My new Trio

Hi All,

It's been a long time since I've written a post. I've been very busy playing my heart out :). My wife and I have been working with a Symphonic Band here in NJ (she Trumpet and me Clarinet). We befriended a very good flautist and started a trio. We call ourselves the New Jersey Wind Trio.

We’ve been playing a lot of works that I’ve worked on ie: The Rubank Trumpet Duet book has some Gatti, Clodimir and other composers. I put them in Sibelius and created a 3rd part. I gave the Trumpet the lower part (because of the range) and gave the main part to the Clarinet or Flute. I then wrote a 3rd part for the instrument that had no parts. I’ve also taken pieces like Le nozze di Figaro, Mozart OP 75 Flute duet and also transcribed Beethoven’s OP 87 to flute, Clarinet and Trumpet. I also wrote my first trio as well. It’s pretty good if I can boast about it J.

Our trio had a concert a few weeks ago at a local community center a few weeks ago. We received such great feedback after our first performance we decided that we will record a CD. It helps that I have a 24 track studio and know how to Mic the instruments.

Anyway good to start writing on the board again,

Steve

My Trio

Hi Steve,

Yes, it is an interesting combination of instruments but it works very well. We're going to start recording in the next few weeks. I'm fortunat in that I have a 24 track studio to do the recording. I'll post links once I have at least one non-mastered.

Steve

Every once in a while a friend asks if I can find/create a trio or quartet for their kids for state contest at the jr. or high school level. I usually find a nice duet or trio and go from there. The instrument combinations are usually based upon the instruments their friends play. And many times they want a contemporary chart based on a Pop tune.

I also have scads of piano books, purchased for pennies on the dollars at Half Price Books, with the hope of doing more arrangements. But most of my writing is creating one of a kind solos, with the help of my instructors, so that I can be a more consistent soloist for key concerts.

Kudos Steve for being able to do that kind of arranging and composing. I just wish I'd started in High School like my son did.

More on my trio's

I'm fortunate that I was in music just about my whole life. I went to the highschool of performing arts in NYC and the Army band for 3 years playing Clarinet. Then in the 70's I started writing songs and jingles.

I picked up the clarinet 2 years ago after a 40 year hiatus. Now that I'm in a symphonic band it is such a great feeling trying to write for the trios and also some symphonic pieces. I have one symphonic piece that is almost done for the band and already tried a march I did for them as well. I have a way to go with arranging and orchestration for a large band. I'm used to doing piano, bass and drums putting in some horns and strings with software and hardware synths. Arranging symphonic is a different mindset. With Jingles and Songs I just looked for the best sound in the recording. With live instruments there is a lot more work involved.

I actually bought a couple of books on Arranging and Orchestration and I'm hoping to hone my skills more and more. Having Sonar and Sibelius make it much easier than in the past.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom