Noobie 'Breaking In New Buffet Crampon B12 Rule' Help Please?

Hi Guys,
I'm new here because I just got new Buffet Crampon B12 today, which is amazing, But I found a care card inside which says that for the first month it can only be played for no longer than 30 minutes at a time. I would just like to ask anyone who can confirm that this is strictly speaking true, and also how long after stopping can you begin playing again? I need to know because this rule would cut down my practice sessions for a whole month which would be a drag!

I would appreciate any advice you could give if possible please, Thank you.

bjazz :smile:

I believe that rule is only really intended to prevent cracking in wood Clarinets, so I'd believe you would be fine playing your B12.
And as for how long between those- no idea, I've never bought a Clarinet new, sorry.

I've bought a few new clarinets, including wooden ones. I've never seen something that said that you could only play for a brief period of time or whatever. @Gandalfe should be able to confirm that B12's don't have this card, because he works with someone that only has a couple hundred plastic Buffet clarinets :).

FWIW, the plastic Buffet I bought new was one of the ones that were clear plastic with brass highlights. That was a fun horn.

EDIT: Looks like the reference regarding wooden clarinet "break in time" is explained here. Again, I never saw something that mentioned that with any of the new horns I've bought.

EDIT 2: And here's the thread discussing this. Summary: wooden clarinets only, not plastic. A lot of people have had my experience with wooden clarinets, a lot of people played the horn to death immediately and got cracks. YMMV.

Thanks for replying TrueTone, I had thought that this might be the case for synthetic models but I wasn't sure. thanks for confirming what I had hoped, I appreciate it.
I'll still take it easy for a month though just to be sure,

thanks again,
cliff

Thanks Pete,
I don't know why this particular care card was in the case but it is and it doesn't differentiate between synthetic or wood clarinets, just a general care rule, so I got a bit concerned. But I trust you guys know what you're talking about so I won't worry too much about it.

thanks,
cliff

No worries. It brought up something I didn't even know was supposed to be an issue. I also edited my post, twice, with some links and further reading. The summary, for you, is that you don't have a wooden horn, so these "rules" don't apply to you.

Grab yourself a good mouthpiece and you'll be set for a while!

Back
Top Bottom