as well.

Ed Svoboda said:
Brent,

I find sagas like these very interesting and I suspect so will a number of our members both now and in the future.

It's also refreshing to see that all of us go through a process of getting to the voice in our head.

Ed,

I'm glad you like it. I'm thinking about publishing this novella as a collection of letters in the coming months/years... possibly once there is a ending to the saga.

A fork in this long road happened tonight as I just posted the SX90R I've been living with for sale. Its not everything I needed, its I think more of an evolution of what I have instead of being the complimentary lateral shift that I'm looking for at this juncture. If you know anyone with black nickel lust, let me know <g>

In Ref 54 news: I went to my teacher's faculty recital this past friday night. I could tell after the second piece something was wrong. She was struggling with the horn (her 'Bird) and I wasn't sure what it was, but I felt for her as she had 3 alto pieces yet to go, and was still having troubles. There were notes that weren't popping out, an entire phrase that wouldn't speak in one section (and she is no amatuer by any stretch of the imagination.) (As a doctoral student at the University of Arizona she was given the Dahl concerto to play at a saxophone symposium... she had 3 days notice. I don't even want to think about it, it scares me :emoji_astonished: ) Anyways, she switches to her soprano pieces and gets through those pieces just fine with an alto closer. I wait around and catch her after the recital. We talk about the horn problems. Her Eb pad FELL OUT! I felt so bad for her. If I'd have known I'd have snuck backstage with a piece of gum or something to try to get it fixed. But she's a pro, she trudged through it and finally got to the best part of the show for the performer... then end! <g>

So... when I finish saving my 400,000 pennies, I have a feeling I'm going to make sure all the pads are torn out and reseated. I'll let you know where the horn came from if anyone is interested... To the horn/glue/shellac's defense, it had been raining on and off, big temp and humidity swings lately, and the heaters were on in the concert hall... but still.

Til the next time...

**BRENT**

...and then the old fart comes in the room and throws his two cents into the ring.

From what I've seen of the conversation thus far, it looks like we have Brett , somewhere in the educational world at this time with not too much money to throw around, who is currently playing a decent enough horn but who wants something "better" (in some hard-to-define fashion) to play what sounds like curriculum-related music.

Welllllll (as Professor Harold Hill has been known to say), I'd say that you are barking up the wrong tree here. If money is tight, if you have a workable horn already, and (a very big if) if you aren't purchasing the horn for work purposes, then you probably need to bank your money and (as if you haven't seen this coming all along) go back to practicing.

Push comes to shove, even the most successful of musicians these days aren't going to bring in much in the way of money. It's very unlikely that a saxophonist who is not a "commercial musician" (pit player in a big city, a working session guy in LA, New York or Nashville, or a steady gig with a traveling show or in Branson MO) is going to be bringing in any kind of money anytime soon. (And, many of those in these enviable positions are working two or more jobs plus teaching just to stay even.) That shiny newish horn won't offer you much comfort when you're having trouble putting a meal on the table.

Now, if you will excuse me, I have to go pick up a telegram from Hector Berlioz...never a dull moment in the music business...

Y'know, I've always had this mental image of Terry as someone that looks kinda-sorta like Mark Twain. Or maybe Bones McCoy. The posts definitely suggest this, too :D.

What Terry sez with one caveat; if you're gonna use vintage instruments consider establishing a relationship with a great tech. I can't tell you how much free work I've gotten from a friend in the business, and I make sure all my students and friends take their horns to him too!

Read more about Hector Berlioz here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hector_Berlioz.

I have always been amazed at how little musicians know about ol' Hector. The massed orchestra gag alone, with a thousand or more musicians being "directed" by electric semaphore, is worth the effort if for no other reason.

I've tried to upload my standard musician portrait here, as I have over on the Saxophone Forum, but have met with nothing but failure. If I had succeeded, you would see that I look nothing at all like either person...

SOTSDO said:
...and then the old fart comes in the room and throws his two cents into the ring.

From what I've seen of the conversation thus far, it looks like we have Brett , somewhere in the educational world at this time with not too much money to throw around, who is currently playing a decent enough horn but who wants something "better" (in some hard-to-define fashion) to play what sounds like curriculum-related music.

Welllllll (as Professor Harold Hill has been known to say), I'd say that you are barking up the wrong tree here. If money is tight, if you have a workable horn already, and (a very big if) if you aren't purchasing the horn for work purposes, then you probably need to bank your money and (as if you haven't seen this coming all along) go back to practicing.

Push comes to shove, even the most successful of musicians these days aren't going to bring in much in the way of money. It's very unlikely that a saxophonist who is not a "commercial musician" (pit player in a big city, a working session guy in LA, New York or Nashville, or a steady gig with a traveling show or in Branson MO) is going to be bringing in any kind of money anytime soon. (And, many of those in these enviable positions are working two or more jobs plus teaching just to stay even.) That shiny newish horn won't offer you much comfort when you're having trouble putting a meal on the table.

Now, if you will excuse me, I have to go pick up a telegram from Hector Berlioz...never a dull moment in the music business...

I was sure to read the entire Berlioz Wiki before replying... just an aside incase there was something I was going to miss. On to the reply...

First of all, my good man, I don't believe you understand my situation quite right. I AM studying with a college professor whose first name is "Dr." I am not, however, in a university program. I'm currently a stay at home dad in my mid 20's who got back into playing after a couple year hiatus, partially having to do with the kids. My rekindled love affair with music and saxophone brought me to get back into studying intently and trying to better my abilities. I don't currently have a college degree (have a year of engineering under my belt before I got bored and switched majors... took a sabbatical and got hit with a big dose of life). I understand my situation and music, for about the first six months of this past year, was a release and a way for me to get away for a while. In the past 6 months, however, I've considered options in my life to further myself and my family. I had been considering joining the military in either intel or communications (one interesting, one with job opportunities post-mil), and then thought about merging the two paths. I started lessons with the intent of working back up to a level where I could audition for a military band. Yes, I know I'm not good enough for The President's Own or any of the Air Force bands, but with proper training, enough practice, and the determination, its possible. It may not be probable, but its possible.

I understand that there are very few spots, and I don't know if any are open. I do know that there has just recently (past couple of weeks) been a call for musicians for the military, and I believe for the Army specifically. I know beyond the musical aspect of it there is also the physical aspect, which I am trying to work on as well.

If you look at some of the arguments/statements that Pete and Gandalfe have made, you will see why I have given strong consideration to the topic I have started. Pete stated that the keywork on anything made in the past 30 years is going to be "better" than my Conn. If you look at something from Gandalfe you'll see how he recommends becoming friend with a good tech if one is to play a vintage horn. I have a pretty good tech, he just did a lot of work to my horn, and it still has flaws and limitations compared to many modern horns.

My teacher is classically trained, and teaches in the manner she knows and loves. In the classical repetoire there are not just notes in the altissimo register, there are passages. There are many players who wish for horns sans the F#3 key, but what it may a concession in with certain aspects of sound quality (possibly "perceived sound quality"), it makes up for in opening the door for in fingering options and accessability in the altissimo register. She played a MkVI for I believe over 40 years. I've played it, its amazing. It had no F#3 key and she was an opponent of the key for years. She had conceded to technology and went on a new horn search. She picked up a hummingbird collector's edition (hand picked out of every pro horn in stock @ WWBW last summer, pre-buyout) and hasn't put it down since. She's a convert. The addition of one key has opened up many doors and facilitated a smoother and more cohesive upper register.

I'm pretty fast on my Conn... I've known it for 11 years. I picked up the SX90R I've had and was immediately faster. From minute one. I've been going back and forth and back and forth, and I like both horns, but I still don't think the JK is an endgame horn for me.

Also, at the time I started the post I was waiting on my horn to get back from the shop and had been using a student model Vito. The repairs to my horn went over estimate by a decent amount of $$$, but my horn is an excellent example of what it is, and could command, in my estimation of current market value and condition of the horn, in the 2400-2500$ range. At the time I started this, a gentleman I had just sold a mouthpiece to (to fund the repairs) was selling a lightly used and recently set up (with brand new neck) Ref 54 for 2700$. He sold his Mk VI after he found a 6M locally that he fell in love with. We were in talks of doing a trade + cash, but my horn didn't get out of the shop in time and I believe SaxQuest bought it up off ebay.

At the time, I could have probably traded my horn + 200-500$ for a Ref 54, in similar excellent playing condition. I was a few weeks away from having that much cash and wasn't completely sold on the idea (but chomping at the bit, as you'd notice if you read the entire thread, if you haven't already). At the time, I wasn't talking about a 4000$ horn, I was talking about a 2700$ horn.

The military gig is probably one of the best muscian gigs in the country, one of the toughest to get, and there will be stiff competition. I am interested in having the best possible gear going in to battle as possible. I understand that buying a reference 54 over a 6m-VIII isn't buying chops in a box, and its not buying a year of practice, but it could possibly be a slight edge.

I can say that if the Ref 54 would have been out in early 97 when I bought my horn, I would have bought one, but it wasn't. I also would have NEVER thought about the military right after high school. I'm older now, have a family, and am looking to provide for them. If I could do it doing something I love and could be passionate about, it would be even better.

FWIW, when I started back taking lessons 3 months ago, my teacher (who came from a military family, was offered a spot in the top AF band out of either HS or U of Miami (undergrad), is married to a retired AF guy, had a sister in the military and has a nephew in Iraq right now) didn't think I had a shot, and was working to steer me in another direction while keeping me playing for fun. After my last lesson, we talked for a few hours (about many many things), and she thinks I should give it a shot. I also gathered that she put my level on that of a collegiate student. I think I have a few advantages (life experience, among others) over someone who may technically be a better player at the HS senior level (and there are plenty of those), but I thrive on competition, and 6 months of a military music school would allow me enough time to play "catch-up" in my areas of weakness (which I know and continually address).

BTW, I'm just an hour and a half from Nashville, know any session gigs there?
BTW#2, I'm looking at a job interview soon which is not music related, but a sales gig with an opportunity to make a LOT more than a military musician would, but money isn't everything...

**BRENT**

I was sure to read the entire Berlioz Wiki before replying... just an aside incase there was something I was going to miss. On to the reply...

You would have done better to rent The Music Man; it's in a line from the show...

Ol' Hector had some pretty weird ideas, but his heart was in the right place. Ramble through his thoughts in the Dover Press version of his book on Orchestration (which happens to be the title as well), and you'll get a glimpse of how his mind worked (and get to read Richard Strauss's comments on it as well). Hector's suggestion that a section of three or four bass clarinets would add sonority to a symphonic orchestra shows a stunning disregard for the economics of the concert hall, even if his heart was in the right place.

First of all, my good man, I don't believe you understand my situation quite right.

Perhaps not. But, one goes with what one has to go on.

I AM studying with a college professor whose first name is "Dr." I am not, however, in a university program. I'm currently a stay at home dad in my mid 20's who got back into playing after a couple year hiatus, partially having to do with the kids. My rekindled love affair with music and saxophone brought me to get back into studying intently and trying to better my abilities. I don't currently have a college degree (have a year of engineering under my belt before I got bored and switched majors... took a sabbatical and got hit with a big dose of life).

That pins it down a bit more. Nothing wrong with loving music. However, there's a lot wrong with loving music to the extent that you plan to make a living at it, before you have the "chops" to make the grade. (More on this later)

I understand my situation and music, for about the first six months of this past year, was a release and a way for me to get away for a while.

Nothing wrong with this. Many get the same sort of fulfillment out of playing, at a wide variety of levels.

In the past 6 months, however, I've considered options in my life to further myself and my family. I had been considering joining the military in either intel or communications (one interesting, one with job opportunities post-mil), and then thought about merging the two paths. I started lessons with the intent of working back up to a level where I could audition for a military band. Yes, I know I'm not good enough for The President's Own or any of the Air Force bands, but with proper training, enough practice, and the determination, its possible. It may not be probable, but its possible.

A lot wrong with this, particularly if you have a family beyond yourself. You are trying to enter a field that is crammed with folks coming out of music schools (with "credentials" based more on paper than on ability, but paper's a hell of a lot more easy to review), this to enter a life that's hard on families at its best (deployments without family). (It's not as bad as it used to be, since musicians don't go through standard training any longer, even in the Marines.) Sure, if you do make the grade, you'll get a lot of practice and get paid for it for the duration of your hitch, but you will be playing a form of the lottery, one where even the best sometimes don't win the brass ring.

(I often tell of my days (literally) in an Army band during the tail end of the Vietnam era. I had just finished up the first four months of my time in our division's armored battalion (which was being redeployed), and I had the opportunity to land in the 4th Infantry Division band. I was actually transferred over (and had a clarinet sent over for me to use, this in advance of the actual event) before the mounting clues about the Cambodian "invasion" (supply dumps filling up in the base camp, the majority of the infantry battalions in the brigade in on stand-down) dawned on me. As the proud possessor of the then 11B military occupational specialty (infantry, ground pounder, cannon fodder, whatever), I could see the writing on the wall, and quick as a gun engineered a transfer to the divisional armored cavalry squadron. I then spent the remainder of my time in country sitting atop of my tank (despite the infantry MOS, all of my in country time had been spent in armored vehicles) alongside of Highway 19, watching the infantry folks being trucked off to the west. All of the infantry folks in the band got swept up and transferred to fill out the infantry units. So much for instrumental music.)

But, I digress. Even without the chance of ending up in a line unit, military life is still pretty disrupting. Some can adapt, some cannot. (I also did s few years in the local NG unit up north - a whole different set of circumstances there.) From what you have said earlier, I don't think that you and the military, even such a dilute military as is the United States Air Force, would be a good fit. I could be very wrong of course. But, the difference is that, if I am wrong, you still have to live through a minimum of four years of military life with all the disruptions and all. If I am right, then you've got a miserable experience in front of you.

Enough about the military, however. It's a choice that only you can make, and once made you are set for the next four years.

I understand that there are very few spots, and I don't know if any are open. I do know that there has just recently (past couple of weeks) been a call for musicians for the military, and I believe for the Army specifically. I know beyond the musical aspect of it there is also the physical aspect, which I am trying to work on as well.

All true enough, but the physical aspect is not what it used to be, so don't worry there.

If you look at some of the arguments/statements that Pete and Gandalfe have made, you will see why I have given strong consideration to the topic I have started. Pete stated that the keywork on anything made in the past 30 years is going to be "better" than my Conn. If you look at something from Gandalfe you'll see how he recommends becoming friend with a good tech if one is to play a vintage horn. I have a pretty good tech, he just did a lot of work to my horn, and it still has flaws and limitations compared to many modern horns.

All correct in the global sense. No question that these folks can steer you right there. However, this is a forest for the trees issue. A better horn is always out there somewhere. I'd kill for a Conn horn (one from the 1920's, mind you) with 1950's Selmer keywork and a reasonable thumb hook, all gold plated and in a non-stinky case. Given enough money, you can realize any dream.

But, the problem here is that you don't have that money, and despite your planning, don't have any certainty of getting it any time soon. That's a fact that's as true as it is unpleasant for me to say it to you. If you are good on your current Conn horn, then you are likely good enough as it is without a new horn (or even a new mouthpiece). Changing horses in midstream isn't likely to be the magic fix that you would like it to be. And, even if it is, again I have to say that you don't have the money or (currently) the prospects of getting it.

There's a nifty quote from (of all people) Hunter Thompson that applies here:

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."

Following a dream is all well and good, as long as there are not thousands of people waiting for you to debase yourself for the sake of your art. Believe me, they are out there, and if you don't stay in a twenty year military career, you are going to find yourself in a "play for exposure, not for pay" nightmare somewhere down the road. You are an outsider now, when literally thousands of conservatory trained musicians are pounding the same pavements with those degrees, ready to take up low paying jobs in the field in front of you. Unless you are ready to play everything and anything, you will have limited opportunities to make a living, and even if you do you will be scrambling just to keep your (and your family's) heads above water. When all of this is considered, worrying about this or that sax is like rearranging the deck chairs on the Andrea Dora.

(I'll wait while you look that one up on Wikipedia...)

My teacher is classically trained, and teaches in the manner she knows and loves. In the classical repetoire there are not just notes in the altissimo register, there are passages. There are many players who wish for horns sans the F#3 key, but what it may a concession in with certain aspects of sound quality (possibly "perceived sound quality"), it makes up for in opening the door for in fingering options and accessability in the altissimo register. She played a MkVI for I believe over 40 years. I've played it, its amazing. It had no F#3 key and she was an opponent of the key for years. She had conceded to technology and went on a new horn search. She picked up a hummingbird collector's edition (hand picked out of every pro horn in stock @ WWBW last summer, pre-buyout) and hasn't put it down since. She's a convert. The addition of one key has opened up many doors and facilitated a smoother and more cohesive upper register.

Great - for her. Not so great for you, given your stated financial position and current prospects. Remember, the influence of the whole saxophone experience varies inversely with the distance from the bell of the instrument. The sax has less influence than the mouthpiece, the mouthpiece less than the reed, and the whole shebang less than the flesh and blood thing north of the mouthpiece.

I'm pretty fast on my Conn... I've known it for 11 years. I picked up the SX90R I've had and was immediately faster. From minute one. I've been going back and forth and back and forth, and I like both horns, but I still don't think the JK is an endgame horn for me.

Also, at the time I started the post I was waiting on my horn to get back from the shop and had been using a student model Vito. The repairs to my horn went over estimate by a decent amount of $$$, but my horn is an excellent example of what it is, and could command, in my estimation of current market value and condition of the horn, in the 2400-2500$ range. At the time I started this, a gentleman I had just sold a mouthpiece to (to fund the repairs) was selling a lightly used and recently set up (with brand new neck) Ref 54 for 2700$. He sold his Mk VI after he found a 6M locally that he fell in love with. We were in talks of doing a trade + cash, but my horn didn't get out of the shop in time and I believe SaxQuest bought it up off ebay.

At the time, I could have probably traded my horn + 200-500$ for a Ref 54, in similar excellent playing condition. I was a few weeks away from having that much cash and wasn't completely sold on the idea (but chomping at the bit, as you'd notice if you read the entire thread, if you haven't already). At the time, I wasn't talking about a 4000$ horn, I was talking about a 2700$ horn.

It's been my experience with horn sales in the second-hand arena that you seldom realize what you would like to get. I've sold off an entire set of Mark VI horns (soprano to baritone) and got enough to buy a pretty car and boost a down payment on a house, this at the behest of my wife at that time. These days, I don't have the wife, house, car or horns. I still don't think that I got fair value for the horns, even though three of the four were virtually new and the fourth (the baritone) was in almost new condition. Such is life.

But, I was able to steal (almost literally) another Mark VI tenor at salvage sale prices, and then parlay that purchase into a wonderful baritone, all of this due to my current (and last) wife. Since that time, I've added the others as needed (while never having given up my three main clarinets throughout it all).

Sometimes the magic works, but more often it doesn't and you end up selling hundreds short. Good luck with that, however it turns out.

The military gig is probably one of the best muscian gigs in the country, one of the toughest to get, and there will be stiff competition. I am interested in having the best possible gear going in to battle as possible. I understand that buying a reference 54 over a 6m-VIII isn't buying chops in a box, and its not buying a year of practice, but it could possibly be a slight edge.

Only that, and hardly worth the extra price considering your current situation.

I can say that if the Ref 54 would have been out in early 97 when I bought my horn, I would have bought one, but it wasn't. I also would have NEVER thought about the military right after high school. I'm older now, have a family, and am looking to provide for them. If I could do it doing something I love and could be passionate about, it would be even better.

There are very few in the world who have a career that they love as a passion and get paid well for it. The world is full of people who, hoping for such a career, spend their lives preparing for it at huge expense, neglecting every other approach, only to find out that there are few slots for professional actors, models, artists, musicians, authors and poets. While I wish the best for everyone so inclined, I am enough of a realist to not think that 1% of them will succeed.

When I was your age (says the old man, knocking the crumbs out of his pipe bowl) I knew a girl in collegiant -level theater in Saint Louis MO. She worked the St. Louis Repetory theater when I played there in the pit orchestras (damned good money, if somewhat seedy surroundings), and I even dated her for a few months during one production. (She played one of the whores in Threepenny Opera - nothing like seeing your current amorata dressed up in a corset under the lights to get your imagination going.)

This girl had everything. A voice like a songbird, with incredible range and expression. Stage presence that could only be called commanding. Legs down to there, and the rest of the goods to go with it, including a glorious mane of red hair. Acting ability, so much so that the rest of the cast paled by comparison. All in all, a stunning, talented, knock-'em-dead performer - sort of like The Mer, only with good looks in the bargain.

(You can check that one out in Wikipedia as well - go ahead, I'll still be here...)

I lost track of her (not The Mer, but rather my young lady friend) when I changed jobs with the government and spent a lot of time out of town, but I (and everyone else associated with her) truly believed that she was going places in theater. (One thing that I knew was that she was way too good for the likes of me.

She moved on to New York with high expectations and - poof - vanished from view. No one of us who knew her back in the day has ever seen hide nor hair of the girl since. (She doesn't even show up on that internet search engine that turns up everyone - only her mother up in central Illinois (who is long time dead at this point).)

What happened? Well, nobody (including her college drama instructors) knows for sure. Most likely she ended up marrying someone with money (she was a knockout, after all) and moving to Scarsdale NY and cocktail parties and parenthood. But, she never cracked the Broadway barrier, likely as not because there were already hundreds of Sutton Fosters already there, stacked up like so much cordwood, each and every one as cute and perky and talented as Connie, and only a limited number of slots in which to stuff them.

As for Connie, so too for you - and me, and everyone else in the "Gee it's fun to do this" fields. You can increase your chances through some avenues - willingness to play all types of music helps, playing rare instruments helps (baritone over soprano, alto or tenor, bassoon over clarinet and so on), getting "ins" with people in the business, and so forth. But, taking a flying leap as one of many tenor or alto players in the world, hoping to grab and retain a grip on a slender thread of a chance to make a go of it when you have a family to support isn't the percentage shot.

FWIW, when I started back taking lessons 3 months ago, my teacher (who came from a military family, was offered a spot in the top AF band out of either HS or U of Miami (undergrad), is married to a retired AF guy, had a sister in the military and has a nephew in Iraq right now) didn't think I had a shot, and was working to steer me in another direction while keeping me playing for fun. After my last lesson, we talked for a few hours (about many many things), and she thinks I should give it a shot. I also gathered that she put my level on that of a collegiate student. I think I have a few advantages (life experience, among others) over someone who may technically be a better player at the HS senior level (and there are plenty of those), but I thrive on competition, and 6 months of a military music school would allow me enough time to play "catch-up" in my areas of weakness (which I know and continually address).

All of this points to a crap shoot, like it or not. With a family and limited funds as part of the picture, I'd say skip the horn, use your current skills to impress them, and that way if you don't make the cut, you'll at least not be out of hard to come by cash. Remember, your teacher doesn't have the same stake in this that you do. Your failure (should it occur) will be no skin off of her back. So, go with the skills that you have (or work them up further) and save the money spent on the panacea of a new instrument.

Nashville used to be death on horns (the Grand Ole Opry used to have an unspoken ban on them in any group that appeared there), but there are a few calls for them these days. Better you should get your mandolin chops up to speed, though, for Nashville work. Well, that and join the union...

BTW#2, I'm looking at a job interview soon which is not music related, but a sales gig with an opportunity to make a LOT more than a military musician would, but money isn't everything...

Well, now you're cookin' with gas. It was worth staying up to 2:30 AM to write this post, just to see this last bit at the end of your obviously heartfelt thoughts. My last piece of advice all along was to do just that. Great minds think (almost) alike!

Money ain't everything, but it can feed and clothe you and your family, and even provide the means to purchase that horn (or horns) of your dreams. Play as a sideline, get your fulfillment from that (plus make some really nice money on the side), and make everyone (yourself included) happy in the bargain.

SOTSDO said:

You would have done better to rent The Music Man; it's in a line from the show...
Perhaps I'll travel through time next time so I'll find the reference to your quips in your future responses. Being prepared is of vital importance in many aspects of life...

Ol' Hector had some pretty weird ideas, but his heart was in the right place. Ramble through his thoughts in the Dover Press version of his book on Orchestration (which happens to be the title as well), and you'll get a glimpse of how his mind worked (and get to read Richard Strauss's comments on it as well). Hector's suggestion that a section of three or four bass clarinets would add sonority to a symphonic orchestra shows a stunning disregard for the economics of the concert hall, even if his heart was in the right place.

First of all, my good man, I don't believe you understand my situation quite right.

Perhaps not. But, one goes with what one has to go on.

I AM studying with a college professor whose first name is "Dr." I am not, however, in a university program. I'm currently a stay at home dad in my mid 20's who got back into playing after a couple year hiatus, partially having to do with the kids. My rekindled love affair with music and saxophone brought me to get back into studying intently and trying to better my abilities. I don't currently have a college degree (have a year of engineering under my belt before I got bored and switched majors... took a sabbatical and got hit with a big dose of life).

That pins it down a bit more. Nothing wrong with loving music. However, there's a lot wrong with loving music to the extent that you plan to make a living at it, before you have the "chops" to make the grade. (More on this later)
I'm not banking my life and the lives of my wife and children on a military musical career at this point. We are making due with, for now, one salary. I am not giving up everything to follow this path/dream/what-have-you, but I am going to give it a shot. I understand the struggle of many artists and musicians, especially with my instrument of choice, but if I can some how make the grade and get into a position where I can go in this direction, it could be a reasonable living for my family.

Another thing, if you looked in the first couple of posts in this thread you would have noticed I wasn't looking at JUST a Ref 54, I was also thinking about the "Flavor of the Month" horns, the Phil Barone line. If they are virtually identical to the P. Mauriats at a fraction of the price, with a fairly warm reception of the PM, I was tempted to unload my 6M-VIII (96% silver plate, gold wash bell, conservatively at "Very Good" condition, freshly reconditioned) at the approximate current market value. With the cash off that, I could easily afford a brand new PB alto and PB tenor (in bare brass, as its one of the least expensive options). That would give me two horns (I don't have a tenor right now, nor have I ever owned one), two new mouthpieces of relatively high quality (from what I understand), and after a couple trips to the tech, what should be a fair compromise of modern ergos/performance :: dollar. I pretty much decided on keeping the 6M-VIII.

I understand my situation and music, for about the first six months of this past year, was a release and a way for me to get away for a while.

Nothing wrong with this. Many get the same sort of fulfillment out of playing, at a wide variety of levels.
If it comes to it, I will stick with what I'm doing and keep doing it as a side thing for fun. I will regret it, in the future, if I look back and never even tried. Also, my teacher isn't the one who got me thinking about military. I have a good friend who has 19 years in and is in the Special Forces - Reserve. He and another friend (both successful men, with families, making at least 4 times what made the last full year I worked, neither with college degrees) have recommended to me for the past 1.5-2 years that I go into the military. Knowing me personally, and fairly well, I value their opinions greatly.

In the past 6 months, however, I've considered options in my life to further myself and my family. I had been considering joining the military in either intel or communications (one interesting, one with job opportunities post-mil), and then thought about merging the two paths. I started lessons with the intent of working back up to a level where I could audition for a military band. Yes, I know I'm not good enough for The President's Own or any of the Air Force bands, but with proper training, enough practice, and the determination, its possible. It may not be probable, but its possible.

A lot wrong with this, particularly if you have a family beyond yourself. You are trying to enter a field that is crammed with folks coming out of music schools (with "credentials" based more on paper than on ability, but paper's a hell of a lot more easy to review), this to enter a life that's hard on families at its best (deployments without family). (It's not as bad as it used to be, since musicians don't go through standard training any longer, even in the Marines.) Sure, if you do make the grade, you'll get a lot of practice and get paid for it for the duration of your hitch, but you will be playing a form of the lottery, one where even the best sometimes don't win the brass ring.
From my research, Army, Navy and Marines all go through 9 weeks of BT, with up to 6 months of AIT at the Navy School of Music in Virginia. If you can make the AF bands, well, your 200,000$ piece of paper from Berklee or the New England Conservatory lets you bypass AIT.

(I often tell of my days (literally) in an Army band during the tail end of the Vietnam era. I had just finished up the first four months of my time in our division's armored battalion (which was being redeployed), and I had the opportunity to land in the 4th Infantry Division band. I was actually transferred over (and had a clarinet sent over for me to use, this in advance of the actual event) before the mounting clues about the Cambodian "invasion" (supply dumps filling up in the base camp, the majority of the infantry battalions in the brigade in on stand-down) dawned on me. As the proud possessor of the then 11B military occupational specialty (infantry, ground pounder, cannon fodder, whatever), I could see the writing on the wall, and quick as a gun engineered a transfer to the divisional armored cavalry squadron. I then spent the remainder of my time in country sitting atop of my tank (despite the infantry MOS, all of my in country time had been spent in armored vehicles) alongside of Highway 19, watching the infantry folks being trucked off to the west. All of the infantry folks in the band got swept up and transferred to fill out the infantry units. So much for instrumental music.)

But, I digress. Even without the chance of ending up in a line unit, military life is still pretty disrupting. Some can adapt, some cannot. (I also did s few years in the local NG unit up north - a whole different set of circumstances there.) From what you have said earlier, I don't think that you and the military, even such a dilute military as is the United States Air Force, would be a good fit. I could be very wrong of course. But, the difference is that, if I am wrong, you still have to live through a minimum of four years of military life with all the disruptions and all. If I am right, then you've got a miserable experience in front of you.

Enough about the military, however. It's a choice that only you can make, and once made you are set for the next four years.

All true enough, but the physical aspect is not what it used to be, so don't worry there.

All correct in the global sense. No question that these folks can steer you right there. However, this is a forest for the trees issue. A better horn is always out there somewhere. I'd kill for a Conn horn (one from the 1920's, mind you) with 1950's Selmer keywork and a reasonable thumb hook, all gold plated and in a non-stinky case. Given enough money, you can realize any dream.

But, the problem here is that you don't have that money, and despite your planning, don't have any certainty of getting it any time soon. That's a fact that's as true as it is unpleasant for me to say it to you. If you are good on your current Conn horn, then you are likely good enough as it is without a new horn (or even a new mouthpiece). Changing horses in midstream isn't likely to be the magic fix that you would like it to be. And, even if it is, again I have to say that you don't have the money or (currently) the prospects of getting it.

There's a nifty quote from (of all people) Hunter Thompson that applies here:

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Gotta love HST.

Following a dream is all well and good, as long as there are not thousands of people waiting for you to debase yourself for the sake of your art. Believe me, they are out there, and if you don't stay in a twenty year military career, you are going to find yourself in a "play for exposure, not for pay" nightmare somewhere down the road. You are an outsider now, when literally thousands of conservatory trained musicians are pounding the same pavements with those degrees, ready to take up low paying jobs in the field in front of you. Unless you are ready to play everything and anything, you will have limited opportunities to make a living, and even if you do you will be scrambling just to keep your (and your family's) heads above water. When all of this is considered, worrying about this or that sax is like rearranging the deck chairs on the Andrea Dora.

(I'll wait while you look that one up on Wikipedia...)
Odd that I couldn't find Andrea Dora on wiki... oh, you must have meant the SS Andrea Doria. I'm trying to search my memory banks for this, as I used to be heavy into the RMS Titanic when I was a child, and was grossly dissapointed in the movie of the same name due to what was wrong, even though they had Robert D. Ballard as a consultant.

Another thing... the military prospect is probably the only avenue which I would try to persue a career in music, at least on the performance side. I may long after a dream, but my feet are still planted in reality.

Great - for her. Not so great for you, given your stated financial position and current prospects. Remember, the influence of the whole saxophone experience varies inversely with the distance from the bell of the instrument. The sax has less influence than the mouthpiece, the mouthpiece less than the reed, and the whole shebang less than the flesh and blood thing north of the mouthpiece.

It's been my experience with horn sales in the second-hand arena that you seldom realize what you would like to get. I've sold off an entire set of Mark VI horns (soprano to baritone) and got enough to buy a pretty car and boost a down payment on a house, this at the behest of my wife at that time. These days, I don't have the wife, house, car or horns. I still don't think that I got fair value for the horns, even though three of the four were virtually new and the fourth (the baritone) was in almost new condition. Such is life.

But, I was able to steal (almost literally) another Mark VI tenor at salvage sale prices, and then parlay that purchase into a wonderful baritone, all of this due to my current (and last) wife. Since that time, I've added the others as needed (while never having given up my three main clarinets throughout it all).

Sometimes the magic works, but more often it doesn't and you end up selling hundreds short. Good luck with that, however it turns out.
If it comes to it, I have other shiny things in little black canvas bags that are worth enough money to get me out of a jam that will be sold before I'd consider selling my Conn for something other than other saxes. It would be a blight on the name of John Moses Browning and his marvelous gift to the world about 97 years ago, but better than a strike against Adolphe.

Only that, and hardly worth the extra price considering your current situation.

There are very few in the world who have a career that they love as a passion and get paid well for it. The world is full of people who, hoping for such a career, spend their lives preparing for it at huge expense, neglecting every other approach, only to find out that there are few slots for professional actors, models, artists, musicians, authors and poets. While I wish the best for everyone so inclined, I am enough of a realist to not think that 1% of them will succeed.

When I was your age (says the old man, knocking the crumbs out of his pipe bowl) I knew a girl in collegiant -level theater in Saint Louis MO. She worked the St. Louis Repetory theater when I played there in the pit orchestras (damned good money, if somewhat seedy surroundings), and I even dated her for a few months during one production. (She played one of the whores in Threepenny Opera - nothing like seeing your current amorata dressed up in a corset under the lights to get your imagination going.)

This girl had everything. A voice like a songbird, with incredible range and expression. Stage presence that could only be called commanding. Legs down to there, and the rest of the goods to go with it, including a glorious mane of red hair. Acting ability, so much so that the rest of the cast paled by comparison. All in all, a stunning, talented, knock-'em-dead performer - sort of like The Mer, only with good looks in the bargain.

(You can check that one out in Wikipedia as well - go ahead, I'll still be here...)
I think Wiki is tired of us...

I lost track of her (not The Mer, but rather my young lady friend) when I changed jobs with the government and spent a lot of time out of town, but I (and everyone else associated with her) truly believed that she was going places in theater. (One thing that I knew was that she was way too good for the likes of me.

She moved on to New York with high expectations and - poof - vanished from view. No one of us who knew her back in the day has ever seen hide nor hair of the girl since. (She doesn't even show up on that internet search engine that turns up everyone - only her mother up in central Illinois (who is long time dead at this point).)

What happened? Well, nobody (including her college drama instructors) knows for sure. Most likely she ended up marrying someone with money (she was a knockout, after all) and moving to Scarsdale NY and cocktail parties and parenthood. But, she never cracked the Broadway barrier, likely as not because there were already hundreds of Sutton Fosters already there, stacked up like so much cordwood, each and every one as cute and perky and talented as Connie, and only a limited number of slots in which to stuff them.

As for Connie, so too for you - and me, and everyone else in the "Gee it's fun to do this" fields. You can increase your chances through some avenues - willingness to play all types of music helps, playing rare instruments helps (baritone over soprano, alto or tenor, bassoon over clarinet and so on), getting "ins" with people in the business, and so forth. But, taking a flying leap as one of many tenor or alto players in the world, hoping to grab and retain a grip on a slender thread of a chance to make a go of it when you have a family to support isn't the percentage shot.
I realized when I was about 15 that its not what you know, its who you know. One of my aforementioned friends has quite a bit of military pull in the area... he's a good guy to know in MANY ways. I've been working on networking to some degree for the past few years as an adult. I have some well placed friends, in the area, at least.

All of this points to a crap shoot, like it or not. With a family and limited funds as part of the picture, I'd say skip the horn, use your current skills to impress them, and that way if you don't make the cut, you'll at least not be out of hard to come by cash. Remember, your teacher doesn't have the same stake in this that you do. Your failure (should it occur) will be no skin off of her back. So, go with the skills that you have (or work them up further) and save the money spent on the panacea of a new instrument.

Nashville used to be death on horns (the Grand Ole Opry used to have an unspoken ban on them in any group that appeared there), but there are a few calls for them these days. Better you should get your mandolin chops up to speed, though, for Nashville work. Well, that and join the union...

Well, now you're cookin' with gas. It was worth staying up to 2:30 AM to write this post, just to see this last bit at the end of your obviously heartfelt thoughts. My last piece of advice all along was to do just that. Great minds think (almost) alike!
FINALLY!

Money ain't everything, but it can feed and clothe you and your family, and even provide the means to purchase that horn (or horns) of your dreams. Play as a sideline, get your fulfillment from that (plus make some really nice money on the side), and make everyone (yourself included) happy in the bargain.
Let me say that though it seems we may butt heads on many things, I do appreciate you taking the time to respond. I've stayed up many hours replying to things before, sometimes worthwhile, oft times not.

Like I said earlier, however, the military is about the only option I would consider where I could play saxophone for a career. I think I could do something music related (I have some family ins I could pull and get work, and from there I could possibly get in with the soundboard guys, who occassionally are as clueless as many deaf people wearing headphones when it comes to proper mixes.) I doubt I'd go that route unless I move to Nashville (which is a possiblity were my wife to transfer there, I have some connections there as well in non-music related fields).

I'm going to be rolling the dice with my life and my family's lives no matter what I end up doing, be it military (drastic change, but possibly the kick in the pants we ALL need), getting a good job (would have better housing, better car, more toys... but quality of life would be dependant on choices we make, still), getting a mediocre job which would be more money than I'm bringing in now, but I have a kid who isn't school aged, factor in childcare costs, and it may lead to the next option... staying home with the kids. The wife is in a job that pays the bills, she likes it (most of the time). She has a couple years in and has a better shot at advancement than I have were I to re-enter the workforce at the ground level.

There are many things on my plate right now, and I'm trying to digest it all. This is but a kernel of corn... a kernal that I've been picking at for WAY too long tonight.

Til the 'morrow,

**BRENT**

MexicanDragon said:
Another thing, if you looked in the first couple of posts in this thread you would have noticed I wasn't looking at JUST a Ref 54, I was also thinking about the "Flavor of the Month" horns, the Phil Barone line. If they are virtually identical to the P. Mauriats at a fraction of the price, with a fairly warm reception of the PM, I was tempted to unload my 6M-VIII (96% silver plate, gold wash bell, conservatively at "Very Good" condition, freshly reconditioned) at the approximate current market value. With the cash off that, I could easily afford a brand new PB alto and PB tenor (in bare brass, as its one of the least expensive options). That would give me two horns (I don't have a tenor right now, nor have I ever owned one), two new mouthpieces of relatively high quality (from what I understand), and after a couple trips to the tech, what should be a fair compromise of modern ergos/performance :: dollar.
Mmmm. The Phil Barone horn isn't exactly a P. Mauriat: the keywork varies considerably, depending on pitch (the "saxello" has quite different keywork, the tenor is fairly similar).

Mr. Barone has made comments on SOTW that tend to imply that the body tube on his horns are exactly the same as the PM (which would thus imply that a Barone sounds like a PM), but there have been some comments there that question that.

I've not played the Barone horns, I've just looked at the comparison pictures of the "saxello" and tenor.

Can I just say I love this thread. It is one I'll point youngsters to as they consider adopting music as the chosen career field. I once asked a very popular music teacher how does he feel about encouraging musicians to go into a field that most likely will make it hard to feed your family. He said that he thought about that a lot.

It's not like I have any answers. But my father talked to me about the Computer guy (in the early 70s who hated his job but got paid so well that he worked 5 or 6 months a year and then spent the rest of the time composing music. I struck me as very profound, I was 15 at the time, when Dad said that if you make your hobby a job, will it still be something you love. Of course the hours and venues for most musicians was another deterrent.

I think it might be beneficial for folks, as we've gone off the thread of comparing horns to comparing careers, to check out my story. Why? Well, because I'm an egotistical maniac, of course, but it's also a bit of a chronicle of a professional career and how one defines "successful music career".

Last edited by a moderator:
pete said:
I think it might be beneficial for folks, as we've gone off the thread of comparing horns to comparing careers, to check out my story. Why? Well, because I'm an egotistical maniac, of course, but it's also a bit of a chronicle of a professional career and how one defines "successful music career".

And it bumps your post count! :emoji_rage:

I enjoyed re-reading your post (I'd read all the sax related posts there at the beginning, and couldn't wait for more to consume). I've obviously thought about the music career thing, and the military is the only one I could see myself doing as a musician, if only for the fact that its a decent living fiscally, lots of prospects for life after 20 years (would have a reasonable retirement in my late 40's), and could go on and do something else with my life from that point. Being a struggling musician, or teacher... not what I want to do. I watched the education field bring my father to an early grave (mid 40's, superintendent of school system, fatal heart attack.) We didn't struggle, but I knew what a lot of the teachers made. Its not worth it for what they do, though I respect (most of) them immensely.

Anyways, yes, it has turned into a bit more than it started, and I think that's great. This is as close as I get to journaling my thoughts these days, and if its out there and can help others (along with myself), its well worth the hours and hours I have into this thread (*Note: I have kids, which means most any post I have is sporadicically typed. My longer previous thread took about 5.5 hours to get through, though I DID leave the house for 2 hours of driving in the middle of it.)

*Note #2: I'm scheduled for a haircut tomorrow (I'm hispanic with hair that is long enough for a short pony tail, think samurai. I get the "Hawaiian" and "Samoan" thing a lot these days, not the best image when you're going into an interview and wanting to make a good first impression, at least not for a guy). After the haircut, I'm going to the job interview. Its a commissioned sales position where one of the newish guys pulled down 85k last year. That's INCREDIBLE money in this part of the world (Tennessee, USA... no income tax is making it the new Florida for retirees). If I get the job and could make even 50-60k, that's a GREAT living in this area.

I did get in a focused practice session this morning, spending 25 minutes of it on a single scale with a metronome, up and down, going back to something I picked up from piano lessons when I was 7 or 8. Do it right, do it PERFECT, 5 times in a row, then you can go on. 4.5 times I made it without a flub, with the metronome set, right on the click, then FLUB! I started over, I got through it, then I went on to do some scale excercises on the particular scale I picked up from a masterclass with Dr. Otis Murphy a couple months ago. Needless to say, I can tell I made progress in under an hour. Sometimes going back to fundamentals can do a LOT for your game...

pete said:
Mmmm. The Phil Barone horn isn't exactly a P. Mauriat: the keywork varies considerably, depending on pitch (the "saxello" has quite different keywork, the tenor is fairly similar).

Mr. Barone has made comments on SOTW that tend to imply that the body tube on his horns are exactly the same as the PM (which would thus imply that a Barone sounds like a PM), but there have been some comments there that question that.

I've not played the Barone horns, I've just looked at the comparison pictures of the "saxello" and tenor.

And we're just supposed to take your word for it from PICTURES!?!?!? of all things? PSSST! ;)

I haven't been following the PB/PM talk much in the past month or so. I've been focusing on my horn (now that its back from the shop) and the SX90R I have in my possession right now. I did listen to the clip of Al Stevens from his Barone and from his Ref... the Ref was a hands down winner sound wise. I don't think it was a 3000$ improvement, but to each 'is own. Maybe I'll peek in on SOTW and catch up. Still, I think, for many, its a great option for a lot of people, either beginners or weekend warriors, or maybe pros looking for a backup horn on the cheap/reasonable. Having a quality mpc with a decent horn (it seems that at WORST, these horns are "decent", no?) Anyways, responsibility calls...

**BRENT**

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom