Parisian Alto

I just received a very nice bare brass Parisian (pre-Ambassador) alto, thought to have been made by Pierret in France, from a good cyber-friend and SOTW member last week and I'm so thrilled with it I thought I'd share the experience with Woodwind community posters.

This is a beautiful, well-constructed, alto with a full-bodied and colorful tone. Ergo's are great for me, closer to a Selmer Paris alto than Japan, Taiwanese, Selmer USA and even German altos I've played. It's been a long time since I experienced an emotional rush just by picking up a horn and looking at it closely, and that enhanced by the joy of playing it.

It could even jeopardize my Woodwind Forum user name validity, although I still own a Vito Special alto and two Vito Beaugnier tenors.

They may not all be great horns, but this Parisian is at the top of my alto list.

Rob

what struck me odd when I saw my first one is that all the posts are flat, thick, but flat .. just kinda odd looking. The base to the posts are exactly elegant either. flat, square, rectangular, some are round I think .. inconsistent.

I love the dark honey lacquer of alot of them. absolutely beautiful. Good keywork placement. Definitely not pro quality from my standpoint top to bottom but they sound awefully nice.

Some of the earlier Pierrets are absolutely gorgeous. I really like the one that's in my calendar.

The comment I could make about Pierret is that they didn't really advance their design, much: it's as if they had a successful formula and just kept giving people more of it. Or kept using it for far too long and eventually went bankrupt. One of the two :).

I believe they only produced saxophones.

Back
Top Bottom