Prettiest Sax of the Moment

I went semi-nuts with my Gallery yesterday, which was a day off for most folks. I essentially went where Google took me and I ended up seeing all these newer B&S horns.

FWIW, I've never heard anyone say that they're fantabulous horns and I have heard of finish problems, but they are nice eye candy.

Don't see them often here, but when you do they go for high prices. Nice to look at! Pity they went under like so many others.

That's too good to be true. But... Straight, not curly keyguards. With curved, I think I'd have sold my car..... Thanks Pete.

Yah. As mentioned : Selmer Adolphe Sax.

About 1000 or so of the Adolphe Sax horns made right after Selmer bought them are different and the popular reasoning says they're different because they're really made by AE Sax.

I did a bit of comparing on the Selmer version of the Adolphe Sax horns and I seem to remember saying that they look an awful lot like the Selmer Super Series, so if you like the SSS, there's really no reason not to buy a Selmer-made Adolphe Sax. In this case, though, it's a bit pricey. Very pretty, but pricey.

This is the perfect horn.

1. It's Helen bait: a German tenor sax.
2. It's pretty.
3. It's cheap. 100 Euros (will ship international, too).

eBay ad.

Hammerschmidt Klingsor. I dunno if the extra dab of color in the keyguards is original (Helen, you may wish to elaborate), but it does add a bit of pop.

I'm sure I've seen those red lined keyguards before. Not sure if it was theis sax in another auction, or another similar example.

I love those red racing stripes. When you play fast passages, if give the illusion that you're playing even faster. :wink:

Are they original? Well I've never seen them in all the hundreds of Klingsors that I have seen, or any of the ones I have included in my Klinsgor Gallery on my website. That's not to say that a few weren't. Perhaps they are like VIII designation on the Conn 6M. Or not... Maybe they were just a custom feature that were available. That said, I have never seen mention of them in any of the Hammerschmidt brochures that I have read.

No, looks as if they applied a translucent white lacquer. But it's come off in places. At least that's what the description says. I love the contrast between the highly polished silver motif and the white background.

I'll never be able to afford it, unless it goes close to the asking price, and I doubt it will. Helen's welcome to it!

I'll never be able to afford it, unless it goes close to the asking price, and I doubt it will. Helen's welcome to it!

Contrary to what everyone might think, I don't have unlimited amounts of cash laying around for horn purchases &/or overhauls. ;) I have to be careful what I spend. I just don't have children, so I don't have the expenses associated with them. Money that my friends might spend on little Bobby's braces, or little Jenny's piano lessons, I get to spend on myself. What can I say, I was an only child. (Unless that triplet thingy' with Pete pans out, and then I might have me a brother.) :-D

Contrary to what everyone might think, I don't have unlimited amounts of cash laying around for horn purchases &/or overhauls. ;) I have to be careful what I spend. I just don't have children, so I don't have the expenses associated with them. Money that my friends might spend on little Bobby's braces, or little Jenny's piano lessons, I get to spend on myself. What can I say, I was an only child. (Unless that triplet thingy' with Pete pans out, and then I might have me a brother.) :-D

There I was thinking you were one of those super rich musos, living in West Coast, money no object luxury:)

And I'll be dead if I buy that horn and take it home. A sop I can nearly justify, cos I haven't got one, but a fourth tenor, when two are in in different states of rebuild, and I've 4 altos, two in rebuild doesn't help.

Another Dolnet for y'all. Earlier than the one Steve posted a few pages back.

Oh. I'm pretty sure it's silver plate, not nickel. I owned a silver plated curved Evette-Schaeffer Bb soprano that was earlier than this Dolnet and it shined like nickel plate after I cleaned the black/purple off. 1/2st half of the 20th century, Europe must have used some heavy plating.

What would be exceptionally kewl on this Dolnet is to have read pads. That pad choice was original and I think it'd look great on this horn.

Oh, let's stick with that Selmer theme for the moment.

1931 Selmer Super Series ("cigar cutter") Alto.

There's a thread around here, somewhere about a brand new, in plastic, 50 year old Mark VI. This one beats it by a few years.

1932 Couesnon "L'Armee" Eb alto in silver plate.

(I've mentioned before that you determine the production date of older Couesnons by the number in the "grenade fruit." Not quite sure how the seller came up with 1915.)

Beautiful horn that was more than a tad overpriced in the eBay ad ....

This time, I'm going to post a website: http://www.music-privilege.fr/instruments-a-vent/saxophone.html

It's really not that they have some unique, rare instruments. These are just new horns. You click on the link for the horn and get all of two pictures. Picture #1 is essentially a thumbnail. Picture #2 is generally in excess of 20MP. We're talking huge. See the attachment (Selmer Serie III Jubilee lacquer alto).

Selmer.fr did have some insanely large pics for those of us who had access to their "special" area (not enough pics there), but it's nice to see Yamaha and Yanagisawa get the same treatment.

Attachments

• 31.jpg
    31.jpg
    340.2 KB · Views: 286
  • 31.jpg
    31.jpg
    340.2 KB · Views: 294

Attachments

• a.JPG
    a.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 300
  • a.JPG