Opinions on the modern Selmer Soloist

Have had a S80 C* since I bought the Mark VII alto 30+ years ago,but it's wearing out from the hours I have used it (not to mention my dog taking a very, very small chip out the the tip) and am thinking about one of the modern Selmer Soloists, perhaps in the C** facing. Has anybody tried or is anybody using one them? Do they match up to the ones sold with the Mark VI? I'm not happy with the Meyer (a modern one), and am looking for one single piece that would work for wind ensembles, musical pits and jazz.

I don't they're using the same quality of rubber as the old ones but the chambers look to be pretty close. The outside is shaped like the S80 to some degree which looks strange to me. I played on a vintage short shank on my VI for some time and then moved on a customized piece (a prototype I was working on) that is very similar to the Richard Hawkins Sinta pieces.

I had two new Soloist F pieces for alto. They played the same. I've given both away because, although I liked them, the other players could have used them more than me. I thought the Soloists had more focus and core than my Super Session F, which I still have - and play on occasion.

My grandson has one of them and he'll probably return it to me before he goes to the Air Force Academy this summer. I'll be glad to get it back, but I still favor my Meyer 6S-Medium and my Don Sinta piece I got from Ed.

For sure, I think the new Soloist is one of Selmer's better pieces, and much better than any S-80 I've played - but that's just me. Everyone reacts differently to mouthpieces. DAVE

I'm starting to really think I should go out and try one of these, for bari. They look really nice.

Hey, Ed!

They don't have the modern Soloist out for Bari yet unless I missed something. I have a vintage Soloist for Bari that I scored for a great price on eBay. It's in my case as a backup to the Selmer S90 190.

The Sinta pieces are very nice. They seem to tune better than the soloists and have a little more fuller tone which I think is due to more overtones. I've got a few in reserve for my son and myself.

Back
Top Bottom