Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Quinn the Eskimo Vintage and New Horns

Gandalfe

Striving to play the changes in a melodic way.
Staff member
Administrator
I just retired from the corporate world after 22 years of faithful service. Did 20 years in the military before that. So now I'm starting another band (my fifth to date) and looking at doing some social media for my friends. One of my friends and one of my main sources for vintage instruments is Quinn the Eskimo. I just created a twitter account for him at Quinn the Eskimo. I'll be looking for blogs from key people in the industry to highlight, you know teachers, professional musicians, and important bands.

One of the services I have been able to provide to my family and friends is help with buying instruments, both vintage and new. I can't even count how many people I've found horns for. Be it the young student, college bound professional, or just a hobbyist, I can usually find and vet an instrument and provider. If you want help with that, I can be that guy. (There are many of us on this forum.)

So you can ping me at the normal places and peek in on our Facebook page Quinn the Eskimo Vintage Horns. Thank you for reading.

Congrats on your retirement. Did you go "cold turkey" or ease your way out? I switched to a part time schedule - four seven hour days, as of the first of the year. It's a huge difference from the 45 to 60 hour weeks I was working before. I'm figuring on a year or two of that before I pull the pin completely.

I've been trying to use the extra time to practice more, but it seems I am mostly catching up on household maintenance (and shoveling snow)! I really want to start digging in to the bass clarinet so I can start playing some shows. I could also work on my (non-existent) flute chops.

I walked two years earlier than I'd planned because I wasn't happy doing the 12 hour a day shuffle. Now, over a month later, I wish I'd done it sooner. My wife Suzy retires this weekend! We are spending time together, walking more, practicing together and doing our side hobbies like her Etsy store and my social media service. We are also trying to get a band started that actually pays the musicians some money. Yeah, it's a stretch goal, but I have a mentor who had done that for many years.

The reason I said yes to the Quinn the Eskimo Vintage Horns gig is because it combines two of my loves (music and social media) and I know the owner. It's really satisfying to help my family and friends find that perfect horn, so I want to do that on a bigger scale. I think your idea of scaling down is perfect because for me it removed some of the guilt for retiring 15 years before my dad did and keeps me engaged in technologies that I really love. YMMV.

One of the services I have been able to provide to my family and friends is help with buying instruments, both vintage and new. I can't even count how many people I've found horns for. Be it the young student, college bound professional, or just a hobbyist, I can usually find and vet an instrument and provider. If you want help with that, I can be that guy. (There are many of us on this forum.)

Jim, that's a bit of what I've been thinking about. If you're a pro, you don't need my help in picking out a horn. If you're a beginner or "starving student," you probably do. I've been trying to incorporate that more into my various website projects.

Hmmmmmm. Maybe a brainstorming session is needed ....

Thanks Pete. It's more than that, we want to repay music teachers for their service and expertise in selecting instruments for their primary students. As Quinn sez, "Music educators and private teachers, we know how important your recommendation is to your students when choosing a new instrument. We would like to work with you to provide the best value and best experience for your students. Please call us at 425-747-2349 or email for details on our referral program!"

We have talked to a lot of band teachers in the Seattle area and this program is quickly becoming a favorite. We need to expand the program so that our national music professionals that help students and hobbyist musicians get that professional instrument are valued and receive the benefit that keeps them in the industry. It's time that these educators are repaid for their services!

I just retired from the corporate world after 22 years of faithful service. Did 20 years in the military before that. So now I'm starting another band (my fifth to date) and looking at doing some social media for my friends. One of my friends and one of my main sources for vintage instruments is Quinn the Eskimo. I just created a twitter account for him at Quinn the Eskimo. I'll be looking for blogs from key people in the industry to highlight, you know teachers, professional musicians, and important bands.

So you can ping me at the normal places and peek in on our Facebook page Quinn the Eskimo Vintage Horns. Thank you for reading.

I'm always amazed at the stuff Quinn has.

I recently received a T9935 from Quinn aka Matt. I got a great price and he gave me a great trade on an Alto. I used the Woodwind forum ad to communicate with him via telephone, as EBay blocks his phone number.

Jim, aka Gandalfe's endorsement cemented the trust factor in Quinn.

BTW the T 9935 was immaculate, plays like a dream. The only "problem" was locating all of the tiny corks and removing them.:smile: The odd thing about Yani silver horns is that it is difficult to learn that they are (apparently) lacquered and don't require any special tarnish prevention measures.

Still a new WF member after six years, I remain,

Glenn G

The odd thing about Yani silver horns is that it is difficult to learn that they are (apparently) lacquered and don't require any special tarnish prevention measures.
Yup. That info isn't on the US Yani website, but it's clearly printed on the Yani Japan (example) and Yani UK 'sites (example). It's on the silver plated horns, too, including the 901.

I wouldn't necessarily call it "maintenance free." I'd make sure to dry it if it gets wet, especially in areas of the horn prone to scratches.

Hmm. Username is Bari Sax Guy. Avatar is a bass sax. You've just bought a really, really high-end tenor ...

Yup. That info isn't on the US Yani website, but it's clearly printed on the Yani Japan (example) and Yani UK 'sites (example). It's on the silver plated horns, too, including the 901./
Thanks Pete, I'll have to take your word on the Japanese site.
I wouldn't necessarily call it "maintenance free." I'd make sure to dry it if it gets wet, especially in areas of the horn prone to scratches....
Yes, the thing is that I don't have to store it in Pacific silver cloths.

"Hmm. Username is Bari Sax Guy. Avatar is a bass sax. You've just bought a really, really high-end tenor ..."

Yes, I have more than one sax, including a Keilwerth Bass that doesn't get much play time. The whole herd is listed on my SOTW profile. Right now I'm playing Alto in a Community Band. I'd rather play Bari, Tenor or even Bass, but I'm having fun.

Nice site. As usual for Quinn, lots of detailed pictures on the instruments. I did find one glitch that needs to be fixed. The link for baritone saxes takes you to baritone horns.

Yeah, when I downsized in 2011 my friend Quinn the Eskimo, aka Matt, came to my house about bought 20+ horns from me. As we had two weeks to move, I was very happy to have the money and find new homes for my babies, many of which I hadn't played in years. Don't get me wrong, I kept my 20 some favs. :)

Back
Top Bottom