ooooooooooooooh!

Helen: A while back while I was at Jim Scimonetti's store in Lancaster, CA, Jim showed me a contraption he made for his low-Bb baritone saxophone. It looked similar to what you've described above . . . an insert in the bell that looked like a chimney. He played a chorus of NIGHT TRAIN and honked out the low concert C with power and clarity. DAVE

I think the "weight" argument is overrated.
Only to those who never had to deal with it. To an elderly, small, or otherwise weak person, a few pounds really add up after a period of time holding them.

Given a one-hour set, standing up, I want everything as light as possible. I even prefer not to wear a necktie. :emoji_relaxed:

Only to those who never had to deal with it. To an elderly, small, or otherwise weak person, a few pounds really add up after a period of time holding them.

Given a one-hour set, standing up, I want everything as light as possible. I even prefer not to wear a necktie. :emoji_relaxed:
I keep making the mistake of wearing a tie when required. Sigh... it doesn't work. It's amazing how many older bari players use a peg now a days. I like Jay Eastons method of tipping his sax rax. Soooo easy for both bari and bass sax. And safe.

a peg for bari ... now all they need is built-in wheels for the case (yeah, I know, they make 'em that way now too).

Kinda removes the problems I would have with a bari.

Now where's a SBA bari with a peg and case with rollers for a super-low price?

Well, they could make a bari outta ABS plastic. That'll make a difference.

Saxophone weight is determined based on:

* The amount of keys, including any additional/chromatic keys.
* The material the horn and keywork's made out of.
* The thickness of the material the horn and keywork's made out of.
* Resonators, pads, springs, etc.
* Plate vs. post construction ("ribbed" vs. "non-ribbed").
* Keyguards.
* Soldered vs. formed toneholes.
* Plating/finish.

A 12M is a heavy horn. A YBS-62 is heavier. An 1846 A. Sax bari is light; it has reduced keywork and range.

Back
Top Bottom