Pricing Vintage Saxes - 2008

Gandalfe

Striving to play the changes in a melodic way.
Staff member
Administrator
I was enjoying a conversation I was having with some rather savvy folks when I found and captured this info: Pricing or the Value of a Vintage Sax - Fall 2008. Here's an excerpt:

Of the 120 plus horns I have sold on Ebay the market really hasn’t moved much in this price range. The two horns that’s have really taken off are the early engraved Mark VII’s (240XXX range) and the early Eastlake Super 20’s which are now approaching the $3K range. The others and I think Matt Stoecker would agree would fall into the following categories:
· Selmer Mark VII’s - $2,000+
· Yamaha YAS 875 Customs - $1,900
· Buffet Super Dynactions - $1,600+
· Keilwerth Tone King etc - $1,600+
· Conn 6M’s $1,600+
· SML Standard and Gold Medal Horns - $1,500+
· B&S Guardala’s - $1,400+
· King Zephyr $1,400+
· Martin “The Martin Alto’s” $1,200+
· Conn “Chu Berry” $1,100 · B&S “Blue Label” - $900
As for the Conn, this one just listed for a Buy it Now of $4K now that’s a horn!

BTW, it was interesting to note that these non-forum types joined me in using the SaxPic site for illustrating certain points of interest.

Last edited:
"Saxpics", but I no longer own it, so I don't care as much :).

Back in 2006, I wrote a bit of an article on SOTW regarding Mark VI and other Selmer pricing info. The overall conclusion I drew was that people's impression of how much vintage horns are worth is much higher than what their actual average price is.

(The thread regarding the VI has a bunch of other info; it's worth a read.)

I'm no longer really that concerned with price info, nor have I ever really been. It is interesting to look at the original price of a $horn and compare it to what it's worth today and see what's happened to the value.

My thread to determine horn value is http://www.woodwindforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=806

Back
Top Bottom