Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Post your pit setups

You leave your horns in a theater (or, for the more hoity-toity amongst you, theatre)? Wow, unless there is a locker with my own lock and a key on it, I don't do that...no way, no how. And, even then, I'd limit the contents to the baritone (nothing special or sentimental about that monster) plus my stands and such.

Of course, I have had things stolen in the past, when working the American Theater and the Loretto-Hilton Theater (home of the Saint Louis Rep back in the day). In one case it was one of my custom horn stands (!!!), while in the other it was a cheap (Bundy, God help me) Eb clarinet that I was borrowing for a production of Company, this for no more than sixty notes in one number. I bought the school a new Noblet horn to replace it, so embarrassed was I.

There are too many ways to have a musical tragedy in the theater pit...

I always have taken my horns with me, even if I'm playing in the same place the next day and they do have locks. Even when I was in high school, you'd see me trudging home with a massive bari sax case.

Of course, the two horns that I've had stolen were loaned to someone for her gig ....

I always have taken my horns with me, even if I'm playing in the same place the next day and they do have locks.

Me too. I'm too paranoid not too. I borrowed my Prof's bass clarinet for Beauty and he said he was cool with leaving it set up in the pit if it was locked or in a locker and I just couldn't do it.

You leave your horns in a theater (or, for the more hoity-toity amongst you, theatre)?

Theatre isn't "hoity-toity" at all. There are some Canadians up here ;-) ... "theater" has a pretty red squiggly line under it. :emoji_rage:

Totally agree though ... If I did leave stuff behind in a locker it would have to be stuff I could live with loosing if something happened. :eek:)

I always have taken my horns with me, even if I'm playing in the same place the next day and they do have locks. Even when I was in high school, you'd see me trudging home with a massive bari sax case.

Of course, the two horns that I've had stolen were loaned to someone for her gig ....

At Music Theatre of Wichita, the 1st violinist regularly left her fiddle in its case in the pit. That is, until someone broke in and took her instrument and all of the drummer's cymbals.

The perp tried to sell the violin at a guitar shop for $150, and the owner knew it had to be stolen--so it was recovered.

Another time, I was climbing out of the pit after a dress rehearsal day (taking down mikes). It had been a 16 hour day for me, and I didn't have the strength to climb out of the pit for the 21st time that day. I fell back into the pit. Luckily I missed the harp--but I took out the harp stool!

We actually perform in a loft above the stage. It's locked, and most of the other personnel in the theatre have never been in it, let alone know how to get in.

It's not a perfect scenario, any more than a locker is.

FWIW, if you really wanted to steal something valuable in the loft, you'd be far smarter to swipe the twenty or so Neumann mics that are left in position 24/7. Better return, harder to trace, and much easier to sneak out.

We actually perform in a loft above the stage. It's locked, and most of the other personnel in the theatre have never been in it, let alone know how to get in.

It's like the secret musical tree house. Way cool up there. :eek:)

Thieves often bypass more valuable things while they are taking something bright and shiny. Unfortunately, that doesn't help if you are the one who owns the bright and shiny object...

It's not a perfect scenario, any more than a locker is.

FWIW, if you really wanted to steal something valuable in the loft, you'd be far smarter to swipe the twenty or so Neumann mics that are left in position 24/7. Better return, harder to trace, and much easier to sneak out.

Oh, I'm so sorry you're not a part of the production. Locked in a room above the stage...

Yeah, you KNOW I'd go for the mikes...:)

Here is my setup from THE PRODUCERS, which just closed this weekend. My book was Reed 3: Flute, Eb and Bb clarinets, and tenor saxophone. I also covered some of the baritone saxophone stuff out of Reed 5, and the Eb clarinet part on flute and piccolo.

I don't usually use the wooden stand(unless my gigs call for oboe), but didn't want my clarinet or flute to hit the side of the music stand. I did cave and get one of those little shelves that clip onto the music stand, and used it for my piccolo, tuner, and to set mouthpiece caps on. THEN I was able to get the wooden stand out, and then use the stand my picc was originally on (Hercules flute/picc/clar stand) for clarinet/flute =]

As far as a cup holder goes, I never even ended up using that water bottle when in the pit lol.

I think PRODUCERS was probably the best show I have done so far, but HAIR is definitely a close second!

Mmm... Secret Garden horns... I got the call to do the show once. I called back the next day to say yes, but turns out they had had two contractors calling players, and the second contractor had already given the gig to one of his callees before I called back.

technically not a pit setup but onstage, for our rock opera 'Le Mirage/Dead city Philly"(based on Rodenbachs 'Bruges la Morte')

(l-r)
dual high D whistles
English Horn
Tenor Sax
A-440 Highland pipes
Ciaramella in G
Sei Palmi Zampogna
(not pictured; Full D Uilleann pipes (behind me by the amp)]

I'll admit the zamps a bit of an indulgence- only used on one number, but it s at a crucial point in the plot...

Back
Top Bottom