RSR Low C Bass Clarinet

I wonder why manufacturers don't use more roller linkages? I assume it is because of the expense, but the rollers sure seems to work better.

Could be. It could also be for the same reason they would use sharp-ended adjusting screws on sliding, screw-against-cork bumpers:

1. They haven't learned about friction yet, and no-one there actually plays the instrument themselves at all, i.e., they aren't aware of the problem.

2. They know about the problem, but they don't care. They found that they are able to sell the instrument to those who haven't learned about friction yet, and don't play the instrument well enough to be aware of the problem :)

As mysterious as that question is, I'm more curious about how WWBW could justify stocking/selling something in this condition.

As mysterious as that question is, I'm more curious about how WWBW could justify stocking/selling something in this condition.
Maybe they don't know about friction and/or don't play these instruments either. :)

Or...

...it just could be that they don't give a rat's ass...

That said, it is quite possible that, once a design is frozen, it retains a certain amount of inertia - too much trouble to clear the new materials to use with von Bülow in procurement, too much trouble to get Ferd to redesign the end of the key, or to have Chiang set up the lathe to turn the bearing surfaces, or even to retrain Lui-Hai to slip on the sleeve and upset the end (with an old ball-peen hammer) instead of sticking on some peel 'n' stick cork.

I do know that I was always loathe to change an established system that I had set up at work, especially for what I viewed as nit picking details. These giants of the musical instrument industry may be much the same way - great minds think alike!

Hugo must be 90 now, and yes, he sounds great. I played in his band for some time. Max's too.

That must have been great. I've no illusions that I'll be able to play at that level, but to see/hear what can be done..... Must keep my eyes open and see tham again while I can!

Back
Top Bottom