Prettiest Sax of the Moment

From what I understand, Akustiks' needed all the help they could get, so I really hope they made the horns sound better. Definitely pretty, tho.

I'm actually quite fond of the various key inserts that manufacturers have used over the years. I even like the stones on the Cannonball horns, but saying that the cosmetic enhancements do anything for you, that's a different thread.

Speaking of "key inserts," I keep forgetting to post the link to this sax on the Selmer.fr website. It's a s/n 9909 (1928/9) alto -- that's in the New Largebore serial range -- that was specially made by Selmer for the 1929/1930 Barcelona International Exhibition. It's got amethyst inlay, silver-plated body and gold-plated keywork. Picture linky. (Here's the original Selmer link.)

I wrote an article about how the Akustik evolved into the Weltklang. In short, the story goes like this:

Akustik saxophones were originally built in the former East Germany, by VEB Sächsische Musikinstrumentenfabrik Klingenthal. As had become the political norm in Eastern Bloc countries, on January 1, 1953, the company was forced to combine together with the Signal-Instrumenten-Fabrik Markneukirchen, and the Vogtländische Etuifabrik Adorf, to form VEB Blechblas- und Signal-Instrumentenfabrik.

Originally VEB Sächsische Musikinstrumentenfabrik Klingenthal produced only alto saxophones. Then in 1950, they began manufacturing tenors as well. Until the company’s expropriation in January 1953, approximately 2000 altos and 2500 tenors were made.

After the creation of VEB Blechblas- und Signal-Instrumentenfabrik, Akustik production continued until the beginning of the 1960s. The brand was then replaced by Weltklang.

Looking at the early Akustik instruments made by VEB Sächsische Musikinstrumentenfabrik Klingenthal, you can see the similarities to their Weltklang successors.

There is currently a Weltklang tenor on eBay that is very interesting. It's not like one that I have seen before. It's serial # is 3975, and has the glass key touches of an Akustik. I wonder if they used up the Akustik parts on the early Weltklang horns? That would make sense I guess. In any event, it's interesting FWIW.

Attachments

• Left Pinkie Cluster.jpg
    Left Pinkie Cluster.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 308
  • Left Pinkie Cluster.jpg
    Left Pinkie Cluster.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 299
  • Right Hand & Palm Keys.jpg
    Right Hand & Palm Keys.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 306
  • Right Hand & Palm Keys.jpg
    Right Hand & Palm Keys.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 297
Helen, I think you're right, I've seen a couple of these red 'pearl' Weltklangs on ebay here.

The next time you see one of those Kev, keep an eye on the serial number, and if you remember, fire off an email to me. I'm now curious about them. I'd like to track the serial numbers and see if we can track a pattern, and if we can see a clear serial number range when Weltklang dropped the glass in favour of pearls. I'm also wondering if they made any early horns without glass at all.

My opinion is that you're going to find a s/n grouping. It's unfortunate that I don't have a "real" Dolnet serial number chart, because I'll bet that the Dollies with the glass/plastic inlay were from about the same time. It wasn't on horns for very long.

The next time you see one of those Kev, keep an eye on the serial number, and if you remember, fire off an email to me. I'm now curious about them. I'd like to track the serial numbers and see if we can track a pattern, and if we can see a clear serial number range when Weltklang dropped the glass in favour of pearls. I'm also wondering if they made any early horns without glass at all.

OK, I doubt you'll see any without 'pearls', I don't remember seeing any post WWII saxes without them. Or do you mean going from coloured plastics to pearls? I've got a really scruffy Akustic. The red pearls appear to be some kind of plastic, not glass.

Sorry about the confusion Kev. What I meant by that was that the Akustiks all seem to have coloured glass (or plastic apparently) key touches where the Weltkangs had mother of pearl.

The next time you happen to see a Weltklang with coloured glass or plastic mother of pearl key touches, drop me a note if you remember. It will be interesting to see when in the serial number range of the Weltklangs, the MOP began, and the glass/plastic ended.

Gretsch Commander Eb Alto

First, I do want to mention that a whole bunch of folks made saxophones under the "Gretsch" name, particularly Holton. This one is almost certainly a Buescher Aristocrat stencil, tho. Compare the keywork to a New Aristocrat (particularly the G#/C#/B/Bb keywork) and you'll be sold on that ID.

If you don't mind stencils, I'd bet you could call the seller and get it for under $500.

Gretsch.JPG

I remember that horn... Let me see here... Oh yeah... That's one of the ones I haven't uploaded into my gallery yet.

It's from Montreal's, Randy Cole, and was originally on eBay on October 2011. WTF is that spoofed eBay ad doing on that Russian site?

I have a few Mahillon horns in my picture collection that I haven't uploaded yet. I haven't quite figured out what to write about them though.

The price for such a lovely horn seems much lower than "seemingly" similiar horns. I looked see if the front F or range (left hand palm keys) would justify a lower price. Wonder what's up, it's a gorgeous instrument. Guess there could be a minimum accepted price that we can't see.

IIRC, that same horn has been for sale not that long ago. (I remember his ad copy as well.)

The standard "rule-of-thumb" I've come up with for eBay is, "If the horn doesn't have a name on the bell that other folks instantly recognize, it's newer than 1930, and it's an alto, it's not going to be worth more than $500." As with all rules-of-thumb, there are exceptions. (Oh. If it's before 1930ish and it's not gold plated, in perfect shape, and it's an alto, it's probably going to be worth less than $500.)

I'm slowly compiling another post for my "photoblog" regarding professional horns under $1000 -- the $1000 number is picked because I assume any eBay horn needs at least $300 repair and the cheapest Taiwanese horn marketed as "pro" is a $1400 Cannonball -- and I've been somewhat surprised with what I've seen. A couple of surprises have been Yamaha 855 and 875 Custom horns in the $1500 - $1800 range.

CA Wunderlich CEA.

As mentioned elsewhere, CA Wunderlich probably never made their own saxophones. The engraving on this horn is quite similar to FX Huller horns I've seen, but I really haven't done any research on this one. Just found it while trying to sort through some of my misc bookmarks.

Attachments

• _vyrd13_2039Wunderlich-01-18b.jpg
    _vyrd13_2039Wunderlich-01-18b.jpg
    401.5 KB · Views: 290
HN White King "Artist."

This is one of the rare King horns in gold plate, with additional engraving and additional pearl keytouches, similar to the Conn New Wonder Virtuoso Deluxe finished horns.

Attachments

• $_57 (6).JPG
    $_57 (6).JPG
    344.8 KB · Views: 296
  • $_57 (4).JPG
    $_57 (4).JPG
    415 KB · Views: 286
Back
Top Bottom