Old Borgani Macerata Clarinet

Hi,I am new to this kind of forum so I hope you will bear with me.
I have just dug out an old Borgani clarinet and am wondering if it's worth having it overhauled.The mouth piece is an Arpeggio,made in france and the rest is original.There is a repair to the part attached to the mp,but is a good repair.The horn is silver rimmed and the metal work is in very good condition although one pad is missing.Judging by the condition of the interior of the case I would say this has been very well used and not a student or hobbyist piece.Inside I found some old packs of reeds by Pichard,golden cane retailed by R.M &Co Ltd London and some labled Roseau D'or although I couldn't say if they are the same age as the instrument itself.Also I would like to know if there is any value attached to this Clarinet and if so would it be easier to sell as is and let buyer sort out any repairs?
I also have a Boosey & Hawkes Regent Clarinet which is not as old but in better condition.Again ,does anyone have an idea of value?
Many thanks,
Bob
Forgot to mention that the mouth piece seems to be stuck to the neck,whilst it turns it doesn't seem to want to come apart.Although I don't really want to force it to hard

The first step to take is to review the posting at this link on our website:

http://www.woodwindforum.com/forum/index.php?threads/global-faq-horn-value.20646/

It's likely to disappoint you, but the steps included are necessary before anyone hereon can offer even a general opinion as to what something is worth. Particularly important are photographs, necessary to examine the horn(s) for evidence of cracking that (in clarinets) can cause the horn's value to plummet like a stone.

Without the comprehensive photos, all that we can do is speculate = and even that may be well off the mark.

Other notes:

* You need to at least find out what pitch clarinets you have: Bb soprano, bass clarinet, etc. I don't think that Boosey & Hawkes made Regent clarinets in anything other than Bb soprano, but I've been wrong before. I'm fairly sure that Borgani produced an entire line of clarinets.

* It's a bad idea to date an instrument by how old the reeds are. You can buy reeds from several dozen companies at any time and shove 'em in the case. My wife just bought some reeds. It doesn't mean her sax was made in 2014. I could also throw 10 year old reeds in a case with a new horn and that doesn't mean the horn's ten years old.
* Macerata is the town in Italy where Borgani is located. "Macerata" is probably stamped on most of their instruments -- and they started making them in 1872.
* Borgani is pretty good about telling you how old your horn is if you have a serial number and can provide a couple pics. Contact info.

* "Regent" was the name of Boosey & Hawkes' student line.
* The Regent line was made for a billion years. Well, from just prior to WWII, IIRC. Some models aren't even made by Boosey & Hawkes.
* Pre-1950s Regent aren't very good, from what I hear.
* You want pricing info? There are a bunch of sold horns on eBay. You'll see that newish horns in perfect shape don't even sell for much.

* The mouthpiece doesn't ring any bells for me. It may or may not have value. Of course, condition is always a factor.
* The mouthpiece that's stuck to the "neck" can be removed by a repair tech. Don't force it. It's easy enough to break.

Back
Top Bottom