Non-Musical Hobby Thread

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
Primarily made because I wanted to talk about my new hobby.

I've mentioned elsewhere that I'm a fan of mechanical computer keyboards. A really simple definition of "mechanical keyboard" would be, "One that doesn't cost $8.99 at your local electronics store." Another poor definition is that it's one that goes "click" when you press down a key. So, what's my hobby? Restoring vintage mechanical keyboards.

I was able to buy two IBM Model M keyboards from around 1990 for pretty cheap. I fixed both up and I'm typing on one of them right now. I'm just going to grab some links off of a website to show you what they look like, because both my keyboards look brand new, so here are a 101 key and a 122 key (video review) from around the same year as my keyboards. (Yes, typing the 122 key does make you feel like you're about to launch the space shuttle.)

I sorta "lucked-out" on my 101 key because all I had to do with it is clean it and now it looks, sounds, and feels perfect, so I'm keeping it and will sell my less-than-one-year-old "main" keyboard. The 122 looks pretty great, but the keyboard has a bunch of weird terminal keys, possibly for launching that space shuttle. I'm thinking about replacing those with the normal ones from a QWERTY layout, then doing something called a "bolt mod." I'm planning on first listing it on ebay to see if I can get some good $ by saying that it's 99.9% original: hey, I just replaced one spring.

Anyway, the IBM Model M isn't the best keyboard IBM made. That title goes to the one made two models earlier, the beamspring terminal keyboards from 1979 to 1981, which sell for $1000+ in bad condition. That's way out of my price range and parts are a bit scarce, so I'm really hoping to buy one of the next models, the Model F, which was made between 1981 and 1985. Those only cost around $125, for a beat-up one.

I did just purchase a non-IBM keyboard for extra cheap. I'm still waiting for it to arrive. It has a 1/3 chance of being excellent, 1/3 chance of being really good, and a 1/3 chance of being "not bad for the price."

So, what's your non-musical hobby?

Beamspring keyboards. Man, in the early 90's I had to pay a scrap dealer to haul them away by the pallet (including the CRT). This was when IBM PCs could finally do terminal emulation well, and people didn't want two devices on their desk. I'm also regretting pitching my Atari 2600 console and the 25 - 30 game cartridges for it.

My non-musical hobby is boating. I have a Cobalt 242 bowrider. Here in TN, boating season runs from mid-April to mid-November. From our house we have about 300 miles of shoreline to explore without going through a lock. Lots of bars and restaurants on the river to stop at.

Which reminds me that I need to get off the computer and go down to the dock and clean it. Between the spiders and the mud dauber bees, it's a weekly chore.

Fly fishing, beach casting and camping!
nothing makes me happier than being away from society to just switch off and relax!

leave the phone behind (or put on do not disturb) and spend quality time with the youngsters!!!!!

A number of things over the years. Travelling of course, taking pictures (I won't say photography, I just take pictures...), swimming, fishing (fresh water mostly), basketball (in school and in my youth Sr. Mens). Oh, don't forget TV!
Since 2005 my big thing has been scuba diving, which I took up at age 51 since we moved to the East Coast right on the Atlantic. I got into this to enhance my life long shell collecting hobby. I have been a working dive pro (Divemaster) when I assisted with Open Water (beginner) courses and have done 812 dives to date. Hoping to make 1,000 before I'm too old (that maybe being next week.....?).

Back
Top Bottom