Patricola

I've needed a new clarinet for some time; more desperately now that I decided to pursue a degree in Music Ed at my university. I've been on the hunt for a couple months, and I've decided that I have my eye on a Patricola CL4 Virtuoso. I'm not one to leap blindly and just buy from wwbw, especially not when making that big of an investment (upwards of $3500). I would like to test a Patricola (either CL4, CL2, or CL5 --preferably the CL4) out, but I can't seem to locate anyone who owns one or find a shop anywhere with one stocked. If anyone could point me in a reasonable direction, that would be much appreciated.

And yes, before anyone may ask, I've played (and considered) a Buffet R13. Beautiful, but not for me.

I'm from Massachusetts. More specifically, the Boston area. I go to school out in western Mass, though, so traveling the span of the state isn't much of an issue.

Last edited:
The IP tracks to the US. Jim's right, tho. cmray, if you're looking for someplace close to you, it'd be helpful to know which big city is close to you.

And yes, before anyone may ask, I've played (and considered) a Buffet R13. Beautiful, but not for me.

I'm not going to say anything one way or another regarding Patricola clarinets. If you're pro, you should be able to choose a pro clarinet without anyone else's interference :).

You might actually want to call one of those big stores like WWBW and ask if you can trial one of the horns. You could even say something like, "I need to test these clarinets. I will buy from you whichever one I think is better." The bold part is the key. It doesn't hurt to ask, at least.

I've needed a new clarinet for some time; more desperately now that I decided to pursue a degree in Music Ed at my university. I've been on the hunt for a couple months, and I've decided that I have my eye on a Patricola CL4 Virtuoso. I'm not one to leap blindly and just buy from wwbw, especially not when making that big of an investment (upwards of $3500). I would like to test a Patricola (either CL4, CL2, or CL5 --preferably the CL4) out, but I can't seem to locate anyone who owns one or find a shop anywhere with one stocked. If anyone could point me in a reasonable direction, that would be much appreciated.

I suggest you consult the University clarinet department and see if they agree with your selection.

Some schools (and instructors) can be picky about this. It's best to ask before you buy, just to avoid the potential hassle downstream.

Ewww...so there is some truth about the old reproach that there might be some bribery (or "seeding", as they say these days) behind the scenes...

Ewww...so there is some truth about the old reproach that there might be some bribery (or "seeding", as they say these days) behind the scenes...

It ABSOLUTELY happens. Not so much from the manufacturers, but the retail end of things is full of it.

Pursue a degree in Music Ed is great but you will need to be able to make an eBay $25.00 clarinet sound like a Patricola CL4 Virtuoso. It's not the clarinet it's the teacher.

Back
Top Bottom