Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Pre-Selmer alto (but not by much)

I bought and sold about a half-dozen altos over the past few years while looking for a Buescher Aristocrat -cheap. My first horn way back in the '50's was a Buescher alto that I got from instructor Harvey LaRose (of Phil Woods fame.) I studied with Harvey shortly after Phil left for Julliard. He had talent. I joined the Marine Corps.

So, after having bought and sold all those altos, some pretty good, a couple junkers, I came across a Craiglist ad for a '55 Aristocrat complete with tri-pack case, strap, MPC, etc., for "$300 OBO." I met with the guy the next day. The horn was no raving beauty. Lots of lacquer loss, some pitting, but not a single dent or pock mark anywhere. And best of all, fairly new pads, corks and felts, completely adjusted, "fast" light action and, a Brilhart white/black #3 MPc. I offered the guy $150. He said $250. I said $200. He said "deal."

Aside from the finish the horn is perfect. So who cares about looks when the instrument plays perfectly? I thought about having in refinished, but why? Now if only I could find a "Big B" for the same price I'd be a happy camper.

Back
Top Bottom