Polishing Nickel keys at Home

O yes, what sort of anti-tarnish solution might be good so that all that effort won't simply get reset...
Refrain from storing boiled eggs in the instrument case. :p

There are "anti-tarnish strips" and such, but at best they just delay the process somewhat - sooner or later silver will get black again. But compared to nickel it is easily brought back to a fine luster, so not a big deal.

Yup, polishing silver is a much simpler proposition than nickel plate.

All of my horns are triple thickness, against the possibility that I might get a little jiggy with the polishing cloths. The jewelry, of course, is solid silver, so no problem there. The rest resides in the recesses of my mind, where tarnish is never a problem at all...

Why, last year alone we had to lay off the mechanic, the downstairs maid, and the arborist. One so hates to say farewell to old family retainers, but the hard decisions have to be made.

Terry - it is a relief to hear that it has not come to having to drive yourself around, yet. When one's chauffeur goes, it really is the end of the line.

Thought I would share my latest project. I picked up a junked Noblet ages ago, and just getting round to trying to revive it. Goodness knows what fate befell it. It looks water damaged, the wood is bone dry, and I think the previous owner took a scouring pad to the keys. Anyway - it is in the intensive care unit for resuscitation

This gives an idea of the starting point:

IMG_7152.jpg

This shows a buffed key with its partner yet to be cleaned:

IMG_7170.jpg

And here are those keys, along with the UJ / LJ comparison (LJ stripped and going through the oiling process.

IMG_7173.jpg

Chris

Y'know, whenever I see a good horn that's been damaged like that, I think, "Dude. Next time, call me up. I'll give you enough cash to buy a good student horn. I'll be more than happy to take your pro horn and treat it like it deserves!"

Y'know, whenever I see a good horn that's been damaged like that, I think, "Dude. Next time, call me up. I'll give you enough cash to buy a good student horn. I'll be more than happy to take your pro horn and treat it like it deserves!"
For me it's kinda like all the mistreated pets out there; you can't help them all. It would take a very special instrument before I'd invest in it. The pain doesn't go away when you can't help, but you could go broke saving all the neglected instruments out there.

musicalinstruments, I deleted your picture because you were using invalid BBcode. If you want to try again, please do ....

....but you could go broke saving all the neglected instruments out there.

I agree, but this is my way of relaxing, and to take a junked instrument and return it to good playing condition, with the wood looking healthy, the keys shiny, new pads is hugely satisfying.

The materials are cheap, the time is my own that I enjoy. I think I bought the thing for about $30. Ceiling price for these (Noblet Artist) all working is what, about $100-150?

But I could just as well give it to a local school, as sell it on Ebay. It is just good to release it back into the wild...

Chris

So an update.

It is now all finished, with white leather pads. It has scrubbed up well.

Some before and after photos:

IMG_71502.jpg

IMG_7191.jpg

IMG_71522.jpg

IMG_7196.jpg

And some other pics:

IMG_7190.jpg

IMG_7198.jpg

Chris

While we're here, here's a new challenge.

I picked up a Leblanc LL for cheap, and, while it plays right out of the box, the appearance leaves a bit to be desired. First I shall go and give'er a bath and oil etc etc. But they keys...how should I describe it, they are pitted and look like the chrome fittings of an elderly boat. Dunno if the former owner was a sailor or the Swamp Creature, but everything is rough and looks somewhat resistive to plain polishing, I mean the holes are still there after polishing, no?

So, what could be done?

- buffing and replating?
- buffing and laquering? (hey, if saxes can get away with it...)
- lightly buff and electroplate just the touchpieces?
- just clean and be proud of the ratty look?

Ooo - sorry I asked now!

That is a sorry state. I assume that is pitting in the silver plate. If you use a dremel, wool mop and Hyfin (if you don't have a full buffing kit), then you can improve on what you have cosmetically, but I doubt it will look perfect unless you do some hard core remedial work.

The dremel etc will flatten the pitting a fair bit and give it a smooth and shiny appearance from a distance, but it will still look pitted to close scrutiny.

As it is all over the keys, you could experiment with the underside of one of the larger keys to see if there is a compromise to be had between buffing it down, and loss of silver plate.

I will be interested to hear other options open to you

Chris

Ooo - sorry I asked now!

That is a sorry state. I assume that is pitting in the silver plate. If you use a dremel, wool mop and Hyfin (if you don't have a full buffing kit), then you can improve on what you have cosmetically, but I doubt it will look perfect unless you do some hard core remedial work.

The dremel etc will flatten the pitting a fair bit and give it a smooth and shiny appearance from a distance, but it will still look pitted to close scrutiny.

As it is all over the keys, you could experiment with the underside of one of the larger keys to see if there is a compromise to be had between buffing it down, and loss of silver plate.

I will be interested to hear other options open to you

Chris

I /think/ it is nickel-plated. It lacks that, well, silvery feel.

And I should add that the close-up, flash and in-camera "optimizations" make it look far more dramatically than it is (but good for demonstrating). Here in the pictures it looks as if I had to remove two tons of sea shells and clams before I could take a snap.

Besides, what's remarkable is how good the wood (eg the tonehole chimneys) still looks...

Just nipped off to see if I had anything like it in stack of waiting "projects"

The closest I had was a sad looking B+H Edgware. Not sure it suffers from the same malady - but here is the key I mopped

IMG_7445.jpg

and afterwards, you can see the pits, but from anything more than a few inches away, it just looks shiny. Photos a bit hurried so not the best.

IMG_7450.jpg

Chris

xxxx grade wire wool can also be great for this sort of thing, polished after with Hyfin

At least the gold plated springs I could glimpse in your photos looked in perfect condition...

Chris

Back
Top Bottom