Oh dear...

Aulos303

_•_ •_• __ •_•_ •____|
Banned :(
While waiting for my dentist appointment I spotted a Buffet Crampon B12 in cash converters, selling for £80. All the keys work, it even has a reed attached. Unfortunately the money is allocated to get a set up done on my ukulele. Was really tempting tho, although not being a player myself I wouldn't be qualified to test it, and the same applies to the shop staff. For all I know the pads might need replacing, or the cork tenons. Oh hum...

It needs to be said again: it's probably not a good idea to buy a used instrument if you're a beginner, especially if you're not going to have your teacher try it out first. And everyone needs a teacher. At least, I don't think it's just me.

While I know that £80 translates to around $100 in real money, Quinn still has a bunch of those B12s for $299. I think that's excellent. Brand new and warrantied.

If you are looking at a specific instrument, you're disregarding my advice about beginners and horns, post a link or two. We've got a lot of good folks here that can say something like, "Ooh. Looks like the repairs are gonna be more than the horn's worth." Or, if you have a specific price point, post that and we could go to town on it.

A few years ago I repaired a clarinet belonging to a member of a band I play with. It was a $95 dollar instrument from Aldi Australia, and as far as I could tell it was absolutely identical with the Yamaha YCL24 that I had on the bench at the same time. It was marked as made in China, was well made with good quality keywork, tuned as well as most student-level instruments and better than many and to my mind represented a bargain. I've repaired another one from the same source since and that one also impressed me. These were not CSO's, they are quite playable student instruments.

It needs to be said again: it's probably not a good idea to buy a used instrument if you're a beginner, especially if you're not going to have your teacher try it out first. And everyone needs a teacher. At least, I don't think it's just me....

Nope, not just you... I too said that not that long ago. ;)

Well I didn't say I was gonna get it, I was just tempted while waiting for my dentist appointment. I know I have to save up and buy a new one. Still nice to window shop occasionally.

I'll chip in on this with my opinion on the matter, I guess:
(I will note beforehand that I'm biased against buying an instrument new; as I don't think it's very economical compared to buying one used and having it overhauled by a good repairman.)
I started out on an instrument that most definitely wasn't new; and I know a lot of other people have also, and that doesn't seem to be holding them back if it's in good shape.
However the most important thing is that it's both a good instrument and in good playing shape; of which being new does encourage the second, typically. (My mom had the Selmer Signet I started on that she used to play in elementary school repadded before I started band, for example of the being in good shape.)
Also, +∞ for having a good teacher; both for playing it to make sure its in good shape; and for making sure you're doing everything correctly; that's very important, imho.
(I'll add in case that doesn't show up on some browsers/operating systems that should be an infinity symbol after the plus.)

I couldn't afford a teacher, I have taught myself pretty much everything so far.

It is the rare person who wouldn't benefit from a good teacher. Sometimes you can figure out how to trade skills to get time with an instructor. You mow their yard, they give you an hour of lessons? Good luck.

Yea I hear ya. We'll just have to see. I'm also teaching myself piano. If I could afford a teacher and find the time I would. But I'm unemployed, it's just not possible at the moment. And any money we get goes to the kids.

Back
Top Bottom