One player many parts video

When played by a talented player the French horn has a wonderful tone.

Jazz Cadet Session? Good stuff and with one instrument he often sounds like many. The circular breathing thing doesn't add anything to the composition but the audience liked it. Weird effect where it appeared on the second link that he was humming out loud while playing?

Yeah, that's a pretty typical way that brass players do multiphonics.

Bill Watrous was the first one I heard do it.

Jazz Cadet Session? Good stuff and with one instrument he often sounds like many. The circular breathing thing doesn't add anything to the composition but the audience liked it. Weird effect where it appeared on the second link that he was humming out loud while playing?
I've seen him live. These are small bits which probably don't represent him the best (at least it's limited). I agree the circular breathing doesn't add to the composition, instead it is the composition. Too bad the recording isn't so clear but it's just a drawn and he sings a line same time. Without circular breathing, there's no drawn i.e. no composition (not this one at least). Humming or all sorts of types of singing (or making noises) while playing is used by many players on many instruments (doesn't sound weird to me, at least not in this case).

Nitai

I had the opportunity to see Oystein in person. He is an incredible virtuoso on the tuba. He is even a very good jazz tubist as well.

John

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom