Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

RIP: My Father-in-Law

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
... died at age 66 about a week ago after complications from a double lung transplant 3 years ago.

He played Eb alto sax and my wife will be bringing home his horn. It will either become an object d'art or will be repaired and lent out to kids in her school -- it's a fairly old Bundy.

There were easily 100 or so people at the funeral and the party (yes, party) that was thrown afterwards. Hey, I don't think I even know 100 people.

He'll be missed!

Thanks. It's unfortunate that I didn't know him better. One of the problems of living 1600 miles away.

Man time is flying by; so many people to meet, family to get to know, and things to try. I like the idea of his instrument finding a new owner. What a gift for the lucky recipient. Our lead alto in the MJB plays a Bundy because two years out of college and even though he works at Microsoft, that's all he can afford. He sounds awesome on it by the way.

My father-in-law and his wife lived in MI, along with one of my wife's grandparents. They all died within the past three years. My wife's brother (guitar & vocals) and his wife live in MI. My mother-in-law and my surviving grandparents-in-law live out here in AZ. My sister (flautist), 4 of her kids and her husband live near SOTSDO in TX. My mom, her husband and my oldest niece (22) live in Buffalo, NY. My father died a few months ago; he lived in TN.

I have about 22 aunts and uncles (accounting for approximately the same amount of cousins, if not slightly more) and they're spread all over the place.

In other words, no matter where we live, we'd leave someone out. That's both good and bad, depending on how you look at it!

I like it when funerals have a celebration element to them. While the leaving of a loved one is a sad event, I think it's better to remember the good times and the moments of laughter and joy.

My condolences Pete, to your wife, you, and the kids. This has definitely not been an easy time for your family. You are in my thoughts. Best wishes...helen

I like it when funerals have a celebration element to them. While the leaving of a loved one is a sad event, I think it's better to remember the good times and the moments of laughter and joy.
Reminds me of the quote used at my father-in-law's funeral. "Not always right, but never in doubt." His son told it and it got quite a chuckle. That's nice because my FIL had a great sense of humor.

I've always found it a little bit on the morbid side that I've gone through far more funerals than I've attended wedding (singular). Humor and funeral never seem to reconcile in Taiwanese circles on the matter.

Cheers to life.

Back
Top Bottom