Pics of my dad's late 40s / early 50s Normandy

No, the case is long gone. I seem to recall it being relatively small, with the case bulging where the "bell" piece (lol what's that called!) fit. I also seem to remember it was covered in a burlap-like material, and was tan colored. The case was in very bad shape otherwise we wouldn't have replaced it. We didn't have any money. :emoji_relaxed: I don't even know if the clarinet was bought new or not. It could have been old in 1950.

Indeed I have a picture of my dad and me playing. Once of us is playing the Normandy (probably him) and I, as a skinny high-schooler, am playing my disposable plastic marching-band clarinet. I'll see if I can get it from Mom. She has it under glass on a coffee table :emoji_smile:.

I was helping my mother seal her privacy fence yesterday and mentioned my recent clarinet shenanigans. After some discussion she admitted that dad sounded better than me, even though by the 5th grade I could play circles around him. This was not a shock - even as a totally unobservant 5th grader it was inescapable. He had a sound that you wouldn't believe. So dark and mellow, with the same mouthpiece that I consider barely worth playing on. Mom also mentioned that by the time I could "play circles around him" he hadn't touched it in 30 years... Ouch, lolz.

(Hi, my name's Tony, and I'm a 'smiley' abuser...)

Last edited:
(Hi, my name's Tony, and I'm a 'smiley' abuser...)

Oh my dear Tony, you'd have to do a whole lot worse than 2 smilies in a post before you'd be considered a smiley abuser :!: Around these parts, I suspect I'm the worst offender. :-? I try restrain myself as best as I can, but I have been known to write entire sentences containing 6 to 10 of these little emoticons. :eek: So you see, you have nothing to worry about. As long as I'm around, your smiley "over-usage" will likely not even be noticed.;-)

PS: In case you think I'm joking, for an example of my best "work" in the use (although some would say "overuse") of smilies, you can always check out this post I wrote on my blog about Selmer bashing.

Back
Top Bottom