My first (Mouthpiece)Blow

So I ended up getting a C mel mouthpiece delivered before actually receiving the sax. Bought a reed, soaked it and gave it a blow through my perceived idea of embouchure(as read about mainly here). First off thanks, I was able to make a sustained tone for well over a couple seconds, mainly due to great explanations of people on here in the beginners section.

For frame of reference, Reagan was still prez the last time I tried a reed instrument. lol

Second, I using a tuner set in the key of C. I am mainly getting it at E while sustaining. What note should I be attempting to play? Seems like I can adjust the pitch, just not necessarily able to sustain a C. I am using a Rico(orange) #2 Tenor reed on a J J Babbitt MPC. Seems as though the reed is too soft. Can I trim it to make it stiffer? I have plenty of tools, though no reed trimmer yet. All advice welcome.

Second, I using a tuner set in the key of C. I am mainly getting it at E while sustaining.
Just playing the mouthpiece? IIRC, my C melody mouthpiece played around an E. It's been awhile since I played a C melody, though.

You can read up on the subject here and here.

What note should I be attempting to play?
If you're tuning the horn, standard tuning is done on concert C or A. If you have a digital tuner, it doesn't matter. Personally, I'd tune on C, because you've got 3 you can play: :Line0::Space3: and 8va :Space3: by using normal key combinations.

Seems as though the reed is too soft. Can I trim it to make it stiffer?
Yes, although I'd ask why you think it's too soft, first. Most beginners are started on 2.5 ("medium soft"). Answering the obvious question, no, as you play more, you don't necessarily go to a harder or softer reed. Benny Goodman played 1.5s and 2s.

Just playing the mouthpiece? IIRC, my C melody mouthpiece played around an E. It's been awhile since I played a C melody, though.

You can read up on the subject here and here.

If you're tuning the horn, standard tuning is done on concert C or A. If you have a digital tuner, it doesn't matter. Personally, I'd tune on C, because you've got 3 you can play: :Line0::Space3: and 8va :Space3: by using normal key combinations.

Yes, although I'd ask why you think it's too soft, first. Most beginners are started on 2.5 ("medium soft"). Answering the obvious question, no, as you play more, you don't necessarily go to a harder or softer reed. Benny Goodman played 1.5s and 2s.

Thanks. That answers all my questions. Unfortunately I did sacrifice a reed, trimmed it and ended up with...welll...not a usable reed. lol Oh well, gives me a chance to practice my filling skills. I'm guessing it's about a #6~7.

So, E was correct then. That was the easiest pitch to play with an open 'piece. At least I got some practice attempting to get a solid C. Not that easy for this extreme novice. But I am able to sustain a decent E so I am on the right track, anxiously awaiting the first of my deliveries tomorrow.

As always, loads of great advice here. Excellent forum, full of VERY friendly, well educated people.

Back
Top Bottom