Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Repair area photos - updated - any others...?

Looks nice Nitai. You have made a good use of space. I notice you don't use a bench motor, but have a jeweler's lathe instead. Can you do everything you need to like straightening rods with the lathe?

I will post some pictures of my work area, but I will have to clean it up a bit first. :)

The spindle shafts on these mini lathes are hollow - so you have a bench motor with bed, cross slide, and tail stock, if you need them, and they always come in handy.

I notice you don't use a bench motor, but have a jeweler's lathe instead. Can you do everything you need to like straightening rods with the lathe?
Yes. The only thing I can think of, is holding bigger buffing wheels, because the bed is in the way. If I really want to, I can turn the headstock for this. Though I never need to hold big buffing wheels so it doesn't matter. I can't think of anything else that a bench motor will do that my lathe won't and definitely nothing that I actually need to do.

I'm interested to see others if they have photos of their repair areas.
I don't have photos. But I can describe it for you - a kitchen table, a cardboard box with my belongings, a macromotor (mind the "a"), a (selfmade) vice in the attic. And a blow torch. And big vats of elbow grease.

Hey, I'm a hobbyist.

Wanna see my vice? Eh? :rolleyes:

I just cleaned and organized my shop in preparation for my next big project---a Mark VI Tenor Sax overhaul
and cosmetic restoration. I hurried and took some pictures before it turns into a complete mess again.

Shop001.jpg

This is the workbench. The covering is shoe sole material that you can cut on and is very heat resistant.

Shop004.jpg

This is the other side of the "L" shaped work area showing the vice (too small) and bench motor.

Shop006.jpg

This is a close-up of the plexiglass tubing tool caddy on a turntable I made. Almost all of the hand
tools I use are within reach of my right hand. Now if I could only learn to put each one back when
I am finished with it to keep my bench from getting cluttered.

Shop008.jpg

This shot shows my homemade Magnehelic and the collet swedging tool that screws into the
bench top and can be removed when not in use.
Shop007.jpg

This is a closeup of the homemade fluorescent leak light I use.
Shop012.jpg

This is my very important shop assistant, best friend, confidant, and all around nice guy - Toby.
(Tobias when he gets in trouble.) The two best things I have done in my work area have been to
use the shoe sole material as a bench covering, thanks to tech Jerry Gilbert (may he rest in peace)
and to install Phillips TL 950 fluorescent bulbs in all of the light fixtures. Sunlight at noon is measured
at CRI 100 at 5,000 Kelvin. These bulbs are CRI 98 at 5,000 Kelvin. The bright light helps to see detail
more clearly, and helps during the winter months to combat SAD -- seasonal affective disorder. My wife
and I are planning on moving into a home with more space in the next year, and I am looking forward to
a larger shop area to spread out and maybe get a lathe and have a separate buffing area.

Back
Top Bottom