Relatively new Bass Clarinetist looking for help on equipment.

Hello, I'm a senior in high school, played Bflat Bass Clarinet for 6 1/2 years. I use a school-owned instrument (costs WAY too much money to buy my own considering I only plan on playing through college), play on size 3 1/2 reeds (I dunno what I need) and use an ancient mouthpiece that had the brand name wiped off long ago (used it for about the same time I've been playing). I also use a neck-strap instead of a peg, because I've had bad experiences with them (they never stayed up on the horn).

So, since I plan on entering college and plan on playing in the marching band and concert band, I'm going to need some more serious equipment. Can you guys provide any recommendations as to what I should use for the equipment I mentioned (preferably new)? Thanks, you guys seem like a good starting point for my quest to better playing!

Last edited:
Check to see if the college marches a bass clarinet. I think most do not. if they do, they probably have one you can use. You would not want to take your own out in the rain.

You probably should start with your own mouthpiece. One of the Vandoren's would be a good place to start. A B46 would probably be a step up for you.

Back
Top Bottom