New old C clarinet

Carl H.

Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member
C LP
CRS Concours
Couesnon & Co

Just picked it up this afternoon. Needs pads and the barrel fixed, but otherwise in decent condition. Included 2 old Ricos and a Vibrator!

Nothing even resembling a serial number but there is a number over a letter. No signs of any removal or covering up of anything. Wood is in very good condition, other than the barrel.

Kewl! Do you mind me asking how much you paid? I've often toyed with the idea of buying a C clarinet.

Complicated to get a $ amount as there was some work and some other stuff in the trade. I think we both did OK in the deal. After I get the barrel off and the crack addressed (or just get a different barrel!(!)) and some pads in it I'll know if this may be a desirable model or a one off for a good reason.

I may throw a mouthpiece on it as is later tonight and see if it plays at all as it sits now.

Complicated to get a $ amount as there was some work and some other stuff in the trade. I think we both did OK in the deal. After I get the barrel off and the crack addressed (or just get a different barrel!(!)) and some pads in it I'll know if this may be a desirable model or a one off for a good reason.

I may throw a mouthpiece on it as is later tonight and see if it plays at all as it sits now.

interesting. a SOTWer reseller contacted me months ago about a cousenon C over info/$ .. and tried to ebay it for exorbinant amounts .. i don't think it ever sold .....

interesting. a SOTWer reseller contacted me months ago about a cousenon C over info/$ .. and tried to ebay it for exorbinant amounts .. i don't think it ever sold .....

This was from a SOTW member, but one who isn't active - mostly lurking. Lives in my neck of the woods and mostly sells and fixes saxes from his store (brick & mortar not internet)

I purchased Suzy a C soprano clarinet when our community band lost our oboe. It is a nice and new Leblanc something (Esprit?). It has a lovely sound and impeccable intonation. But lo and behold we got another oboe player who's intonation isn't too bad most of the time. So we never use the instrument.

I've encountered a number of pieces of music written forthe C clarinet. Usually I'll transpose them on the spot, or just skip them (quintet music mostly) entirely.
I figure I've run in to the parts enough that it is worth it to have the horn on the shelf. I would have liked to have had a C when we did carnival of the animals a couple years ago. Goes a tad high on the Bb, but comfortable on a decent C.

Any way, I've got one now. Just need to get it playing.

Doing a lot of Rossini will have the same effect on you.

When I was the second clarinet/bass clarinet player for the Springfield (MO) Symphony back in 1967-68, the principal owned his own and the school I was attending (then Drury College, now the much more hoity-toity Drury University, thank you very much) owned a C clarinet (of uncertain origin - it was an unmarked horn). So, whenever we ventured into the Romantic period, we were both set.

But, unless I did orchestral work on a weekly basis, I'd not be willing to invest in one. Had I gotten one on the cheap, well, that's another story.

Doing a lot of Rossini will have the same effect on you.
But, unless I did orchestral work on a weekly basis, I'd not be willing to invest in one. Had I gotten one on the cheap, well, that's another story.
I play in bands just to keep my orchestral chops up.

Speaking of C, I am still nowhere near finding the C clarinet for me at this moment.

The closest that I've gotten thus far were with two horns, one being a Ridenour Arioso, and another that belonged to Ricardo Morales, being a Leblanc Concerto that was overhauled by Backun. The Ridenour made me quite disappointed with the cheapness of the keywork construction while I missed the opportunity to seize the Morales C horn.

I have seen a Buffet C and this Selmer plateau C on clarinetsdirect, but they are all the way out in England, so forget about testing these in person...

Augh. I have become so consumed that I have seriously entertained the thought of having a horn crafted for bloody sake. This is why I have asked of just getting a one-off that goes to low D or C and stuff...

Speaking of C, I am still nowhere near finding the C clarinet for me at this moment.

The closest that I've gotten thus far were with two horns, one being a Ridenour Arioso, and another that belonged to Ricardo Morales, being a Leblanc Concerto that was overhauled by Backun. The Ridenour made me quite disappointed with the cheapness of the keywork construction while I missed the opportunity to seize the Morales C horn.

I have seen a Buffet C and this Selmer plateau C on clarinetsdirect, but they are all the way out in England, so forget about testing these in person...

Augh. I have become so consumed that I have seriously entertained the thought of having a horn crafted for bloody sake. This is why I have asked of just getting a one-off that goes to low D or C and stuff...

i get stuff from time to time from this place (western Canada), and they happen to have a 1925 Buffet C right now
http://brassandwoodwind.ca/clarinets.html

Is that even ok as a choice Steve? The buffet from that era would be before Robert Carree's work of polycylindrical config and all... besides, this is getting rather stepped in the age of vintage...

by the way, anything I should pay attention to in Germany and Europa? Now on my way to Dusseldorf!

Just thought I'd throw out an update on the C. It has been in regular service this orchestral season and seems to play pretty well. I'm using a high pitch mouthpiece -Lakey- and it seems to be a very nice match. Intonation is reasonable and some licks, which I still remember giving me moments of angst from way back, are now lovely to play. I'd say it was one of my better investments in gear.

oh, and with this mouthpiece I can get loud enough to balance the trumpets in the loudest of their moments, while still having a sweet pianissimo!:emoji_rage:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom