One of the worst clarinets

This is one of the worst clarinets I've ever seen. I asked on the clarinet forum and it seems this clarinet is from Russia or another former SU country. That's what I thought too since the only other clarinets that reminds me of this one was a Russian/SU clarinet that was the absolute worst I've seen.

It was almost certainly brought here by a Russian or someone from a former SU country in one of the huge Alyahs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliyah).

I just thought some might be interested to see it, or maybe some people here would have more info about it.

A Russian saw it and translated the stamp. It says the price is 160 Ruble.

At the moment, that's $5 US. Even with an inflation calculator, that's going to be pretty small.

Yes, I checked that too... and now I'm the owner. I actually paid more than $5, the seller got a great deal :) There is nothing clarinety to do with it. Repairing it to any reliable condition would cost more than buying a better cheap clarinet, and it would still play terrible after. So I'm lamping it :)

The middle tenon and barrel tenon are just corked normally (actually the barrel tenon has a string, but I wasn't going to waste time corking it!). The bulb house is glued to the barrel. The bell is glued to the base.

OK, it's done (though I might get a bigger lamp shade).

I ended up using a method that doesn't require gluing the barrel to the lamp housing. It's just making a part to fit both sides to connect them.

Here in America at least, the Home Depot and other such places sell a threaded hollow rod that can be used to assemble lamps made of a series of objects. Usually used for hollow vases and the like, it can also be used for stringing together clarinet joints together with a base to make a lamp.

You cut the rod to length, allowing enough for the protrusion at the top end (for the socket) and for the protrusion at the bottom (through the base and into (but not through) the recess drill for the nut and cord clearance). Then, you run a nut onto the top end with a washer big enough to bear either on the top of the barrel, or sized so as to fit into the socket at the top. Then, you pass the other end of the rod down through the clarinet, through the base, and then put another washer and nut on the bottom and make it all up tight.

You then drop a piece of string through the rod, pull the lamp cord through, wire it up and there you go.

A lamp harp mount can also be threaded onto the rod, just below the socket.

Clarinet lamp

I made a clarinet lamp once, to illuminate my repair-shop-in-home. When I began working for a music store where the repairs were in house, I turned my repair shop into a music room/horn maintenance area. When the repair shop ended, the clarinet (hard rubber, tarnished keys) went into storage, and it is currently for sale, if I can find it.

Suzy made this for me last month from a sax that was destroyed in a theater pit.

Attachments

• DSCF1191.JPG
    DSCF1191.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 285
  • DSCF1191.JPG
    DSCF1191.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 275
  • DSCF1192.JPG
    DSCF1192.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 269
  • DSCF1192.JPG
    DSCF1192.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 276
How did the sax get destroyed ? looks pretty good in the pics?
When I returned to my seat after a break, yeah I went to watch the dancers, my sop was lying on the floor. I took it into my tech and the cost to fix was more than I paid for the instrument. There were bent tone holes, rod problems, and more IIRC. I used it as an excuse to get a Yanagisawi s992. :)

Back
Top Bottom