Playing Music or Practicing Music?

Playing Music or Practicing Music?

It's said that "Practice makes Perfect". Also there is a real joy in "Playing Music".

Questions:
1 Do you spend most of your time playing songs and solos?
2.Do you spend most of your time practicing exercises?
3.Do you equally practice exercises as much as you play songs?

What is your focus? Just something to think about.:???::?:

depends

lately when I pick up the clarinet I'm playing duets with my newbie 5th grade player.
Book # 1 Beginner stuff. But it's fun as I help on tone and technique, and one can learn by following my playing.

they also bring out my flute and cornet/trumpets and wants to practice those too.
If I do piano ... trying to relearn piano
guitar .. trying to learn

sax .. having fun mostly solo stuff, technical exercises
flute .. trying to figure out how to put it together

it's all fun and enjoyable though ... well, except maybe the flute stuff.

of course, I really do need a trombone too. I've already picked one out ... a used 1980s Bach Strad with F trigger, open wrap like a 42BO or something similar.
Though I really like the old Selmer Paris models but I think those need too much maintenance.

Steve I like your vesatility. I also like to keep the music fresh and the transposing moving. I spend so much time teaching theory and writing things out for students that I have to be careful not to neglect my repetoire. I know I'm slipping if I forget a few notes here and there of my memorised repetoire.So I dicipline myself to play some theory and some "songs" to keep everything fresh. I play atleast one chorus of many songs but not enough to get tired of the tunes if I'm playing daily.
:TrebleClef:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had a routine for decades. I practice method books more than solos, but have a huge solo collection that I do practice. I regularly practice those solos I may perform with the band I play in, keeping in mind past performers (including myself) and what our conductor has in his library of music. Re the method books--a huge collection of the most advanced ones I could find. I also have a booklet of difficult band tunes we've played over the last few decades, as they always seem to get "reincarnated". Another stash I have is of music I copied in the '70s while getting my BM in college, and from various orchestras and bands I've played in. Any practicing is good practicing.

I just wanted to comment on what I *should* do, if I ever play an analog instrument again:

* Long tones.
* Scales.
* Fingering exercises (I'll again mention Sigurd Rascher's 24 Intermezzi for sax. I'd love to see suggestions for other woodwinds!)
* Practice something a bit challenging for me, that I really want to play. I don't really have anything in mind, ATM.
* Play something that I like and I'm relatively good at.

I think I can always use better ear training. Some time sitting down in front of a digital tuner and playing is a great idea, IMO, that's why long tones would be good for me.

Chances are better that I'll pick up my Yamaha WX-5. I don't need to worry about long tones with that, but fingering exercises are a must, especially if I want it to sound more analog than digital.

I just wanted to comment on what I *should* do, if I ever play an analog instrument again:

* Long tones.
* Scales.
* Fingering exercises (I'll again mention Sigurd Rascher's 24 Intermezzi for sax. I'd love to see suggestions for other woodwinds!)
* Practice something a bit challenging for me, that I really want to play. I don't really have anything in mind, ATM.

I think I can always use better ear training. Some time sitting down in front of a digital tuner and playing is a great idea, IMO, that's why long tones would be good for me.

Chances are better that I'll pick up my Yamaha WX-5. I don't need to worry about long tones with that, but fingering exercises are a must, especially if I want it to sound more analog than digital.
Klose, Baermann, Jeanjean and J.-B. Albert for clarinet!
While I'm not very well versed in double reed stuff, I know stuff like the Barret book and some of the Ferling etudes probably would be helpful for the oboe.

* Long tones.
* Scales.

For ear training I've always found it better to have someone pluck a key on a piano/keyboard (or another instrument) and you have to match it for the note and pitch. Can always use a tuner tone and randomly select a tone without looking too.

This doesn't only help in intonation, but also ear training in determining the tone to the note.

I haven't done this in ages though but it was attributed to me having perfect pitch back in high school/college days. Man, that was a long time ago now ...

I love the book of the hardest songs played by a band over the years. What a wicked smart idea.
I started that around 2003. We always played the 1812 Overture at the July 4 concert, and my partner and I usually got maybe 80% of all the staccato notes at that one spot. So, I Xeroxed the part and practiced it over winter. Next summer, I got pretty much 100% of it all and blew my buddy's mind. Same thing the next year. Man was he pissed when I told him I'd been practicing it all this time. That's when I got the idea to copy other stuff.

Tom, I love this so much. I have some of fav solos on a stand from the last few years. But I maybe play them once or twice a year. I'm highlighting this topic on the Woodwind Forum page on Facebook.

As the sax section leader of a highly regarded community band, I would give sax soloists the part as early as I could. Here is an example where our principal sax got the part the summer before doing this gnarly solo which has a lovely split-screen solo (in the video) with a trombone (at the 5:10 minute mark)!

Note as sweet Molly starts the solo a trumpet player drops his mute. I never let him forget that. But it does add some drama to the performance. ;)

Tom, I love this so much. I have some of fav solos on a stand from the last few years. But I maybe play them once or twice a year. I'm highlighting this topic on the Woodwind Forum page on Facebook.

As the sax section leader of a highly regarded community band, I would give sax soloists the part as early as I could. Here is an example where our principal sax got the part the summer before doing this gnarly solo which has a lovely split-screen solo (in the video) with a trombone (at the 5:10 minute mark)!

Note as sweet Molly starts the solo a trumpet player drops his mute. I never let him forget that. But it does add some drama to the performance. ;)
Great stuff. Impressive band. Wouldn't want to conduct that.....

That director *is* phenomenal. She got promoted to a highly regarded high school in the Seattle and surrounds community. So the concert this week will be her last with the community band. 14 years of goodness, it's amazing how many musicians have come and gone in that time frame!

Back
Top Bottom