Rescuing reeds!

Wow!

Thanks so much for the comments and advice Julian; I really really appreciate you taking the time for me.

Just to sort of confirm what you're saying: I started out playing alto and doing just about everything wrong in the embouchure/tone-production department (eg using #3.5/4 reeds on an 8* Link HR); in particular, since switching to tenor I've been working very hard at getting rid of a very bad habit of biting that I developed on alto, precisely because my set- up was so ridiculous (and because I wasn't getting free advice from awesome pros like you :)).

I could really be a poster boy for the idea that bad habits are hard to unlearn: now that I've figured some stuff out, I strive and strive to play with a nice relaxed embouchure while practicing, and sometimes I think I even sound half decent, but as soon I get on the bandstand I turn back into old clamp-jaws again!

I've got a couple of nice MPs I like to use, all of which are between .95 and .100, which I sort of think is the ideal (for me) tip opening for tenor? I'll usually use a 2.5 or a 3 "strength," depending on the reed type. I think I've become more sensitive to reed quality lately because I'm trying so hard in my practicing to be conscious of everything that's going on in my tone-production: the second I start to bite, I stop, regroup, and try to get back to relaxed embouchure+good air support.

I do have one smaller-tipped piece--a nice vintage Selmer LT. I bought this thinking it might be a good idea to practice with a smaller tip than I'm planning to play on, but I did some "research," and the common opinion seems to be: "practice what you're going to play."

Again,

Thanks Man!

reeds

Hey, just a thought, to be honest a lot of what has been discussed is highly technical and much individual, which after all is why we have favourite mouthpieces and reeds etc etc. At the present time there is a seller on Ebay selling Rico Concert Selects, Evolution I think, from the photo. These are duo packs and 40 (Reeds) at a time. Price £10 plus postage. Now that makes for pretty cheap reeds. As we all appear to mess around with our reeds, sanding, shaving, slicing whatever, is this not a reasonable buy? Or, does anyone have experience of these reeds or seller? Are they especially concert quality and unsuitable for adjusting? If not then 40 pence for a reed is pretty cheap v. £2.50/£.3.00.

All £ to $ conversions are subject to market variables, which means you have a round 2 minutes to calculate the US cost! Can you guys over there is the USA please resolve this banking nonsense asap! We have no money in our banks, or any that they are letting out!! I'd like to change my mortgae but cant cos of all this credit stuff!

World has gone mad, and how am I going to sell my refurb horns when no one has any money???!!!!

Regards

Back
Top Bottom