Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Mystery Noblet, Help!

I recently picked up this Noblet at an antique barn.
I tried to research, identify and date it. I have to say, that I'm not stupid when it comes to this, but some things just don't add up.
I scoured as many online resources as I could find both clarinetperfection.com and obscure sites with pics.

• The emblem seems to be the later type complex design with more intricate lyre, (d. noblet paris) inside the oval, and the DN monogram underneath. this makes me think LATER Noblet 40s.
  • The thumbrest is two screws above. LATER model.
  • Lower joint has separate posts for spatula keys, LATER MODEL
  • wooden bell is very rosewoody looking, but has the identical logo stamp
  • BUT... The throat keys have shared posts (3 instead of 4) makes me think EARLY model
  • It has the "MADE IN FRANCE" stamp at top of upper joint... only VERY EARLY MODELS
  • and the adjuster on the throat keys.. EARLY model
  • here's the kicker..... serial numbers match on both joints, even though they look like different evolutions, it's not a mix and match horn.
  • kicker #2 serial number is 326. yes that's right. 3 digits. no letters, no A no C, can't find any record of any serial number like that. on an Noblet. just 326.

does anybody have any ideas about what model it may be, what year, what flavor? 20160519_114359.jpg20160519_123606[1].jpg20160519_123238.jpg20160519_123338.jpg20160519_123351.jpg20160519_123726.jpg20160519_131128[1].jpg

thanks to anybody who can help

Mine's [HASHTAG]#211[/HASHTAG], I'll compare it when I'm home. It has an older logo than that one, though.

I recently picked up this Noblet at an antique barn.
I tried to research, identify and date it. I have to say, that I'm not stupid when it comes to this, but some things just don't add up.
I scoured as many online resources as I could find both clarinetperfection.com and obscure sites with pics.

• The emblem seems to be the later type complex design with more intricate lyre, (d. noblet paris) inside the oval, and the DN monogram underneath. this makes me think LATER Noblet 40s.
  • The thumbrest is two screws above. LATER model.
  • Lower joint has separate posts for spatula keys, LATER MODEL
  • wooden bell is very rosewoody looking, but has the identical logo stamp
  • BUT... The throat keys have shared posts (3 instead of 4) makes me think EARLY model
  • It has the "MADE IN FRANCE" stamp at top of upper joint... only VERY EARLY MODELS
  • and the adjuster on the throat keys.. EARLY model
  • here's the kicker..... serial numbers match on both joints, even though they look like different evolutions, it's not a mix and match horn.
  • kicker #2 serial number is 326. yes that's right. 3 digits. no letters, no A no C, can't find any record of any serial number like that. on an Noblet. just 326.

does anybody have any ideas about what model it may be, what year, what flavor?View attachment 2787View attachment 2788View attachment 2789View attachment 2790View attachment 2791View attachment 2792View attachment 2793

thanks to anybody who can help

Noblet is an oddball when it comes to manufacturing. Well, in a way, many companies do it this way but they don't put old stock on shelves and forget about them for a while.

It seems Noblet would make xxx clarinets. Sell the ones that people put orders in to.
Then put the rest in inventory.
Then they would find the old inventory sooner or later and release it as a "newer" model year clarinet.
I've seen this over and over again with Noblet.

I've even seen older Leblanc clarinets get released as a Noblet. I had such a Leblanc LL "A" clarinet that was labeled as a Noblet, though it oddly was exactly the same keywork, toneholes and bore as my Leblanc LL A clarinet.

So it's odd. But I mention that oddity on my webpage. But it's normal coarse for Noblet.
Date it by the keywork and emblem and serial number .. unless one of those is out of whack then date it by the oldest denominator of it.

Last edited:
Now that I'm not being lazy...
The Thumbrest on mine has two screws above it.
Two posts for spatula keys.
The bell also looks like it's different wood.
Mine has 4 posts for throat keys, though.
It also has a Made in France on the top of the upper joint.
It also has an adjustor on the throat Ab.
It does appear to be a lot like yours, just that it has 4 posts for the throat keys and the older logo.
And I'll say again it's [HASHTAG]#211[/HASHTAG], serial on both joints.

Thank you so much!

Noblet is an oddball when it comes to manufacturing. Well, in a way, many companies do it this way but they don't put old stock on shelves and forget about them for a while.

It seems Noblet would make xxx clarinets. Sell the ones that people put orders in to.
Then put the rest in inventory.
Then they would find the old inventory sooner or later and release it as a "newer" model year clarinet.
I've seen this over and over again with Noblet.

I've even seen older Leblanc clarinets get released as a Noblet. I had such a Leblanc LL "A" clarinet that was labeled as a Noblet, though it oddly was exactly the same keywork, toneholes and bore as my Leblanc LL A clarinet.

So it's odd. But I mention that oddity on my webpage. But it's normal coarse for Noblet.
Date it by the keywork and emblem and serial number .. unless one of those is out of whack then date it by the oldest denominator of it.

Thanks so much Steve, your info is invaluable. The idea then is that I give it a "Range" date, because I'm not sure that any of those things fits into one particular year. Not that I know what that year would be anymore.
Now I just hope it restores well. There is a lot of metal corrosion, but the wood is solid.
Thanks again.

Awesome, and thank you TrueTone. Strange that your number is lower, but has newer upper joint keywork?
How does it play by the way, and is there anything tricky I might not know about overhauling this particular horn? Looks fairly standard.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom