New Vandoren Bari Pieces?

Ed

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
I was talking with Andy Faber yesterday and he mentioned that Vandoren is coming out with a V16 piece on bari that is like a vintage Meyer. I can't find anything on this anywhere else and haven't heard this from any other source yet. I think it would be an interesting piece to try and wondered if anyone has heard anything about it.

No, I don't know about the new Vandoren bari piece, but it caught my eye that it is said to be styled after the old Meyer. As you know Ed, my bari peice is a hard rubber Meyer 7m that I bought new in '71. I bought the mouthpiece to use on the new low A mk6 that I had just purchased. I wanted to convert to hard rubber after playing on metal pieces for almost a decade. I played a nice gold plated Wolfe Tayne from '62 untill around '66 when I aquired a stainless Berg Larson 110/2. The Meyer came in '71, and I'm still playing it. So that's three mouthpieces in forty seven years!

The baritone world hasn't been blessed (or cursed, depending on how you look at it) with one iconic piece, it seems. Alto players have their Meyer NY, tenor players have their Super Tone Masters. Baritone players seem to be all over the place, each one seems to play a different set up.

I guess that the Meyer has worked well for me, I haven't seen fit to change after all these years and yes, it does make me feel a little old now that they're cloning a mouthpiece that I bought new. :emoji_astonished:

Julian

I would have thought they'd go after the old large barrel Link bari pieces. Those were actually made from a Ched blank, IIRC.

I know Randy played one of these with Jaco, and Gary Morgan used to play one with the Boss Brass.

That's part of the reason I play on a B75 now. With a couple of mods, it was the closest I could get to the old Link. The Link had the advantage of a longer shank though, making it work better on vintage baris.

Lately I have been playing on a lowly Rico Graftonite which gets the job done surprisingly well. I have to give major credit on these pieces to the late Arnold Brilhart. There are still certain things I prefer about my Soloists but I really need to open them up a bit more and develop a larger roll over baffle.

I picked up a new Meyer but didn't care for it. I'd love to play an older one.

Maybe Vandoren will get around to releasing these and I will find them to my liking.

Back
Top Bottom