Neck Extension No-No

Anyhow, as a point of comparison, do you, MM or other posters, happen to know of a vintage instrument/mouthpiece combination that just begs for someone to lengthen the shank of the mouthpiece? I've not played a horn with my various mouthpiece combinations that was just so sharp my mouthpiece was hangin' off the end of the horn. I've not played that many mouthpieces or horns, though. Just a couple dozen horns and maybe a dozen mouthpieces.

I think the classic example is the Conn 12M with a medium to small chamber mouthpiece. The purists will tell you that you need a large chamber piece for these. I could never find one that had the "bark" I wanted for rock bari.

I loved my Yanagisawa metal 7 bari piece, but it just didn't work with that horn. I did the neck extension for a while (pretty sure it was cylindrical), but wasn't happy with the results, so I sold the horn and bought a YBS-52. I think the first thing the buyer did was remove the neck extension.

Anyhow, as a point of comparison, do you, MM or other posters, happen to know of a vintage instrument/mouthpiece combination that just begs for someone to lengthen the shank of the mouthpiece? I've not played a horn with my various mouthpiece combinations that was just so sharp my mouthpiece was hangin' off the end of the horn. I've not played that many mouthpieces or horns, though. Just a couple dozen horns and maybe a dozen mouthpieces.

An example .... the aforementioned Couf "J" mpc on basically any horn. I've run across ppl that love the mpc but have the same issue on vintage Yanis Yamahas, Selmers .. I can't recall exactly on my Coufs but i think i had the same problem.

The only mouthpiece I've run into which took the smaller bore/pull out issue into the design is the Runyon Bionix. I had an alto one which was a blast to play, but it was falling off the neck and pretty useless for anything other than messing around. I ran across a tenor version and it had the shank lengthened from the factory. If it had been standard length it would have also been useless, but it is a good inch longer than standard and plays quite nicely in tune on the tenors I have tried it out on.

I suppose I should try it with just the mouthpiece to see what pitch it produces.

Older Berg 80/2 would not play in tune at all on my 1924 Conn bari. Erik G double chamber is great on it, older Link STM works pretty well too. I wonder how the Berg would play with an extended shank though...

Older Berg 80/2 would not play in tune at all on my 1924 Conn bari. Erik G double chamber is great on it, older Link STM works pretty well too. I wonder how the Berg would play with an extended shank though...

The shank wouldn't change anything about the way the Berg plays with that horn. The upper second register and palm keys should have been flat, as the small chamber necessitated pulling out excessively in order to tune, making the mouthpiece too long.

Pulling out at the neck however, should improve things considerably.

The shank wouldn't change anything about the way the Berg plays with that horn. The upper second register and palm keys should have been flat, as the small chamber necessitated pulling out excessively in order to tune, making the mouthpiece too long.

Pulling out at the neck however, should improve things considerably.

Not an option on the '24 Conn, since the octave key is on the body, requiring the neck to be in a fixed position. I know you can remedy that though :D

Back
Top Bottom