New Composition for 5 Winds and Soloist(s)

Roger Aldridge

Composer in Residence
Distinguished Member
I'm looking for ensembles that would like to give my composition Smaller Ups and Downs a reading. The piece is scored for 5 wind instruments and soloist(s). It draws upon avant-garde classical & jazz concepts I began to develop in the late 60's and 70's. If this sounds interesting to you, please contact me for a score.

Following is more info about the piece:

Ups and Downs is a series of compositions that explore interplay between structure and freedom. The compositions are based on an 11-tone harmonic complex and a series of tonal effects providing backgrounds to, and interactions with, the soloist. Each piece in the series is framed for a different ensemble setting. Smaller Ups and Downs is scored for 5 wind instruments and soloist.

The soloist can conceivably be any instrument. Additionally, the role of the soloist does not have to be limited to one musician. It can be expanded to multiple musicians...up to the size of a small band (any genre). Any creative possibility is fair game!

The composition was originally conceived for woodwind quintet (with alto flute). However, I decided to not specify instrumentation in the score and use a flexible approach to the ensemble. An instrument is selected for each ensemble part from those wind instruments that are within its range. Creative combinations of tone colors is encouraged. The score can be adapted for other instruments -- electronic production is a possibility -- as long as the music has 5 distinct tone colors for the quintet parts and the notes of the 11-tone harmonic complex are used as written.

A decision was made to use fairly simple tonal effects as a way for the music to be playable by a wide range of musicians. However, experienced New Music or Jazz performers may use more complex extended techniques.

The conductor, soloist, and ensemble have essential roles in bringing the music to life, giving it drama and momentum, and taking the audience on a journey.

I envision this composition as being a framework for a collective creative process to take place between the soloist, conductor, and ensemble with each interacting with the others. In this way, the score is a point of departure for wherever the musicians want to take the music.

Ideally, each performance of this music will be a unique creation.

Back
Top Bottom