Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

old olds, new olds??

Carl H.

Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member
Current eBay auction for an Olds Super. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-F-E...704?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2585a2db80

Their pic of horn in current condition

1159OldsAlto9.jpg

Pic of one currently in my storage area:

DSC02982.jpg

These can be gems, and they are fairly rare too. If anyone cares to take this one on, I will share images of original condition for a true to original restoration.

Right now it's at $102.50, with just under 1 1/2 days to go. I'd bid on it, but I suspect the price will go quite a bid higher yet... and I have too many altos as it is. I'm not that interested in getting another one, regardless of its "cool" or rare factor. That said, were it a tenor, I'd likely be all over the auction. :emoji_rage: At least IIRC, I think I've seen a tenor of these before. Maybe I was just hallucinating. :-?

I emailed about the marching lyre that was added - as another instance of repair work on the horn, but did not receive a reply about it - even with the photo showing an original...

$316.31, ATM.

Oh. Helen, here's a tenor. There's a nicer one on the Worldwidesax website. I've seen less than 10 of the tenors. They're quite uncommon.

Carl, it's interesting you mention the lyre attachment. According to one of the many stories about these horns, they were intended for the US military. You'd think they'd want lyres. All the Supers I've got pictures of don't have the attachment.

Winning bid:
US $365.00
[ 36 bids ]

Shipping:
$45.00

Which really isn't that bad. If you throw about $1500 at it, you could make it a really pristine looking and playing horn.

Oh. Helen, here's a tenor. There's a nicer one on the Worldwidesax website. I've seen less than 10 of the tenors. They're quite uncommon.

Carl, it's interesting you mention the lyre attachment. According to one of the many stories about these horns, they were intended for the US military. You'd think they'd want lyres. All the Supers I've got pictures of don't have the attachment.

The one on WWS's website belonged to Sarge himself. I suspect it's sold already, or Chadd bought it from Sarge's widow. It certainly is/was in pristine condition. Sarge did a beauty of job restoring it.

$316.31, ATM.

The rumor was that the ship hauling these military instruments sank. That could be where all the horns with lyres are.

Back
Top Bottom