Perfect NYE Gig

As I age I have avoided New Year's Eve gigs. The drunks and the late hours are in my past. But this year I have the almost perfect gig... Little Sisters of the Poor retirement home, from 7:00 'til 8:30. All that keeps it from being ideal is that I have to schlep bari, alto and clarinet, with associated stands.

Have fun. Back in the days I used to take vodka mini bottles with me to Mormon Church New Year's Dances to pour in my punch on breaks cause no one can smell alcohol on you when you drink vodka. :) I still miss it sometimes. Playing gigs I mean---not getting drunk on vodka.

This reminds me of a story. A piano player friend and I played for a rest home one year at Christmas time. The group seemed to enjoy the music. One very old fellow in a wheel chair who appeared to have had a stroke and was drooling out of the side of his mouth stared at my tenor sax the whole evening. When we finished he motioned for me to come close and he pointed to my silver mouthpiece. I thought he was going to say how shiny it looked or something like that. Instead he mumbled, struggling to form the words "What tip opening is your Berg? I played on a 110". Don't judge a book . . .

Have fun. Back in the days I used to take vodka mini bottles with me to Mormon Church New Year's Dances to pour in my punch on breaks cause no one can smell alcohol on you when you drink vodka. :)
The added plus to playing for the Little Sisters is they provide a good bar at their celebrations -- with a nice selection of Irish whiskey. And everyone sips, no one guzzles.

Back
Top Bottom