Replacement For Pedler Low Eb Key

I have acquired an old Pedler bass clarinet, which is in reasonable condition for its age except for missing the low Eb key on the bell. I bought a generic replacement that almost but not quite fit, and one repairer tried to cut and solder that key with disasterous results. Have also gone to several other repairers, who basically don't want to deal with it. Does anyone know where/how I can get a workable replacement key?

Depending on where you're living, sending the instrument off to David Spiegelthal may be an option - he's very experienced at fitting keys onto elderly and off-brand instruments. (he's in Virginia).

Just out of curiosity - where did you find that nearly-suitable replacement key?

Dave didn't want to get into this one. And the key source, which I dealt with briefly for the Eb key and for floor peg parts a few years ago, I can't seem to find the paperwork for the transaction, can't remember the name of the website (must be getting old), and couldn't find it today with a Google search. I will keep trying to find it. I believe the Eb key was an aftermarket version for a Leblanc, Selmer, or similar horn.

Source For Replacement Keys

OK, I finally found the source I used before. It's Votaw Tool Co. (votawtool.com). They primarily make and sell instrument repair tools and supplies, but also carry a limited supply of replacement parts. I notices they still carry the same Eb key I bought several years ago, but I need someone who knows how to make it fit.

I just happened upon a link to this video by Matt Slausom. He seems to have just completed a bass clarinet bell key and already has the set-up to do one like yours. You might contact him at the email address given in the video and see what he would charge to do another one.

In any event, it is cool to watch how a key is fabricated in this fashion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U72UxsFzpzg

Back
Top Bottom